“An Oasis in the Desert of Cairo Hassle”
Review of Hotel Longchamps

Hotel Longchamps
Ranked #22 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Sometimes, even for those of us who love Cairo and Egypt, it can be a bit much. The hassle, the traffic, etc. Hotel Longchamps is an Oasis for your trip to Cairo, a place you can always go back to and be treated well, have a peaceful, clean and enjoyable space to be in and relax.

If you are lucky enough to get a room, this place is located in a charming and quiet part of Zemalek. The rooms are clean and nice, the staff is professional, the location is perfect and breakfast buffet is a nice meal to enjoy whether you are there for work or pleasure.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kampalasean
There are newer reviews for Hotel Longchamps

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Had a great time staying at Hotel Longchamps! Compared to the other hotels in Zamalek, this one has great value and good service!

While the hotel itself is tucked in a somewhat run-down apartment building with a very creaky/scary elevator that barely fits 2, the room itself (I got the executive room, which is well worth it!) was spotless, new, and the bathroom was beautiful. The only thing was that our toiletry bags were attacked by ants in the morning, so we had to keep anything with fragrance in the fridge. =P I don't blame the hotel for that since you really can't do much about ants.

I really loved the location in Zamalek, as I had stayed in resorts in the previous days in Egypt (Giza and Luxor). this finally allowed me the chance to explore "real" Cairo, walking around the Zamalek district, walking to and from Tahir Square, and taking taxis (it's SO cheap) to and from the Citadel, Old City (Coptic), and Khan al Khalili (at most 15-20 LE max with the meter). There is a supermarket nearby and lots of food and coffee options. Highly recommend Le Peking, which is literally next door to the hotel tucked in an alleyway. As a Chinese person, I thought the "Egyptian" take on the Chinese food was quite great.

Hebba was a great host, as is Ali, who was super helpful with restaurant and entertainment suggestions.

The airport transfer was worth the 85LE since even though we got a slightly cheaper price at the airport ourselves, it took out all of the hassle for just 10 LE more. I would recommend it if you're not the adventurous/experienced traveler or haggler. =)

This was a great stay and I will definitely come back to Hotel Longchamps. Thank you Hebba and Ali!

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to Executive room for the space.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kryzak
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel. All of the staff were very kind and helpful. My room was spacious and pleasant with effective air conditioning in the 40 degree weather. And the breakfast was good. I also felt safe in that area of Cairo. I don't know the city well, but it seemed more quiet and leafy than other areas. And it was more cosmopolitan, which made me feel more comfortable. And all quite reasonably priced. I would definitely go there again if back in Cairo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank zmrzlina
Reviewed July 15, 2012

From the moment we were greeted at the reception desk, we knew we had discovered the perfect place to stay for our week in Cairo.

Our room was spacious, well appointed and equipped, and clean. It's large balcony gave us a private place to relax and observe the activity on the street below. And, Longchamps also has a number of delightful common areas for conversation, reading, relaxing, and sharing stories with other guests. There is also a computer available to all guests.

I cannot give enough praise to the staff. They were all friendly and went out of their way to help. By the end of our stay, we considered them friends.

The breakfast room is lovely and the breakfast selection was complete. Dinner is also available, with one selection of the day. Light fare can be ordered throughout the day.

We would absolutely choose Longchamps for future visits in Cairo and recommend without reservation to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jan000
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with friends during June 2012. It is a small hotel, but very pleasant inside. The staff are really friendly and also very helpful.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. We were able to sleep well and had a good nights stay.

Breakfast was really nice too and the whole place was able to be kept cool, despite it being over 35 C.

The only minor points was that it was difficult for the Taxi to find the hotel, so I would recommend you try and find the exact location before leaving for your trip. If necessary, print out a google map and show this to your driver. Also, the free wifi was great, but slow if many people use it at once, so please be respectful of other guests. The wifi speed it out of control of the hotel, so I don't think they can do much about it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank garfieldhouse
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here two nights at the beginning of our Egypt tour and two nights at the end. We couldn't have chose a better place. The staff was wonderful. Gaby was great with taking care of our reservation, arranging airport pickup, and answering all of my questions. We enjoyed both of our rooms, the buffet breakfast, and the helpfulness of the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that our stay was enjoyable. I was so happy that we did not stay at one of the big Western-style tourist hotels. We felt completely safe and we liked the location of the hotel. If my husband & I ever come back to Cairo, this is where we will stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Portland_OregonSadie
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Longchamps is located on a nice residential street on the lovely and quiet Zamalek island, an oasis in busy Cairo. It's located on the 5th floor of a nice building, and the staff is super friendly, professional, and helpful. Lovely balcony for relaxing and enjoying the strong internet signal which works perfectly all throughout the hotel. Rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. They offer snacks during the day, and the place is well kept, sort of boutique style.It's really a nice little haven. I got sick and went to the reception desk to ask for something tummy soothing to eat. The kitchen was closed, but he made some suggestions on what I should have to help me feel better, and even continued to ask me how I was the duration of my stay. They offer a shuttle service which is, by tourist price standards, good, and even packed a breakfast box for my ride to the airport that morning. I would recommend this to anyone. I felt very safe here, as I came during a very rough time for Cairo. Nearby you have restaurants, cupcake stores, snack places, a bank, cafes... and it's all walkable.

Room Tip: I recommend it for women traveling alone. Cairo can be scary for a woman alone, and Zamalek is an oa...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo