“The mixture of good and bad”
Review of Concord Hotel

Concord Hotel
Ranked #95 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Moscow
“The mixture of good and bad”
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed there in March for 5 nights totally (4 and 1). The hotel itself is so-so. The room was not cleaned properly (they usually washed only the center of the room), the tubs were leaking, and the breakfast was poor. The internet connection in the rooms (though promised) did not work, but there was a computer for joint use on the first floor.
However, the staff’s work was wonderful! They assisted us to book a Nile cruise for a very good price (190 usd per person for 3-nights tour, all inclusive), arranged tours in Cairo and when we wanted to book a room at their hotel for 1 night more advised us to do it via internet, since the web rates were lower. The last should be really appreciated! They helped us to spend less!
And all the time they were polite and with a good sense of humor.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I stayed there in Sept., not by choice but business mandate. Tried 2 seperate rooms, as on first night they were 'over-booked'. Both rooms in dire need of major detailing and upgrading. First room had a broken chair, ripped couch and barely working tiny b/w TV. When I tried to charge my laptop, sparks were flying out of the AC socket upon connection.
Second room was slightly better; tiny color tv that worked, no sparks, etc... However, in shower, the cold water provided only a trickle while hot water was at boiling. The shower knob fell off, and the shower head hose was too short to be able to hang properly on its hook. The window curtain track could only cover center half of the window. Surprisingly after leaving a tip for the maid, they added another track the very next day so then I was finally able to completely block out the outside and have some privacy at night.
Both room's carpets had years of wear as did everything else in the room. Basically I tried not to touch anything I did not have too and sanitized the objects that I did (yes, as a frequent traveller I always carry wipes).
On upside; hotel staff was very nice and pleasant. Restaurant food was OK, although am fairly confident that the bellboy was also my cook. Hotel bar had minimal supplies, but no surprise here, since it is a muslim country; just good luck trying to find someone to tend you. Free breakfast buffet.
Ultimately, hope to never have to stay there again and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We spent our honeymoon in Sharm El Sheikh which was wonderful. As our return flight was from Cairo, we decided to stay in Cairo for 1 night to be able to see the Museum and the Pyramids (there is nothing else to see in Cairo)
Our 1st mistake was to decide to stay in Cairo, because 1 full day is enough for museum and pyramids.
Our 2nd mistake was to decide to stay in Concorde Hotel Dokki because it was really dirty. All towels, sheets, floor, elevator.. Breakfast was selected with the most cheapest products. Also the room was too small. But of course this quality should have been expected with this cheap prices.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeziTozu
fyn
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!
The rooms are dirty, in the restaurant the floors are dirty, the tables are dirty and the glasses are dirty - i mean come on!
If you eat at the hotel you are sure to get at stomach infection, because hygiene is not a word in this hotel. I have never experienced anything quite like this!

BTW - i would not recommend going to Cairo - people are very annoying and pushing you to buy stuff all the time. They are trying to rip you off all the time. Worst vacation of my life

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We have just come back from a four night stay at concorde dokki. Ok so its not the hilton but for £30 pound a night it was fine. We were on the 5th floor with views over cairo - very nice. The room was a bit dated but clean enough for the price. I have noticed alot of complaints about staff. Yes they can be rude but we found the way we behaved impacted significantly on how we were treated. This goes for all of cairo. The best thing to do in general is be assertive not aggressive and of course polite. But being polite does not mean agreeing to every tour, tout and begger however -smiling also helps.

A SERIOUS WORD OF ADVICE - IGNORE ANYONE WHO APPROACHES YOU ON LEAVING THE HOTEL - NOT MATTER HOW FRIENDLY. EMAD AND HIS BROTHER FROM ROSETTA (SHOP LEFT WHEN LEAVING HOTEL) ARE ESPECIALLY BAD THEY WILL JUST SELL YOU OVER PRICED TOURS. ALSO BE WARY OF HOW GENUINE THE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE ON FOR THEM ON THIS WEBSITE.

We turned right in leaving the hotel and walked 5mins on same road to tube. It was only 1 egyptian pound or about 15p to go anywhere in central cairo. It is a bit confusing at first but people and guards are friendly and should help. We were frequently offered seats (real egyptians were really friendly) Sadat is the main stop for museum and main shopping area.

Beware of strangers on the street befriending you saying they are police or doctors they will just try to take you into shops to buy things. With regards to the pyrimids - we got a taxi there for 40 egyptian pounds and another back for the same price. Just do a bit of friendly haggling. This isnt the cheapest but hey it was the pyrimids and beats the hundreds of pounds you pay with a tour company. Beware when you enter the site there are people saying they are officials and will try to take your tickets and take you off to some temple for more money - these are notthing but touts and should be delt wth harshly.

Lastly - always say salamoo laykum (hello) and Shukran (thank-you) it really goes a long way and the genuine locals smile and really appreciate it. La shukran (no thanks) is also very important.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This hotel (which clearly it is not) was my first introduction to Egypt. Thank goodness that the rest of egypt and its people showed my a fantastic time.
But this place was horrible.
First of all, the photo of the hotel on tripadvisor and other various websites is fake. Took me a while to find the place because that is the image I had in my head. The sign in real life is nowhere near as big, and the building is a lot more dilapidated than as depicted in the photo.
The room was small, the main door to my room had a defect where the door had a 1cm wide gap running on the edge of the door when it was shut. I could see movement of people on the outside corridor. Section of the ceiling was rotting and falling apart. The toilet shower curtain had a build up of mould and the shower rubber matt was laden with old mould and hair .The TV had poor reception and was just local tv. The AC was a box which blew warm dust rather than conditioned air. I am no princess, I have stayed in many places a lot worse than this, but I would expect to pay a 1/3 of the price (which is exactly what I did moving to a hostel in Talaat Harb st which had cleaner and better facilities).

But my biggest biff with this place is the management staff. Customer service was one of the poorest I had ever seen. They simply lacked common courtesy and friendliness. They became particularly unfriendly when I rejected their overpriced travel tours and even more so when they realised I booked a tour with Hamdi the perfume seller (when you exit the hotel turn left and walk down 20-50m...hamdi or one of his workers will find you!).
There was a certain dread everytime you walked through the lobby.
During checkout, the counter staff, whom I had numerous arguments with, grabbed my sunglasses which was hanging from my shirt collar and asked if I could give to him as a gift. After politely saying no...repeatedly, he again expressed his dissapointment and lectured me on his financial successes and how my sunglasses were "nothing" to him.
I initially intended to stay here for 4 nights but I did myself a favor and left after 2 nights, moving to a hostel in downtown cairo.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank speedyjoke
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Nice location near the nile. Also there is a guy named Emad who works at the shop just to the left of the hotel. He's very nice and helped us a lot during our stay in Cairo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
King Hotel
#24 of 137 in Cairo
Victoria Hotel
Victoria Hotel
#85 of 137 in Cairo

Been to Concord Hotel? Share your experiences!