“Historical Jewel”

and up
Islamic Cairo History Tour
Ranked #31 of 325 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest university in the world is built around this ancient mosque, which has been the center of Islamic scholarship since 975 AD.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

World's oldest university and this mosque stand side by side and a must see for travellers. It is within touching distance of Al Hussain and Al Al Moyed street which has many heritage sites lined up.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"minaret"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had an unforgettable visit at Al-Azhar Mosque. I don't understand the fuss about the full robe from the previous comment. My wife found it even funny to wear this full robe and we took lots of fotos. And hey, come on, of course it's worn out..., we're in Cairo and not in a 5 stars boutique!

You definitely should try to climb the prayer tower which gives you a fantastic sight of the neighbourhood and Khan el-Khalili market. The muezzin let us up and showed us the way with his flashlight through the dark, narrow staircase. That was really good fun. Of course, without bakshish it won't be possible (after negotiating I gave him 40 EGP).

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were told that I had to wear a full robe even though my head, neck and shoulders were completely covered and I had on clothing that was loose fitting and very conservative. The robes were filthy and torn in addition to being made of heavy and therefore hot material. I would not recommend going there. They insisted that out guide(an Egyptian) also wear one. They said it was required by President Morosi. Egyptian women coming to pray were also being required to put one on and they were clearly upset as well.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved it here. It is more beautiful if someone was explaining the history & the significance of the place, together with classes taking place. Their classes are different.