“The staff needs to be changed”

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza
Ranked #1 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Toronto, Canada
“The staff needs to be changed”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The lobby is stunning, the rooms are nice but for the most part I got service I'd expect from a prison guard while sitting on death row.
I went out to the pool and was greeted by the lifeguard with "are you staying at the hotel?" When I said yes he demanded (not asked, but demanded) I show him my room key. I did but it didn't matter 2-3 mins later security was poolside.
I went down to the reception to complain, waited 10 mins for the hotel manager to come to the desk (understandable it's a big hotel and I'm sure there were more pressing issues) but then I was told it was probably because I "don't look like a guest". What the heck does that mean? I'm suppose to shave every day when I'm on vacation? I'm only to wear my Gucci swim suit to the pool?
I have allergies to food and asked what food hate nuts in it, the waiter thought that was funny. I asked if I could speak to someone that worked in the kitchen as they may think the question was more important. The manager of the restaurant (the buffet) came over and I explained to him that my allergy was very serious and that eating a nut could potentially kill me. He told me I was "talking ridiculous". Finally he brought out one of the cooks from the kitchen and pointed at each dish and asked if there was nuts in the dish. The cook couldn't even say No, he just tutted through his teeth.
I understand the security at the front door, but I got the shake down each and every time I walked into the hotel. Other's just walked through the metal detector. Even when they set it off they were allowed to go in without a second thought.
I wouldn't go back if it were the last hotel in Cairo, until 90% of the staff has been changed. There were some very nice people that worked there and unfortunately when I was getting grief from other staff, they would look at me as if to say "I'm so sorry you are being treated like this" ... I don't blame them I'm sure they were concerned about having a job in the morning if they said something.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JymMorton
NilePlaza, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza. We are concerned to learn of your experience during your stay with us. Needles to say, what occurred does not adhere with our service and standards and we regret that you left the hotel with a negative impression.

Please rest assured that our constant aim is to provide only the highest level of care and attention to our guests and the fact that you feel that you have been mistreated by our staff, is of great concern.

We would like to kindly ask you for your contact details in order to be able to make a thorough investigation of what had happened and to make sure that your experience will not be a recurring one.

Mr. Morton, we hope we will have the chance to restore your confidence in us and to show you our ability to give you a first class service that Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts are renowned for. I appreciate your understanding and for bringing this important matter to our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Giza, Egypt
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I took the Valentine's day package offered by the Hotel. And it was Amazing. We stayed in the Corner Suite which was outstanding and spacious. The Dinner and Breakfast Buffets were spectacular. I'd definitely celebrate valentine's day here every year if I can. Great service and Very Helpful Staff.

Room Tip: Corniche Suite (Corner Suites) are Amazing in upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
NilePlaza, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza.

We are delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with our level of service and the offered package.

Please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to Nile Plaza in the near future.
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This is simply the best. Yet, most expensive in Cairo. I have to admit that it's worth the money. Food, atmosphere, staff is amazing too. Moreover, it's central and accessible to most vital parts of town. I would definitely recommend if you can afford it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NilePlaza, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor following your stay at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza.

We are truly delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with the level of service offered, food and beverage, our staff and our location.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to Nile Plaza in the near future.
Treasure Island
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My first and only experience staying at a Four Seasons Hotel.

Certainly the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. Beautiful room, huge bathtub, smart and helpful staff. I really liked that you needed your room key to access the floor via the elevator. This kept people off our floor who did not stay on our floor, which created a nice and quiet atmosphere.

The pool area was open 24 hours and stunningly clean and peaceful.

Spending time with the wonderful and friendly Egyptian people was the highlight... staying at the Four Seasons made it all the more special. Thank you Cairo.

This hotel was perfect.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review on Trip Advisor. We are honored by your positive feedback about your stay at Nile Plaza. Your comments about our property, staff and safety make us proud.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon!
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Their outlet Spice, service was excellent! Waiters and staff are attentive and very knowledgeable of the menu and the food. Other than this they are able to anticipate every diners needs from the condimenst to drinking water, thus we just had a great meal without having to ask for anything more. Definitely excellent food and service!

• Stayed July 2012
NilePlaza, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for the great review! We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you were delighed with the level of service offered by our hotel. It was also a pleasure to read your appreciative words about our Spice staff, I will be sure to convey your kind compliments to them. We are proud of our employees who take extra steps to ensure that our guests' needs are met, and who provide the quality of service we promise.

Looking forward to welcoming you again!
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Four Seasons is the most modern of the main hotels in downtown Cairo and is lovely. Like all Four Seasons, it is decorated largely in a generic international style, so it does not feel particularly Egyptian. This is not a problem, but do not expect quaint. The rooms are generous and I think the view from the less expensive city facing rooms is actually more interesting than the Nile ones. The pool is also very nice.

I was there during Ramadan, so the restaurants were really focused on the Iftar meal and did not have their usual menus, so I can not really comment on the restaurants. The buffet breakfast in the lobby is diverse, ample and very pleasant.

Tourism in Cairo is off dramatically and I was on a group negotiated rate including breakfast that was very reasonable, especially for the quality. Everything else (the restaurants, bar, etc.) are close to major international city pricing. Take advantage of the situation and go to Egypt, there is unlikely to be a better time.

Room Tip: Do not pay for the Nile view, take the city view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ceshorey
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel!

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you were pleased with the level of service and quality offered by our hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Beautiful hotel on the Nile. Security though, is a big deal, and there's not much walking around outside the hotel by yourselves. But the rooms are beautiful, and spacious. The restaurants are many and varied. We liked best, I think, eating in the bar looking over the Nile at sundown! Or also enjoying drinks or English style tea in the lobby. The flower arrangements took our breath away! Summer in Egypt is really hot....I would rethink going there then! Rumor has it that October until March is the best time!

Room Tip: They had a spa, but I didn't go look at it. There was a beautiful swimming pool, which we coul...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel followed your stay with us! We are delighted to learn that your stay was an enjoyable one and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our hotel.

Once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to Nile Plaza!