“Spicy Tagine - fabulous trip to Morocco”

Encounters Travel - Day Tours & Extended Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$719.00*
and up
6-Day Pharaonic Tour from Cairo
Ranked #15 of 267 Tours in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: We specialise in imaginative, adventurous, small group tours and travel-goers. What they have in common is a passion to go-a passion to encounter the vast diversity of our planet for real.We are a UK registered company, with full bonding and financial protection through ATOL and IPP. Our owners and directors have over 50 years of experience between them of arranging this type of travel, from driving overland expeditions and running travel companies both here in the UK and on the ground.
Moscow, Russia
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Spicy Tagine - fabulous trip to Morocco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I went on the Spicy Tagine tour to Morocco in March 2014, and I must say I enjoyed it a lot, every day was full of new experiences, new places and new emotions.
Our group was just the right size - 14 people, from different countries, more or less the same age (which is important, you know), we made friends very quickly and enjoyed each other's company... keeping in touch after the trip. Our guide Zou-Zou, a very open and cheerful person, somehow managed to make everyone feel happy:).
I think that the tour programme is well-thought-out. It covers mostly all interesting sights in Marrakech and southern Morocco. A very good combination of history, culture, nature and entertaining. And 3 days in Essaouira in the end of the trip is a perfect time for relaxation before going back home. I really think that adding Essaouira to the trip helps understand how diverse this beautiful country is. So if you have an opportunity to stay in Morocco for 12 days, I would recommend you to go there as well.
As for the hotels where we stayed during the trip - I liked most of them, but for the hotels in Tinerhir (which was more basic) and in Zagora (maybe I just had bad luck with the room). Breakfast could also be more varied in southern Morocco hotels.
The time in a berber desert camp was an exciting & unique experience: camel ride to the desert to see the sunset, stargazing was awesome, a night in a berber tent... well, the last one was really less exciting for me, but I know many people who enjoyed it:).
The whole trip is very well organized, so you don't need to worry about anything, just enjoy a good company and a fabulous country of Morocco.
Huge thanks & looking forward to another trip with Encounters Travel, next time to Nepal:).

• Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“9 Day Moroccan Mosaic - Magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We got back recently from a 9 day tour of Morocco, specifically the south. Wow what an amazing experience. Our guide Idris, and our driver Monir felt like long last family by the end of it. They were so helpful and friendly and even took time to teach us Berber and Arabic. Always smiling and full of information and questions it felt like we were travelling with friends rather than on a tour. The group we were apart of were a variety of ages, backgrounds and beliefs and Idris did a fantastic job at uniting the group and we left with 9 new friends. I have been on many group tours and it is very very very rare that everyone wants to hang out together every single evening.

We did encounter a sandstorm the evening we were supposed to sleep in tents in Merzouga. Idris very quickly found us all comfortable options to sleep in rooms and avoid eating Sand all night.

Thank you so much for an amazing experience and we are looking forward to our return to Morocco and many more Encounters Travel adventures in the future :)

West Covina, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“India - 9 days Indian Express - disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

It was my first trip to India and with Encounters. I was told I might be charged single supplement but not until after I booked, I was charged 55% more than the price they listed which I think it's not reasonable. The pace of the tour was very slow, we went back to the hotel early or mid afternoon (if we had lunch before going back) almost every day with no optional tours or suggested activities for us. Most hotels we stayed were below the average standard (I will give 3 star or lower) and almost all in very remote locations. Some local guides were aggressive, one guide even lured us to a very expensive restaurant and ordered something not on the menu... The last two days were completely waste of time, only hours of driving from city to city with nothing to see or worth to stop. I don't think I will join their tours any more, it's not worth it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank win11
Danniell S, Manager at Encounters Travel - Day Tours & Extended Tours, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Win11,
Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the tour as much as you, or we would have liked.
It was unfortunate that we were not able to pair you up with another single traveller on the tour, but we do try to make the single room supplement rules for the tour clear on our website and tour dossier, and these should also have been shown on the site through which you booked the tour. I’m sorry if this was not made clear enough when you booked.
I’m not sure about the 55% price difference you mention. I can see that you bought the tour at a discounted price and while we have reduced our prices for the tour this year, you still paid significantly less than this year’s tour price, and also almost exactly the same amount as the other people on the trip.
When designing our itineraries we try to balance out busy sightseeing with free time to explore the places you’re visiting a bit more independently. The first few days of the tour in Delhi, Agra, and on to Jaipur are actually pretty full, with a whole day of sightseeing from around 09.00am to sunset in Delhi on Day 1, 4 hours driving plus visits to Sikandra, Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal on Day 2, and then around 5 hours driving plus visits to Fatehpur Sikri and a couple of hours at Keoladeo National Park en-route to Jaipur on Day 3. We then intentionally slow the pace down in Jaipur and provide two half day sightseeing tours with free time in the afternoons. Jaipur is a fascinating city and one which we find people enjoy exploring on their own, or booking an optional extra tour such as kite flying, market tours, craft workshops etc.. I accept that these optional tours may not have been explained as well they could have been in Jaipur and we’re putting together some new literature explaining these.
The last two days of the tour start with a drive from Jaipur to the Shekhawati region of Rajasthan. We get there by lunchtime and the afternoon is free to explore on your own or with a member of staff from the hotel to see the village and mansions. The idea of this stop is to experience the slow pace of life in a sleepy Rajasthan village and have some more leisurely time after the pace of the big towns you’ve been in before. I understand that you went to a party with the hotel manager that evening. The next day then returns you to Delhi and we’ve found that our travellers generally like to arrive by mid-afternoon so that they can do some final sightseeing or shopping themselves in the afternoon/evening before flying home the next day. Again, I accept that we could have done better in explaining your options for this free time and we will work on improving this for future travellers.
With regard to the guides and restaurant meals, the guides can only responsibly take you to restaurants that are more geared up for visitors than locals and have less spicy food and good hygiene. This does make them more expensive, but the guides pay for their own food and you should not be asked to cover it. They may sometimes suggest interesting local dishes for you to try, but you should not feel obliged to choose anything you don't want. I’m looking into this further.
Overall, I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy the tour as much as expected. We remain happy with the general pace of the itinerary, but will look at doing better at explaining the various options available during the free time on the tour. We’d love you to travel with us again, and hope you’ll reconsider trying another tour or destination in the future.
Collingswood nj
“South Africa garden route 9 day tour-fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Went with my daughter and had a wonderful trip beginning to end. Best tour guides Terrance and Gladman. Good hotels and great activities. Highly recommend Encounters Travel. They are very responsive and all went seamlessly. Was a Living Social deal and we really got our money's worth.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“y exprience to the holyland tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

it was my first trip to Israel with travel Encouters. I was anxious of traveling alone but I was connected to a wonderful group of 24 tourists. The tour guide was amazing. The hotels were fantastic. We visited so many places including historical sites. We had a wonderful time. I will definately book my next trip with Travel Encounters.

Visited February 2014