“Worst memories of Egypt”
Review of Concord Hotel

Concord Hotel
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed June 13, 2010

This hotel (which clearly it is not) was my first introduction to Egypt. Thank goodness that the rest of egypt and its people showed my a fantastic time.
But this place was horrible.
First of all, the photo of the hotel on tripadvisor and other various websites is fake. Took me a while to find the place because that is the image I had in my head. The sign in real life is nowhere near as big, and the building is a lot more dilapidated than as depicted in the photo.
The room was small, the main door to my room had a defect where the door had a 1cm wide gap running on the edge of the door when it was shut. I could see movement of people on the outside corridor. Section of the ceiling was rotting and falling apart. The toilet shower curtain had a build up of mould and the shower rubber matt was laden with old mould and hair .The TV had poor reception and was just local tv. The AC was a box which blew warm dust rather than conditioned air. I am no princess, I have stayed in many places a lot worse than this, but I would expect to pay a 1/3 of the price (which is exactly what I did moving to a hostel in Talaat Harb st which had cleaner and better facilities).

But my biggest biff with this place is the management staff. Customer service was one of the poorest I had ever seen. They simply lacked common courtesy and friendliness. They became particularly unfriendly when I rejected their overpriced travel tours and even more so when they realised I booked a tour with Hamdi the perfume seller (when you exit the hotel turn left and walk down 20-50m...hamdi or one of his workers will find you!).
There was a certain dread everytime you walked through the lobby.
During checkout, the counter staff, whom I had numerous arguments with, grabbed my sunglasses which was hanging from my shirt collar and asked if I could give to him as a gift. After politely saying no...repeatedly, he again expressed his dissapointment and lectured me on his financial successes and how my sunglasses were "nothing" to him.
I initially intended to stay here for 4 nights but I did myself a favor and left after 2 nights, moving to a hostel in downtown cairo.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank speedyjoke

Reviewed June 8, 2010

Nice location near the nile. Also there is a guy named Emad who works at the shop just to the left of the hotel. He's very nice and helped us a lot during our stay in Cairo.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2010

the hotel was ok' just' I was travelling alone and need a cheap place to stay it was clean room was cleaned everyday which was a plus but they wake you up if you don't have the don't disturb sign on the door I was move out of my room because of something or the other breakfast was good I love my boiled eggs and they brought it up to my room so all and all my time there was not bad if you just want simple time alone no hassels

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 16, 2010

This place is tired, old and dirty. I know the price isn't much but at least they could try to give the bathroom a good scrub down every so often. Years old dirt around the toilet, sink and bath plus the sheets i had were dirty and no duvet? just a grubby wool blanket. This goes beyond budget hotel it's more of a slum hotel. Also do not take one of their over priced tours ( taxi ride) you will be very very dissapointed.

There are dodgy men around the vacinity who will try to be-friend you and offer you tea, they call it egyptian hospitality, but this is just a con to sell you their cheap tat at a very high price ie dodgy chemical filled perfumes and fake papyrus.

Do not go to the bloke about two shops left of the hotel, you can't miss him he sits out looking to snare unsuspecting westerners (there are men like this all over Cairo, they like to lie to you and tell you they work for the government or that they are a doctor so be prepared) he will try to con you into taking one of his so called tours at 100LE by showing you some made up testimonials, the tours are mainly a taxi ride out to his mates shops where they try to sell you their crap, culminating in a trip to the pyramids where you 'll get charged an additional 400LE (basic) 500LE (an extra few yards) for a rushed horse ride around the pyramids. Trust me its much better and cheaper to get your own taxi ride for 50LE or 2LE (25p) for a bus ride to giza and pay the 60LE entrance fee to the pyramids and take in the sites in a relaxed method yourself. Learn the phrase la shukkran (no thankyou) or if that fails then sod off should do the trick.

If your after a relaxing holiday then Cairo is not the place to go. You will probably need a lung transplant when you get back from the exterme pollution, thats if you make it back without being run over by the dodgy driving of the egyptians. If there is such a thing as an egyptian driving test then im pretty sure this includes a test on who can press their horns for the longest and loudest.

Another point, there is a call to prayer in the vacinity at about 4am so your alarm call is sorted.

Also be aware that egyptian men like to pee up against any wall they come across and throw their rubbish anyware so the place stinks like a sewer.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank waititgo
Reviewed April 15, 2010

You cant beat Dokki for the price. The rooms are by no means luxury, but if you're paying $25 a night for a hotel in the middle of Cairo, you arent shopping for luxury. The TV is essentially useless and the beds are small, but the place is clean, safe, and if you tip your cleaning ladies -like you should-, theyll take extra special care of you, even leaving little towel sculptures for you as a thank you.

Its not the Ritz, but it is absolutely adequate.

I did my homework before going, so my experience was overall positive, but Ill reiterate for those of you who are studying up for your trip:

The taxi ride from the hotel should be 75 Egyptian Pounds. (The pound is basically .20 USD, so figure $15.) Make sure the price is set up front, leave the driver a tip, but dont believe their "pregnant wife" or "sick kid" story. *DO NOT PUT YOUR BAG IN THE TRUNK* Its a rookie mistake every new world traveler makes (I learned the hard way in China), and it's basically a blank check for a greedy cab driver. If you cant access your bags, they own you. Ride with your gear.

Do take the time to learn the Egyptian number symbols from the license plates of cars you nearly collide with on the roller coaster ride that is Cairo driving, theyll come in handy later on.

Do not book cabs or tours with the front desk at Dokki, it sounds cheap at the start, but theyll get you before the trip is over, and you arent gonna like how you get got. There is a tour place just outside and to the left of the hotel called Rosetta. Go there and ask for Emad, he is the extremely friendly brother of the two who own the shop. They arent cheap, but they wont rip you off or sneak in hidden charges either, the price will be set upfront and competitive, the guides are friendly and helpful, and the advice is good. Honesty is a rare commodity in a city like Cairo. Be sure and let Emad know you found his place because of his reputation on Tripadvisor, it never hurts to encourage people in their positive actions.

If you want to eat, go left out of the hotel to the road next to the gas station, go left down that road and you will find an Alfa market with good prices and a nice, clean restaurant called Tikka with some quality meat dishes. Neither of these establishments will try to rip you off or pressure sell you, their prices are fixed. If you need to change money, there is a (Hilton?) hotel at the round-about to the left of Dokki with a bank on the ground floor. Youll get a fair rate there.

At the sites, don't let any native Egyptian take your picture unless you are willing to pay for it. Dont let them give you a "gift" unless you are ready to pay for it. Frankly, dont talk to them unless you are ready to pay for it. I personally carry headphones and MP3 player with me and wear them whenever I go out, it helps alot, even if the music isnt actually on.

If your guide takes you to a shop, buy what you want at a price you want. If you dont want it, or you dont like the price, dont be afraid to walk away. They might drop the price, they might not, either way, be ready and willing to say "no". They're salesmen, not your new best pals. You wont ever see them again, and you wont ever see that money again either.

Cairo can be a fun place. Just do your homework beforehand, and dont let your cab drivers pressure you into leaving them a huge tip. Be fair, but be firm.

Note: You cant sleep anywhere in Cairo without the sounds of car horns, just be prepared for it. It never stops. Cairenes use the horn to let other cars know they are passing them or that they are present in the blind spot. They use it every time this is true, so imagine how frequent that is and multiply it by millions.

Well, I hope this helped. Have a good trip.

And Emad, Cheers from Prague, buddy.
-Chavis

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2010

this hotel is less then average, i rate it single star but is listed 3 star,
rooms are not very clean and comfortable and not good value for the money ,
its just an average hotel in the price of 3star. i would say a double room stay shouldnot more then £15 per night .

but is better then europa hotel cairo.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Never had I had to write a review of a place I visited until Cairo. The hotel itself has a presentable lobby, decently clean rooms, decent service and a decent breakfast. However, as all other reviewers have already done , I'm writing a warning to all future visitors to this ancient city. As a foreigner in Cairo for the first time you are sure to be ripped off. Most Cairenes in the tourism business see a traveller as a fresh piece of meat (to take financial advantage of). Just make a left out of the hotel and find Emad's shop "Rosetta". Emad is one of the "good guys" in this crooked city. A day to the Sakkur, Memphis, and the Great Pyramids cost 200 pounds for me and my friend. This did not include tickets into the different sites.
My journey started at the airport where I was asked if I needed a taxi to my hotel. I wasn't jipped on the price (75 pounds), but the driver did hit on me and did drop me off at the wrong hotel. I had to walk about 15 minutes to the Concorde Hotel. When I got to the hotel, I found out the reservations I made on the internet did not go through, so the front desk asked me to pay 60 US dollars per night instead of 40 and I had to pay IN CASH. I should have went across the street to the Sheraton, but knowing that my friend would be meeting me at this hotel in 3 days, I decided to settle there and deal with my credit card company later if by chance the front desk was lying.
I then made a tour with the front desk to the pyramids. I asked only to go to Dashur, Sakkara, and Memphis since I would see the Great Pyramid area with my friend. Well, I paid 50 US dollars for the day (which cost only 20 with Emad at Rosetta) and was picked up 8:30 am sharp. Well, he took me to the first 3 sites (I was surprised that I had to pay admission and parking for each), but he said that he would take me to the papyrus store and perfume store and then to the Giza Pyramids. At this point, I thought it was strange that he wanted to take me more places than I signed up for, but I thought this was part of Egyptian hospitality. When I realized that the papyrus guy wasn't letting me look at the paintings on my own, but being pushy and hitting on me, I knew this was part of "the tour" to make me spend money. The hotel, the driver, the payrus and perfume shopt and the stables (that's later) are all working together! I didn't buy any papyrus (which is much cheaper at Emad's store by the way) but when I was taken to the perfume store, I did buy some perfume. The man tried to sell me the bigger box but I refused. I think I got a good deal on the perfume though (400 pounds for 4 bottles)...the Khan Khalili bazaar sells cheap versions. The driver told me we would be going to the stables and if I thought it was too expensive we could get something to eat. Well, I think the stable owner was told by my driver that my friend would be coming a few days, so presented a lowered the priced for me. The camel could cost 300 pounds, 340, and 360 for short to longer rides. I paid 300 and the owner asked me why. What does he think, I'm made of money? I told him that I would buy the longer rides when my friend comes. So I went on the camel ride, but my camel guide ( young 20 year old boy) was telling me that there was nothing to see inside the great pyramid and nothing to see inside the sphinx area...that it was closing time anyway. I can't believe they didn't realize how far I've come to see these great monuments. We spent time at a papyrus and perfume store, but I didn't see inside the Great Pyramids because it was closing time?!!!!!! My guide stopped his horse in front of mine and asked for a tip BEFORE the ride was over. How strange! He asked me 100 to 200 pounds, but I only gave him 30. I told him to take it or leave it. I told him that I was not satisfied. He took it. When I got back, I was hit on by another stable guy. I told them I was upset that I wasn't able to get inside the great pyramid. (I found out later it's 60 pounds to be on the grounds, 100 pounds to go inside the great pyramid)
I decided to go to the Pharonic Village...and take my own taxi. By the way, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll be asked to pay 20 pounds...while locals may pay 5 to 10 pounds. The Pharonic Village was almost 200 pounds and I waited 45 minutes for the English speaking tour boat to arrive. However, by that time, I had enough. Even though the staff was telling me that the English boat was ready, I got my money back and I took another taxi to the Museum. The guides outside asked for 150 pounds for a one hour tour, but I decided to look on my own. I next went to a restaurant in my guide book. I asked the waiter what he would recommend, he looked annoyed but carelesslypointed out 2 things. I asked for wine and he looked at me like I did something wrong. At the end, since there was a service charge in the bill, I didn't tip the waiter. The waiter opened the leather case the bill had come in as I was getting up and outrightly said "no tip?" I said it was in the service charge. He told me that that was for the kitchen...but since I didn't like the way he presented the whole situation, I said "no tip" and he cursed me out as I was walking out the door. ( I found out later that the service charge did not go to the waiter but this does not give him the right to curse me out). I went back to the hotel. I didn't feel like a stroll..or having tea somewhere...I know I'd be ripped off, harassed and the city was dirty... I thought about cutting my trip short and going somewhere else...maybe Luxor and Aswan...but knowing my friend was coming the next day, I convinced that I would have a better time with someone, someone to laugh at all this with.
The day my friend was supposed to arrive, I tried to go to the zoo. The doorman at the hotel tried to help me out and told the taxi driver to buy the ticket for me. The doorman said it would be 5 pounds. But the taxi driver bought a ticket for a child (1 pound) and took the rest of the money (14 pounds). I found out too late. By the time I realized the situation, the cab had left. Anyway, the sign at the zoo says 20 pounds for non-Egyptians. So I tried to buy one...they didn't have change for a 100 pound note, so I ended up not going to the zoo that day. By chance, I found a taxi driver who had a great attitude and (that put his meter on) and I was ready to go to Al-Fayoom oasis. He called up his wife and told her that they could go on a trip to visit some garden with some friends. I think I helped in making that happen. We both had a good time. He took me to his neice's place and she painted henna on my arms, back and feet for 150 pounds. Finally I met some good Cairenes. Thanks be to God, my friend was at the hotel by the time I came back that day..,.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends