“Egypt trip”

Ranked #4 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Melbourne
“Egypt trip”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel provided a wonderful experience with us being here for the first 3 days of our "Exploring Egypt" tour. The refreshing lemon drink on arrival, welcoming greeting from hotel staff whilst we waited for our room allocation. The friendly greetings at all times when moving around the hotel. Lovely, courteous, friendly staff at both breakfast and dinner. Bonjour was my greeting in the morning coming into breakfast. Food was extremely tasty, with ample choices that would even suit the most fastidious diner. Asking for something like nuts or a banana at breakfast was always dealt with a smile, and even on our return for our last night and next morning, two staff asking at breakfast if I would like a banana, both bringing me one each, and us all laughing. You always know when you have been on a really good tour and have had lovely accommodation, when you become sad on departure morning. We had had a power and water outage in the very early hours of the morning we were to leave after the initial 3 days, and on our return we were all upgraded to suites!! Oh and were they beautiful suites. The housekeeping staff always made me feel very special and nothing was a bother, and we shared a couple of laughs together. The bathroom products were first class. I know on Trip Advisor reference to the party boats going up and down the Nile River during the day and evening were extremely loud with music and singing going on, but that was part of the experience and fun, and they didn't go all night, probably finishing about 11 or midnight. I couldn't speak more highly of this hotel and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted that your stay at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah was an enjoyable one.

Thank you for sharing your experience in Cairo and for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are continuously striving to meet, exceed our guests’ expectations and your feedback will be very motivational to continue with our efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the “Jewel of the Nile” in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here for a week and enjoyed my stay. My room was a decent size, clean and well furnished. The view from the window was stunning.

The hotel itself has many facilities, and those which I used were all kept in very good condition, and were clean. It did feel first class.

The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have experienced at a hotel, with a great choice of food, and friendly service. The service at the waterside bar and floating deck restaurant were a little slow, but the food was good when it arrived.

The gym was small, with a limited range of equipment. However the pool, spa, jaquzzi etc were spacious and modern.

The hotel is situated in the heart of Cairo, which makes moving around that little bit easier . Always plan ahead for any journey where ever you are based, as the traffic is notoriously bad at times. The airport and the pyramids are both a 25 minute drive away on a good day; but an average journey time to both locations can easily be two hours (i.e. on a bad day it could be even longer).

The only downside with the hotel is the noise at night from the numerous party boats that cruise up and down the river Nile, and which blast out their music at high volume which penetrates the double glazing. I wear ear plugs, and with the air conditioning on, I could hardly hear the music and I slept soundly. I would recommend packing ear plugs, especially if you are on the lower floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, both to get a better view, and to be further from the noisy river boats.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah for your recent visit to Cairo.

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit. To receive such praise from our guest is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed so much the facilities, view and service is a reward in itself.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team, which will encourage them to continue their efforts in this direction.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Egypt
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were given a great rate by the hotel and for it we had wonderful level of service the breakfast had many options with wonderful taste, the staff is extremely helpful and the guest relations arranged our room as per my request for our anniversary. The room size is good the furniture is comfortable, however I didn't like the pillow and I didn't ask for another as I was staying for one night. The Hotel has many Restaurants we dinned at "The Deck" using the Same Menu as "El Kababgy" with Nice Nile View and great Taste. The Pool is Always Sunny from Dawn till Dusk and has lovely cocktails. Overall it was a nice experience for an hotel in town. P.S: for Foreigners the hotel location is in the middle of Cairo where you can visit all the touristic sites or do your business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment! The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to your room pillow, on your next stay please ask for our Sofitel Pillow menu in which you will find varieties of pillows that you can choose from your preference.

Cordially;

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I loved this hotel, excellent location and wonderful views, I was upgraded to a better room without asking, and I was escorted to my room by a very professional and smiling employee.
One negative thing is room service, the trash can in the room was not emptied for 2 nights, and the mug and spoon I drunk my tea with was not cleaned on my entire stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank joehusse
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

Rest assured that your comment on a detail of your stay was passed over to the concerned manager for further improvement.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you want to get a deal in post-revolution Cairo, look elsewhere. This hotel is a far cry from a "good deal", but it's also one of the nicest in the city. I would have given it 5 stars had it not been for the price, which doesn't reflect the reality on the ground in Egypt

Located in the heart of Cairo, Sofitel El Gezirah is one of the city's landmarks. The lobby looks like it's been recently redone and the outdoor area is enchanting.

The pool area is clean and relaxing. The gym is tiny and good for basic exercises. You have to go through the spa to get to it, which was a bit awkward.

My room was on the Executive Floor (27th). The bed was comfy but the room itself was dated. The furniture was a tad worn and the shower drain was clogged. The room service staff took care of it right away, but again for the price I paid, I expected these things to be addressed before I noticed them.

Speaking of hotel staff, everyone was very nice and cordial. First class service.

I would stay here again if they bring down their prices a bit.

