“A Shopping Experience”

$36.00*
Private Walking Tour to Khan el-Khalili and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan
$19.50*
and up
Private Tour to Ibn Tulun Mosque, Gayer-Anderson Museum and Khan El Khalili...
$47.25*
Private Tour: Alabaster Mosque, Sultan Hassan, Khan el-Khalili
Ranked #19 of 323 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Islamic Cairo, this busy and colorful open-air bazaar is filled with unique and exotic items from spices and perfumes to jewelry and souvenirs.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We visited the Khan around 1300 on a weekday, I visited with my parents, sister and brother-in-law. We visited with our tour guide - Rasha (from Egypt Sunset Tours-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). A security guard in a suit accompanied us throughout our shopping experience, however, we never felt there was any danger. There are so many stores that many do have similar items but with the sheer quantity of stores you should be able to find what you are looking for (I bought books, scarves, a soccer jersey, Egyptian statues and more)...

Having our tour guide with us was great since she could assist us in bartering with the store owners. The statues I purchased started off with the store owner wanting $250USD each and ended up selling them to me for $25USD each (we used her tactic of walking away....and the store owner ended up running down the street to catch me to say we had a deal)...

Overall it was a great experience. Quotes such as "Everything is free", "I want to smell your money", "I have everything you want" and more were said in jest and made for a fun environment

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited the souk just after dinner, which in retrospect wasn’t such a great idea since we had a frantic time looking for public toilets, which seemed to be in short supply there. We didn’t come across cafes and such till later. Unlike the brand bazaar in Istanbul, this souk seems to be largely uncovered, so I imagine it might be hot visiting in the daytime. At night, the streets were brightly lit from the light of the shops.

Many of the vendors were quick to approach tourists and reluctant to let us go easily, so being firm is important. Generally, the vendors were friendly though. The area seems to be sectioned by the type of goods sold, since we wandered into an area populated by electrical appliances towards the end. We didn’t end up buying anything but it is probably worthwhile to spend an hour here just to experience the atmosphere.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was very much looking forward to the bartering experience, and the sites and sounds of a real Egyptian Souk. I was disappointed to find that every stall/store front was filled with the exact same touristy trinkets. I did enjoy the spice markets, and am still enjoying the delicious Hibisicus tea I bought.
Be ready to be mobbed at every turn, and we found that switching to a different language didn't help either ... no matter what we were speaking (English, Spanish, French, even Afrikaans), someone always knew what we were saying and could harass us in that tongue!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

many times I visited Cairo, I have to go to this place many times a week, great place for shopping and enjoy the ancient folkloric of egypt, shopping is cheaper but you have to bargain and you will get good prices , people are very much friendly, they know how to make you buy, most of them they know many languages even the uneducated ones, english,spanish,italian,,
its good to taste food there and the shisha

1  Thank Fadia M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

a place binding between culture and history of old Cairo on a side .. and shopping and lovely cairo night life on other side .. so please don't miss it !!