“Very Service Oriented Hotel”

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I booked this hotel very early, before the protests, curfew and travel advisories. I booked a non-refundable rate. I requested a refund from my travel website that I used, www.flightnetwork.com which is a travel site aggregator what used Expedia to book the hotel. The contact at the FlightNetwork contacted Expedia to request a refund since I booked before the protests and travel advisory. After two weeks I was told that the reservation was non-refundable. I called Sofitel and they said I have to call the hotel directly. I contacted the hotel and they responded promptly indicating that they got no such refund request and that they were willing to work with me but they had to get the request from the travel website. I contacted the FlightNetwork again with the contact information I got from the Sofitel hotel directly. They told Expedia to look back into the matter and I finally got my money back. I am willing to bet that Expedia didn't even try to contact the hotel to get the money back, they just said it was a non-refundable rate and took the commission. I appreciate the service levels I got from the Sofitel in Egypt and their understanding on giving me a refund for a non-refundable reservation. I will visit Egypt another time when there are no curfews or travel advisories and will stay at this hotel. Looking forward for that day.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent experience on dealing with the hotel’s Ambassadors. To receive such praise from our guests’ is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed so much the facilities, view and service is a reward in itself.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team, which will encourage them to continue their efforts in this direction.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve your goodself in the very near future.

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Since the moment we entered from the gate i have to admit it every one was so welcoming with a nice smile , checking in was more than easy and in less than 10 minutes we went to our room and also when we asked for late check out at 2:00 it was so easy , just tell them to adjust your room key and they will :)
it was the first time for me and my husband to stay in Sofitel El Gezirah and comparing to other hotels with Nile view this one got the best view is its more than amazing , wifi available all around the hotel, variety of restaurants .
Morning Breakfast in the restaurant Terrance was really pleasant.
Rooms are 't very spacious neither fancy they are extremely modern but overall its is good and beds are comfortable.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and we would come back again .

Room Tip: All rooms with the number 20 ending have an fantastic view over Cairo and the Nile. Ask for a room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yara S

Dear Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you here with us.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed your experience at the hotel. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

Rest assured that your comments about the hotelo’s Ambassadors will be shared with the team.

We all look forward to be of service to you once again at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I loved this hotel, my fav in Cairol. Service was excellent, rooms are very spacious and elegant, mine was on the 21st floor so the view was great too! Very friendly staff, wifi available in all rooms, variety of restaurants. I suggest it to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted that your stay at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah was an enjoyable one.

Thank you for sharing your experience in Cairo and for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are continuously striving to meet, exceed our guests’ expectations and your feedback will be very motivational to continue with our efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the “Jewel of the Nile” in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Iman, the quality manager, welcomed us and assured our wonderful stay. She was right on the mark. From the friendly and helpful doorman to everyone involved in room service and on the front desk, our short stay was perfection.

The staff at The Sud restaurant were there to provide us with our choice of sitting area and the best of service on every occasion. By the way, the Hotel worked closely with our son-in-law and his great parents to provide the best of wedding celebrations as well...couldn't hope for anything better....Thanks.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed the experience and Cairo. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Cordially;

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel. I do know there are many good hotels in Cairo but this hotel is exceptional. The hotel itself and the surrounding grounds are absolutely picturest and I would say the best in Cairo. The hotel is situated on the island of Zamalek in the middle of the Nile and has a beautiful walking gardens that NO OTHER hotel has in Cairo.

The staff were exceptional. I felt very safe, they were very attentive, they were caring and very knowledgable about their jobs and service. The hotel accommodation was superb and clean, the rooms were a good size and excellent value more money. The hotel sales staff were excellent and very knowledgable in booking what I wanted and accommodating my requests. Thank you.

I have never been to Cairo and I know there has been so 'not good' press about Egypt, but we did not see a bit of trouble and we felt safe the whole time. I believe you can see the Egyptian people moving on from their troubles and I think so should the rest of the world. In the week I was there, you could see the transformation through the work on the infrastructure that is going on. I was absolutely mad. Everyone was busy improving their city.

All in all I had an imazining time and definitely be back to stay at the Sofitel El Gezirah. The best hotel I have stayed at....well done Sofitel.

Room Tip: Book early. Ask for a high floor to really take in the beautiful view. Do check when is? or is th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed your experience at the hotel and Cairo. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Following the death of my mother earlier this year, I wanted to do something that we would not normally do. My young son was very keen to see the pyramids and so, in March, we booked to stay here and, later, at the Hilton Luxor. The Cairo booking was made through Expedia.

The civil unrest and murders afflicting Egypt are hideous and one hops a resolution will not be delayed. The clear advice of our Foreign Office, however, is not to undertake unnecessary travel. I have been impressed that, although under no obligation, both Egyptair and the Hilton have readily agreed to refund or forego my bookings (totalling £3000+).

Not so the Sofitel. They insist on holding Expedia to the booking and have ventured only that they are prepared to extend the booking for a further month. This is worthless: there is no guarantee HM Govt advice will change in that time (although I hope it does); and as a family holiday we had booked this during school holiday times.

This, of course, does nothing to foster goodwill. When I return to Cairo I shall not be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MagwCymru2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with your booking at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah.

Your booking was made through Expedia.com. At the beginning of September you have contacted the hotel expressing your wish to cancel your booking.

As we are not in position to negotiate any bookings made through their reservation portal, we invited you to contact Expedia Customer Service.

We recently tried to contact Expedia and raised your request, but unfortunately they need to get the request directly from you. You can contact them either through their web site or through customer service: 0330 123 1235.

While we understand and sympathize with the reason you wish to cancel your trip to Egypt, please allow me to highlight that the situation is now stable in Egypt and most specifically in Cairo, as you can read this in some other recent reviews on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that we could not be of further assistance as the problem should be addressed with Expedia directly. We remain at your disposal should you wish further information.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sofitel Gezirah, Cairo is a lovely hotel right in the middle of the city, yet secluded on the island of Zamalek. Gorgeous views over the Nile and downtown Cairo. Food in the restaurants is lovely. Rooms are incredibly comfortable. Having lived in Cairo I often return and Sofitel Gezirah has become my favorite destination. Easy walk to all, and also easy to get cabs. HOtel staff is polite, friendly and eager to please.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Gina C
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Bonjour,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for taking the time to write to us. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence. Please rest assured that your thanks would be conveyed to all staff concerned.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah in the near future.