“Amazing Summer Night by the Nile”

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was passing through Cairo, when I was stuck with an airline strike, decided to have an veining by the Nile.
First I had my shisha and drinks during sunset sitting right at the water, then went to the main lobby to find a band playing chamber classic music it was just great
The place is great but the service is not that good, they are understaffed and slow.

Room Tip: Panorama view to the Nile
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us. I am extremely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations for this stay, please accept my sincerest apologist.

It is indeed a concern that you feel the services offered was not up to the expected fine standards; we will of course take this very seriously and rectify any unusual shortfalls that may have occurred during your stay.

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention, as honest opinion and constructive criticism is the only way that would enable us to improve and meet our guests expectations.

Sincerely Yours,

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Gezirah for our last two nights during a 10 day visit to Egypt. The comfort and services offered by the hotel were genuinely luxuriant and we did not find it wanting in any way. All service staff were extremely competent and friendly. Our check-in and check-out experiences were handled with competence although they were a bit slow considering the heavy traffic at the front-desk.

We enjoyed a short session at the SoSpa and pool which was well cleaned and well-staffed although we were at points a bit confused without having been shown around upon arrival. The steam-room was fully delightful.

Our only complaint regards the staff-member outside who helped us to hail cabs and arrange limousine transport (The hotel entrance is on a private by-road so taxis do not easily happen across guests without prior arrangements). The staff-member on our first encounter explained the different rates to our destination and helped us quickly find a taxi - on our second trip though the same staff-member ignored us entirely for a good 10 minutes while he serviced other guests that arrived after us.

The location is excellent for trips into downtown Cairo and beyond since it retains the silence of the Gezirah island while still being only 10 minutes away from the hubbub.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hatim E

Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment! The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to the hotel’s valet services, whilst at the same time I thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

me and my Husband spent our anniversary in Sofitel El Gezirah the hotel have the most superb location on the nile the room was nice and Comfortable,We enjoyed the massage session and we loved the pool ,the internet was free in the rooms and anywhere else in the hotel but....the Service was Awful frome the front office Who did not show any care And who was not able to deal with the intensity of guests and the service at the moroccan resturant is awful ... They left us unattended for a long time .. They didn't give any care to the orders and actually provided our orders wrong after a long time they were` unprofessional

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank maha m

Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor, your feedback will be influential in improving guests’ experience.

After reading your review, we have passed-over your post to the Hotel’s Director of Food & Beverage and our Front Office Manager for improvement in these areas.

Please rest assured that I will personally take care of this issue and use it as an example during counseling and training sessions.

Once again my most sincere apologies.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed September 7, 2012

A modern business hotel with some of the best Nile views in Cairo. Rooms are new and spacious, bathroom is luxurious. Food and facilities (such as spa, gym and pool) are all first rate. My new favourite hotel in Cairo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cordially,

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This review isn’t to praise Sofitel but rather to demean it. I am an extremely unsatisfied guest who had the most humiliating experience in my life at Sofitel Gezirah. This comes to you from someone who has an Area role and travels frequently for business and leisure, to various destinations around the world and has frequented plenty of hotels [from Four Seasons to Burj Khalifa] therefore my feedback comes to you as genuinely as possible with no means to talk negatively about my experience, if it wasn’t true.

My brief yet horrible stay [August31st- September 1st, 2012 began firstly by an encounter by the pool when I asked if it’s possible to bring in my own wine and pay the corkage fee we were informed that we cannot, due to hotel “rules” [this is the first time I hear such feedback, because this is a normal procedure in the country]. However, the F&B Manager came to us and informed us that we can- crisis averted.

Second and immediate issue, was that a friend [not a hotel guest] came and sat with us by the pool for a duration of 20 minutes and was rudely informed by a certain Marie Malaak [SoSpa Receptionist] that she had to pay EGP 400 [$65] for a day use, since she’s sitting by the pool. We politely informed her that our friend wasn’t staying that long and it’s not really worth paying the fee if she’s leaving immediately. We then requested to speak to a higher ranking personnel [knowing that this decision isn’t probably hers and she is simply doing her job] she agreed, disappeared and never returned. As we had given a word, my friend left shortly after this encounter- bothered by the manner and tonality of the receptionist.

The following day, our friend returned and stayed the whole day by the pool gladly paying the fee and enjoyed the day with us. However, upon our checkout I was reviewing our bill [EGP 3,124/ $ 256.98] and found that an extra EGP 400 was included. Having questioning this with an extremely incompetent receptionist [Magda Samir Wanees- Guest Relations] it has come to our conclusion that this was the fee that I had mentioned above. You see, what happened here was that Ms. Malaak came back to a residing guest [another friend whom I was sharing the room with] after I had gone back up to the room and made her sign [she UNFORTUNATELY, signed the bill without knowing why or what was this for]

This means that we actually PAID for something that we didn’t use nor take.

For an hour and a half negotiations with the incompetent receptionist, not once were we consoled, treated with respect nor was this problem considered to be solved internally [something that many hotels do and commonly known as HOSPITALITY] conclusion was we were given two choices; either pay or we will be taken to the Tourism Police. A threat, not once have I heard in my life from a) a hotel b) an entity c) a human being.

This is not about the money or refusing to pay the money it is the purely the concept. What happened in this case was fraudulent and extremely unacceptable. The hotel treated us like low lives who were trying to escape from paying a fee at a hotel or maybe even worse. I have never been treated with such humiliation before.

This type of hotel service at a day in age where Social Media is the guide for the common citizen and as someone who has 1K friends on Facebook and 500+ followers on Twitter, I refrained myself from giving this hotel the worst review it has ever seen. However, I will not be stopping myself if I do not get a response from a senior management with a sincere apology to this level of humiliation.

May I also add, that I stayed at Sofitel Old Cataract in March for a private wedding celebration and had the BEST service in the world and in return, they received splendid reviews from me and some 30+ satisfied guests.

The reason I have suddenly decided to post this on TRIP ADVISOR is that there are NO PERSONAL contact emails to ANYONE in SOFITEL OR ACCOR to complain! Which goes to show that this hote is of the worst I have ever been to and will not be recommending it neither to my friends nor business partners!!!

OH! And I ordered egg benedict for breakfast it came with the egg shells on it!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank S F

Bonjour Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations with regard to your recent stay, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have been notified that your goodself was contacted by the Hotel’s Management and that matter was resolved.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback was very important to us. Please rest assured that we took the appropriate measures and addressed the problem to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We had a balcony Nile view room and although the room was smallish, it was very nicely appointed and everything was spotless. The grounds and restaurants in the hotel are fabulous and we could not fault any of the many staff who looked after us during our stay - the service and genuine friendliness were great. The view from our balcony (apart from the very amazing Nile river) was fantastic with (on a cler day) views of the pyramids at Giza in one direction and the Mohamed Ali mosque in the other.
We had dinner at Kebabgy and also at the Moroccan restaurant in the grounds and the food in both was very satisfying and very reasonably priced. However, if you like a wine with your dinner, be warned, the prices of bottles of wine are outrageous. This is not a criticism of the hotel (although I am sure there is still a healthy mark-up) but is probably more a reflection of the government's taxing of alcohol.
Two more observations; the breakfast variety and presentation is breathtaking and is a real treat to start the day off; and security at the hotel is incredible (don't know if it is the same at all hotels) but it includes searches of vehicles, walk through metal detector and bag search - just to get to reception. Out of the ordinary for us, but also made us feel very secure.
All of that said, the ultimate test is - would we stay there again. The answer is a definite YES.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view room with a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed the experience. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Sofitel Gezirah is an excellent hotel in a superb location on the shores of the Nile. Standard rooms are not huge but of a very decent size. The only downside is the carpeted floor… with some stains here and there. Ask for a room on a high floor, from 10th up, to better enjoy the view. Practically all rooms have a view since the building is a circular tower. The hotel also has good facilities including gym, outdoor pool and several restaurants. I have only tried the deck right on the Nile: great spot though the food could be improved. I was also pleased with the service, pleasant but not oppressive and pompous as it can happen in other similar hotels. A definite plus is FREE internet in the rooms and anywhere else in the hotel. A very good advantage since you can end up paying up to USD 20 per day in many other places. Thanks for that and do not change your policy!
A couple of comments or suggestions:
I have noticed that the packaging of accessories in the bathrooms use very thick plastic. Perhaps it would be an idea to consider something more environment friendly.
The other thing is about the cost of a pick-up from the airport: USD 92. A bit steep I must say when you you compare to the EUR 50 max. (less than USD 65) from CDG to the centre of Paris in a very good car (probably even better than the “limousine” that you can get in Cairo). And, how much is the salary of the driver? I think it is really exaggerated!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mariangela P

Bonjour!

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to some points of your stay, whilst at the same time I thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention, which with no doubt will be studied by the hotel management for improvement.