Room Tip: Any room facing the North or South side should be good, although I prefer the North side with views...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah for your recent visit to Cairo.

Referring to your room rate comment, allow me to clarify to your goodself that the hotel has several rate plans that our guests can choose from, please on your next visit ask for the different room categories rates and choose your preferences.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team which will encourage them to continue their effort in this direction.

I look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Sincerely Yours,

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with hubby, big sis and best mate as part of a Thomson's Nile Cruise/stay. On first impressions, it looked fantastic, but it got even better How many people can say they had a lady playing the cello whilst they ate brekkie? Because here, that's what you get. And as for the breakfast, there is enormous choice to cater for every taste possible! You can eat in or outside overlooking the Nile. Whichever is your choice. We were originally bed and breakfast but had upgraded to half board so we also ate in the restaurant in the evenings aswell. This was a vast arrangement of hot food, salads, breads, cheeses, fruit etc. Superb! Our adjoining rooms were on the 19th Floor and we had a wonderful view of the Nile, the city and on a clear day,the pyramids from our balcony. Amazing! We had to sign to have the patio doorway unlocked, presumably a disclaimer in case we fell over the railings! I can see understand why they had to be careful. It was indeed a great height! The rooms themselves were lovely with exceedingly comfy beds. The lobby of the hotel was beautiful. Huge ornate window through which you could see the Nile. Comfy settees. A pianist playing in the evenings. Prior to her playing, there was a little ceremony every evening when Egyptian dressed staff lit the candles around the area whilst playing lovely tunes on a flute. It was mesmerizing to watch! The pool area again is overlooking the Nile. There are free sunbeds and towels. The bar area is quiet and relaxing. All areas are air conditioned. There is a spa but we did not use this. However on passing through, we could see that it was a very relaxing place to be. Staff everywhere in the hotel are lovely. The toilet areas around the pools have toilets, changing areas, showers, vanity areas and free toiletries like hair gel, mouthwash, body lotion etc. The hotel seems to be mainly for what seemed like 'business' people as there were an abundance of 'men in suits' but this did not in any way make us feel 'out of it' as it also accommodated the ordinary holidaymaker exceedingly well. It was one of the nicest hotels that I have been to and would love to go back again. I have never stayed at a Sofitel hotel before, but if this is what their hotels are like, then I will most certainly be staying in them again. This hotel has got all the kind of niceties to make you feel special. Well done Sofitel!

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view. It's beautiful. The higher the floor, the better the view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elainematty
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, May 17, 2013

Sincerely yours,

Norddeutschland
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Location:
Wonderful, just in the middle of Cairo (you could walk to the egyptian museum) directly located at the nile and so far away from any major road (actually in something like a sports park) you hardly hear any traffic noises. There can hardly be a more quieter place in Cairo. Just 20-40 minutes from the airport and about 1 hour to the pyramides.

Rooms:
Big, ample of space, a nice bathroom, lot´s of cupboards, a big TV, a very large and soft bed, a small sitting area and a very small balcony. Clean with all the amenities you could possibly argue to have at such a hotel. Of course a wonderful view out over the Nile and to Cairo. But yet, this is the one serious fault. If your room is below the 15th floor and has a room number in between 3 and 14 ask to change immediately. The fans of the aircondition of the whole hotel go straight up and this mean serious noise, and even rattling in the rooms. Wer had one in the 6th floor first and after we noticed the noise immediately asked to change which brought us up to the 21st floor. High enough one would think but still, you could hear it. Not too loud up there but you get the picture.

Public areas:
Clearly made to impress. A very large hall all nicely decorated, everything clean and nice and large. One bad point: Smoking indoors is allowed. A very nice little garden and the best of all, the heated pool with a superb view of the nile, very nice sitting opportunities and birds around you.

Staff:
Basically friendly and nice but here the glitches start: Check out at 8 am , only one person at the reception, Ordering a beer at the pool I was told, no problem, 5 minutes later: Sorry Sir we do not serve beer anymore, going on the floating deck: "Sorry, minimum charge 200 EGP" "??" "oh, you are guests, sorry,". A gin tonic turned into a vodka lemon... Do not get me wrong, most of the time they delivered but for a five star hotel...
Food:
An extremely nice breakfast buffet with a very good choice of cold and warm dishes, very great choice of bread, sweets, fish, juices, not the best I ever had but surely somewhere high up. Three out of three days we ended up quite full and happy. Lot´s of gluten free food as well if this is an issue for you. For the restaurants, the Turkish and the Moroccan were perfect, the Buddha bar a complete failure (see detailed reviews on those). Then again for the drinks, the glitches start again. First cocktail: Sorry we do not have. Second cocktail (both on the menu), Sorry, we do not have, third, cocktail Gin Tonic, Sorry, we do not have.

All in all, we did have a nice stay the glitches were more fun than anything else but ended up too many for a 5 star hotel and if we had had to stay in the lower floor the rating would have been at best two stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Florian254
Bonjour!

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our services against the market and updates are made accordingly.

Cordially;