“Lovely hotel with beautiful deco”

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza
Ranked #1 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed at the Nile Plaza Four Seasons for 3 nights. It is a beautifully done up modern hotel and is fairly new. The staff was very friendly and welcoming and did not ask for Bakshish or tips which is a national pastime here otherwise. Only the driver of the limo who left us at the airport was digruntled with a 20 LE tip.

We had a very nice welcome as we had called up and informed that we had two kids with us. They had arranged for a baby cot, rollaway bed, a basket containing a few diapers, all baby products like soap, shampoo, baby oil, moisturiser etc. There was a four seasons t-shirt for my older daughter on her bed and a bathrobe and slippers for her size as well in the bathroom. On the table they had kept a surprise welcome with chocolate cakes with their names on it, mango juice ( which was yum and we ordered it every day after that), and a small pack of colours and activity book for each girl. Needless to say that we were extremely pleased by this thoughtful gesture. They had a kids menu in room service which was useful for me as I did not want to risk feeding the kids outside in the city.
The rooms were ok sized although we had no proper view. Considering that the hotel was hardly full we could have got a better view, but we were not complaining. the balcony was big and we regularly had our meals there. The bathrooms were huge and well fitted out. The room service was prompt and pleasant.

The decor of the hotel was very modern and stylish. I specially loved their flower arrangements which were huge and breathtaking and changed frequently. The decor of the Aqua restaurant was the best in my opinion. There are a variety of restaurants to choose from Bella ( Italian), Zitouni ( Lebanese), Aqua ( Seafood), Spice ( Cantonese), Poolsode BBQ and Grill, And a bar and reception lounge with light snacks. Only grouse is that as the hotel is across the road none of them are on the river as such. Some have a view though of the nile. We had dinner at The Hyatt acroos the road one day and the location of their open air food court is excellent as it is bang on the river Nile with breathtaking views of the city. truly recommend a meal here.

We went at Ramadan time which I think is a mistake as almost everything form sight seeing spots to shops are closed from 3-8.30. So we could do nothing in the afternoons and evenings and one negative was that the hotel even closed down the pools from 6 pm onwards as they have their dinner buffet at the poolside at that time. We went with the kids at 6 pm one day to the pool only to be told that we were not allowed to swim. They have an indoor pool but that was closed for some reason. I feel that this was the only sore point of our trip.
We took the hotel recommended tour to the pyramids. The guide Hannah was excellent and gave us a tailored tour as we had small kids with us. She took care of my little one and also provided endless supplies of wet wipes and carried my stuff and took pictures of us even without asking, arranged a camel ride for my daughter and bonded very well for my little one. She even took care of my girls while we stopped at a supermarket enroute to get some supplies. Truly recommend her as a guide specially if you have kids.
I thought that the tour to the museum arranged by the hotel was too expensive as it was priced the same as the tour to the pyramids. I took a private tour with Rasha one of the guides recommended by tripadvisors members. Although she is very well read and gave us good information. She is not patient with the children and was annoyed at their constant interruptions. She always walked 15 feet away from us and was upset at our pace. She is probably best suited with families without kids.

All in all we had a wonderful time. But Cairo is not a clean or pretty city. One must do is a Felucca ride on the river nile at night . At 60 LE for one hour it was worth every penny. Do not go for a cruise or a motor boat ride. Just hire a Felucca and get a real thrill!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mwkGeneva

Reviewed July 28, 2009

I really love this hotel. There is nothing to reproach. Perfect food, lobby lounge, housekeeping, view, room, room service and security as well.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank forexvienna
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I was booked in the hotel via a group of partners were we had an offsite in the fourseason. Now, since I do go to egypt alot and familiar with it very well, I decided to extend couple of days as a solo traveller to enjoy and pamper my self.

Everything was perfect, till a bad event happened which tested the metal of this wonderful experaince !!, I had Food Posioning " from a resturant NOT From the hotel", came back to my room, wokeup around 6 AM totally unable to move, called operator and infomred them of my situation, the doctor was in my room in 15 minutes with a fourseason Security, I was attended to in an unbelivable attention as if I was in a medical center, and carred for by all staff..

what really made it for me, two days later, as I was trying to eat something more than hospotal like food, I went to their italian resturant Bella, while I was ordering, the Waiter overheard me speaking on my cell to a friend explaining the siutaiton I had, he made sure to offer me an alternative menu, talked to the chef to ensure I will have the best meal possible yet enjoy a gourment meal..

