“Harassed”

$36.00*
Private Walking Tour to Khan el-Khalili and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan
$19.50*
and up
Private Tour to Ibn Tulun Mosque, Gayer-Anderson Museum and Khan El Khalili...
$47.25*
Private Tour: Alabaster Mosque, Sultan Hassan, Khan el-Khalili
Ranked #19 of 321 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Islamic Cairo, this busy and colorful open-air bazaar is filled with unique and exotic items from spices and perfumes to jewelry and souvenirs.
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Hard to appreciate the culture and vibe when you are
1, constantly harassed even followed
2 , faced with aggressive sellers if you question the obvious lies they tell you about the product they are selling ie: the material type and or try to agree on a reasonable price
3, feeling unsafe, in particular when one of the few nice shop owners insists on accompanying us 4 females when we visit the cash point in this area .
4, feeling threatend when told by the locals we are with to hold our handbags on the inside and securely .
5, have young children sellers asking for you to please buy ( sad)

The above i assume more prevalent if you are Caucasian and female .. Makes you a prime target !
Didn't see and tourist police around and I bet it was required .

Lots of the stuff is junk but it could be enjoyable if you are with a group that includes males , have nothing on your person that could be of value ( including a phone ) cover your hair and face if you are an obvious looking tourist to avoid being harassed .

3  Thank Joanne_In_Dubai

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had visited Khan Al-Khalili area yesterday with some of my new friends, unfortunately most of the shops were closed because it was sunday. But some of the shop were opened specially souvenirs shops, the place was quite and clean. There was no bothering from buyers as usual. I enjoyed my time there.

1  Thank mittle
Reviewed January 17, 2013

In Khan Al-Khalili, I almost hear music coming from history,, this place is hard to me to describe.. All i can tell you is : make sure you do not miss this visit before you leave Cairo,, it has all the essence.

1  Thank RFaroukEGY
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I love this souk but im sure unless you look like a local you are going to be swamped by people trying their hardest to sell you stuff!! its a little overwhelming at first but i think if you are there long enough they will get used to you and wait for you to come to them...

the people in the souk will try and rip you off even though the items you purchase would of cost you more in your home country, you still want to get a bargain...

i bought some scarfs that the vendor promised they were made in Egypt... the tag was in Arabic so i trusted his word... a week later i got a guide of ours to translate it and of course it was made in china... as i live in cairo i will be going back to Khan Al-Khalili and i will put up with being harassed as i love all the items in their..

some of the best things i heard was... "don't break my heart", "is he your husband..? ah lucky man", "ill make your dreams come true"... while I'm pretty used to this sort of stuff my poor sister in law who is as pale as the moon with the lightest blue eyes didn't take it so well.. i can at least thank that i have brown hair, brown eyes and some what tanned skin....

cut a long story short! i would go there but just don't listen if you get offended easily!

2  Thank BriannaJ17
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I did not really want to visit this market as I was already stressed by sellers on the street. Everyone though advertised me to go, so at the end I surrended. I found it just a huge place where to buy cheap clothes and really not much handicraft products. The spices sellers were a few as well.