“Very nice view”

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

the location of this hotel is great, it's in the downtown but in very calm place.
the room view was great with the Nile river, even the Pyramids can be seen from my balcony in the 21st floor.
the room was clean and the stuff is friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Zaki A
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Bonjour!

Just a short note to sincerely thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cordially,

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Cairo can be an overwhelming city and the Sofitel is really a haven of tranquility. Its location in the middle of the Nile is unmatched, especially if you have a Nile view room. Being a platinum member, I was upgraded to a deluxe room. All the front desk staff I dealt with were really friendly. There were a few minor quirks though. First of all, the A/C in my room was barely working. Also note the beds are very hard. Upon leaving the executive lounge, I was told I was not supposed to be there anymore. For some reason they forgot about my status, however when sorted out they apologised and next day they addressed me kindly by name. A similar awkward situation arose at the pool area when I asked permission to take pictures, even while nobody was actually using the pool. In a very unfriendly way I was told "to rush and get lost". It might be a language issue, but this response is of course beyond rude. Finally, in a city where you are 24/7 harassed by people offering you "a better deal", I was surprised that the hotel limo to the airport was initially offered a price 50% higher than what I ended up paying, then the next day they wanted the initial price again. For some reason I don't expect the need to bargain in a five star hotel. In the end I think it's a great place to stay, but the attitude of some staff members definitely has room for improvement.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor. Rooms ending on 18, 20, 21 have the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Explomondo
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us. I am extremely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations for this stay, please accept my sincerest apologist.

It is indeed a concern that you feel the services offered was not up to the expected fine standards; we will of course take this very seriously and rectify any unusual shortfalls that may have occurred during your stay.

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention, as honest opinion and constructive criticism is the only way that would enable us to improve and meet our guests expectations.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Sofitel for four nights and we were glad we chose it. We had a driver from the hotel pick us up at the airport and check in was very smooth. The Nile view room was beautiful and when the weather was clear you can even see the pyramids from the room. It is walking distance to the central Tahrir square area where many restaurants are (I felt very safe when we were there) as well as other attractions.
Visiting the pyramids is about a 30 minute drive away and Khan Khallili is about 40 minutes drive away due to heavy traffic in Cairo. Each room has a little balcony and there is also a Buddha Bar in the hotel, although very quiet.
Didnt have much interaction with the staff so cannot comment much on that.
The only downside was the sound of the boats doing the nile cruises - they have loud music blasting from them all night

Room Tip: If you are staying several days accompanied, i recommend the Suite that has a smaller room attached...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted that your stay at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah was an enjoyable one.

Thank you for sharing your experience in Cairo and for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are continuously striving to meet, exceed our guests’ expectations and your feedback will be very motivational to continue with our efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the “Jewel of the Nile” in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went on a girls spa weekend to see the Pyramids, Booked Superior rooms with part Nile view , non smoking. Rooms were great, bed and pillow wonderful ! view amazing , location great! loved the spa and swimming pools and all the restaurants. We booked with them the airport transportation and tours. They had a man waiting for us at the airport and took us through customs got us our visa and we were off! amazing service. 30 mins to hotel with a great driver. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful ! check in was a breeze not wait. Love the spa facilities but the workers were not great, not good at welcoming and did not introduce themselves or offer drink and did not show us around. Gym was good free bottled water everywhere! I loved sitting outside with a drink watching the Nile.

Room Tip: You can pay double just to have the same room on a higher floor. The room below 10 can not open door...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Esteemed Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed the experience and Cairo. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Cordially;

Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our first stay was in 2009. We chose it again because it is a beautiful hotel and very well located in the quiet district of Zamalek. We found a very important positive change this year, all members of the staff are much nicer, helpful and friendly than before. Rooms are spotlessly clean and have a wonderful view of the Nile. Buffet breakfast is excellent, plentiful and varied. We stayed in a luxury club room which includes daily free snacks and drinks in the Sofitel Club Lounge. The hotel has a beautiful indoor heated swimming pool and spa and also an outdoor swimming pool. We have absolutely no doubt to recommend the Sofitel and its Kebabgy restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Haydée D

Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

We were very pleased that hard work leaves good memory in our guests’ experience even though it has been a long time since your last visit.

Cordially,

Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was in Cairo on business and was worried when our liaison told us that they changed our hotel reservation. What we got with Sofitel was a wonderful surprise! The Hotel is secure, serene, and clean. The staff is friendly and willing to help you in any way they can. The hotel also serves a great breakfast, load up because the food is amazing!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Kato6736

Dear Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed your experience at the hotel. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

We all look forward to be of service to you once again at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here twice now, about a week each time. The staff are extremely friendly, service was prompt for drycleaning and room service. The restaurants are all really good, you can't beat the location on the Nile. We hung out on the floating bar several nights before or after dinner. Take a taxi to the north end for an extra great dinner at Sequoia, too. I had a river view both times, looking out towards Tehrir Square. I also overlooked a health / sports club that was used heavily well into the night. Even though it had been months since I was here last, the waiter in the breakfast area actually remembered my name when i walked in the first morning. That's amazing.

So, I learned that Zamalek is the name of the Island, El Gezirah means "island". If that helps.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mcoleman
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed your experience at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

Cordially;