FOUR SEASON NILE PLAZA... THANK YOU, This is my best ever hotel Experiance and I have been all over.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank ohashem1
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Everytime the arguement goes to Four Seasons Hotels, it's time to sit down and be amazed.
I want to give you a quick but bright example of how much attention to the client is a of primary importance for those guys.

After a long stroll in Cairo, I arrived in the lounge and took a seat in the sumptuous lobby bar. having nothing to to while waiting some friends that where actual guests of the property, I started to browse a map I had in my pocket to kill the time.

After less than 2 minutes, I spotted a waiter carring a tablet with newspapers coming into my direction: this is what I call amaze someone.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Excellent service, beautiful guest rooms and common areas, great pool, food was excellent. Exactly what you'd expect from a Four Seasons. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Excellent business hotel in Cairo and ok for leisure. Perfect service, however the rooms needs to taken care of and upgraded to a more modern touch. Upgraded to mini suite upon arrival which was very nice with excellent views of tne Nile. Good food, however extremely expnsive wines and liquor. Cairo is Cairo. Extremely busy, a bit dirty and a "been there, done that" experience overall. It really doesn´t matter that much, but being charged for using the internet when you pay more than USD 500 pr night is not what I would have expected. Small thing, but disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This is without doubt a fantastic hotel. …everything including the rooms, food, service and facilities is first class.
We stayed here for two nights during a whistle-stop tour of Egypt and couldn’t have been more pleased. Admittedly, we paid extra for a Nile view room but I’m sure that all of the rooms are equally well appointed. Unusually for us, we ate in the hotel, and although it’s not cheap, the quality of the food and service was way beyond our expectations.
Our room had a bedroom, sitting area, two TV’s, sofa, desk and chairs, really big bath / shower room and loads of cupboard space. A view over the Nile topped it off nicely.
Although we had a fantastic stay and did the usual tourist sightseeing (highly recommend the pyramids, obviously), we found Cairo a little daunting. This is the only place in the world that we’ve been to that we didn’t feel comfortable walking out and doing our own thing – not that it feels unsafe, it’s just so vague. Maps are wrong or non-existent, there doesn’t appear to be a city centre, and everything is just so congested, hot and frantic that we ended up hiring a guide and a car (very cheap – probably the best way to get around). We were told that Cairo has 27 million people (excluding the unregistered): I can’t verify this but it’s an enormously populated city crammed into a reasonably small space.
One thing that got me about Egypt in general is that unless there’s money involved, nobody wants to know. This is probably a bit contentious but from what I could see of all the historical sites in Cairo and Luxor, they’re only maintained because they generate cash. Everyone holds out their hands for tips – even in places where a service charge is included. People demand money for using the toilet (just don’t pay unless it’s an official pay on entry facility), and they’re mostly just scammers watching for tourists….just say no. I was even asked for money by one of the tourist police at the pyramids for taking a picture – so just imagine how much help they’d be if you found yourself at odds with a trader! Noting is priced and having to negotiate every single thing gets a bit tiring as you know you’ve probably been done over….
Don’t let it put you off though – it’s a great place to visit, just be aware that you will get hassled and be prepared to ignore it. Funny thing is, if they didn't hassle people so much they'd probably sell more but I guess they don't understand other Country's culture too well. The other thing is the so called “Egyptian time”….complete rubbish. It’s not a quaint cultural thing at all, it’s just bad service. This hotel can deliver good service, so I don’t see why other places can’t as well. Do what you’d do anywhere else and walk – the service soon gets better.
As others have said, alcohol in the hotel is expensive, but it is everywhere. I don’t think the ratio between the hotel and the shops is that far away from that in the UK, but wine seems to be a novelty here. It's worth noting that none of the staff in the hotel asked for tips, or even hung around expectantly. In my book, these are the people that you DO tip!
We’d definitely go back to this hotel again if we were in Egypt.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple