“Good stay but a room change required”

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel for 2 nights in mid October. We arrived fairly late but check in was quick and efficient. We had a room on the 6th floor which was an absolutely fine room however at around midnight, I had to make a call to reception as there is an outdoor nightclub in the hotel and as it was a Friday night, it was a big night at the club. Usually, I wouldn't mind some noise but this was extremely loud (think they had a live singer at some point which was the loudest) and sounded like the nightclub was next door to our room. We had an early tour the next day so I called reception at midnight to ask what time the club would close and they said they'd find out and call me back. About 15 minutes later we hadn't heard from them so my husband phoned again and they immediately changed our room with an upgrade to a suite on Level 19. We could still slightly hear the music but nothing significant. We had a good nights sleep after that and the hotel handled this very professionally.

The hotel also arranged our full day tour which was professional and informative.

After our 2 night stay in Cairo, we were heading to Abu Simbel and asked the concierge if we could leave a bag with the hotel. He said it would be fine. The next morning with a very early flight to Abu Simbel, we tried to leave our bag and the hotel said they could not hold it given we were not returning to stay at the Sofitel. This would have been a huge pain for us but after a small negotiation, they thankfully agreed to keep our bag which was much appreciated.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed October 18, 2010

We travelled to Egypt with Titan Tours and stayed at this hotel as part of a touring group.

Having seen the poor state of the buildings in Cairo we were very pleased to see how pleasant this hotel was on our arrival. We stayed in a luxury room on the 14 th floor. We did venture out onto the balcony however I found the experience quite terrifying due to the height. The balcony was perfectly safe however they are small and appear so flimsy with just railings to stop you plunging over the edge.

The room was very clean and comfortable. As others have stated, the showers are great fun! I can stand for ages under the tropical Rain forest deluge.  I wish these hotels could provide Sky News, CNN and BBC world service was available but they are just not as good.

Breakfast was buffet style, good selection of everything you would expect. Service fairly efficient. The beef bacon was interesting however their sausages looked very unappetising. I found out later that they are actually chicken sausages and quite good.

We made use of two of the restaurants during our stay, La Palameraie Morroccan which was excellent and very good value for money. A 3 course meal for two with 2 local beers and coffee was about £55. I had the CousCous Royale which was scrumptious.

We also tried the Buddha Bar which is Asian fusion. One tip, take a torch if you go into this one as the restaurant is so dark you can hardly read the menu. Beware, the portion sizes are huge. We tried the shrimp and calamari for starters and just one of them is more than enough for two. The food is excellent and the service matched.

The hotel has a brilliant location on the bank of the Nile and there is a small promenade which you can walk along. It feels very safe and its only hotel guests that you will encounter out there. Its fun to sit and watch the many colourful boats cruising past however, beware it can get very windy out there. There is a floating deck restaurant which looked very nice but we didnt get a chance to try it.

No downsides at this hotel, we loved it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2010

This hotel is one of pure elegance. Being on it's own island in the Nile is absolutely amazing. We were on the 24th floor with Nile view. Morning, noon or night the view awed us. The sights and sounds of Cairo were amazing from our room. We ate in almost all the restaurants and the only complaint was that the floating restaurant didnt have alot of variety for someone who has an allery to fish and seafood. The Morrocan restaurant was amazing and we only wish we had gone there more than once. The buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner was fabulous. Lots to choose from whether you are vegetarian or not.

The hotel director took the time to say hello to us even on his days off and made us feel welcome. The pool area was a little inconvinient to get to especiall y like me when you are disabled and stairs are not your best friend. The only way to get to the pool area was through the spa and down a winding staircase (about 15 stairs). Not very disabilty friendly. But once I was able to get down it was beautiful as you could look out on the Nile and watch the bots float by

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We travelled in a group of 30 which was a reward trip from work. Facilities were excellent with lots of restaurants to choose from within the hotel with various cuisines, and the very atmospheric Buddha Bar, which apparently is one of the hippest places in Cairo. Lovely infinity pool, but cut do with trimming the hedge in front of it, as it spoils the illusion between it and the Nile.

The room was excellent, my wife loved the firm mattress, and the shower was absolutely superb. The only slight mark-down here was the lack of a kettle and iron in the room, although to be fair the kettle is a peculiarly British thing!

The only negative notes - we were forgotten about by housekeeping on our first day, and the room wasn't made up, but no major drama. More disappointing was the ridiculous price charged for spirits. 1 measure of cognac cost me the best part of 20 GBP!! I know that Egypt put a heavy duty on spirits, but this was ridiculous. A round of 3 large Jack Daniels and Coke was over 50 GBP!! Very, very expensive. So go, but stick to wine and beer!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2010

A very bitter experience with unfriendly, unhelpful staff who have no idea about business traveler requirements. It all ended with an annoying exchange of emails leading nowhere but to wasting more time.
Previous to my stay, I sent a fax clearly mentioning payment of one week of stay should be made by corporate American Express, including all stay extensions. Once at the check-out desk, half the payment was made by Amex but I was asked to make the rest by personal card for bill of a couple thousand dollars.
The desk officer was rude, not friendly or helpful, and refused to check the fax and other documents sent to him.
A very annoying situation were hotel staff did nothing to try and sort out the problem.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel many times, and I will not go somewhere else. After a crazy day in Cairo, I really enjoy the peaceful atmosphere around the nile, and I love to have my beer on Le deck (I believe the only place like this in cairo). Rooms are great, location is a plus and staff are nice. My company offered me to move to Conrad and I tried, but definitely back to Sofitel.

• Stayed: September 2010
CustomerServiceElGez, General Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah. Its a pleasure to know that you like to stay with us every time you visit Cairo. May I recommend you to take up A | Club membership, our exclusive club for loyal guests.

The management thank you for your loyalty and we take pride in having you as our guest.

Look forward to having you again.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

great location and very quite!! rooms are spacious,
friendly staff, great facilities and really nice restaurants: my favorites the kebabgy and the buddha bar. I higly recommand this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010
CustomerServiceElGez, General Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah on your recent trip to Cairo. We really appreciate your taking time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. We shared your comments with Kebabgy and Buddha Bar management and they were happy to get the feedback. Such feedback helps in staff motivations.

We hope to see you again.