“First step to the true-sided pyramid”

Step Pyramid of Djoser
Book In Advance
$48.00*
and up
Discover Cairo: Old Capital of Memphis and Step Pyramid of Sakkara Private...
$58.00*
Great Pyramids, Saqqara and Memphis Private Day Tour
$85.00*
Pyramids and Saqqara day tour
Ranked #25 of 324 things to do in Cairo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Djoser's pyramid is very important in the history of ancient Egypt - piling mastaba after mastaba on top of one another was the first step in creating the first smooth sided pyramid. Overall the pyramid and grounds were very good, the pyramid itself was not a let down although there is always continued conservation being done - you could also go atop a balcony and see the shafts for the King's southern tomb. In the distance you could also make out the pyramids at Dahsuor. You can get quite close to the pyramid but not many people do, didn't see any toilets there either. Not as good as Giza, but historically a "must-see".

4  Thank Zakerias

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really wanted to visit this pyramid the way the Egyptians always did, by camel. No way would I ever go to a pyramid in a tour bus or taxi. I have a friend in Saqqara who has camels so off we went. It took many hours through the dessert to reach here but was well worth the trip. On the way we met locals and stopped to drink tea with them. All incredibly interesting. The pyramid itself was wonderful. I can't do it justice by describing it. We also got special permission to take photographs (Moustapha has a friend who has a friend.....) You just have to go to experience this yourself. On our return we were chased by a policeman on a camel. What a sight that was! He wanted to know why foreigners were traveling local style and not on an air-conditioned bus with other tourists. I don't know what my friend said but the policeman left us alone after that. One of my best trips ever!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is one of the most unique pyraminds I saw. It was called the step pyramid and now I know why. it's very cool I loved it so much

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Most of our group had ' read up' on this pyramids history.
We spent an hour exploring and chatting to an old man who told us that this pyramid has magic powers if you visited in winter..quite a good marketing ploy!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

It's a nice place to visit, but make sure you change your money to Egyptian LE as soon as you arrive in Egypt because then you won't be ripped off by 'tour guides' in every direction you turn to who will want you to pay them in £ or $ or €. If you so much need a tour guide, then get one but bargain and agree on a price before he takes you to any site. They are very cheap to get, we got one at just 50LE though he wanted to trick us into giving him US $. That's the only one we used and he barely knew what he was talking about. the rest of the sites we read about them at different websites and only wanted to see them. Use Cabs or taxis that have metres because they'll show the exact amount you're paying. Ignore every greeting or approach by strangers apart from Tourist Police dressed in white and don't accept offers, it's a trick we learnt the hard way on the first day. Do a lot of research before travelling if you can. Wish you all the best Africa can offer, StellaJ -Uganda