“Excellent”

Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

A modern business hotel with some of the best Nile views in Cairo. Rooms are new and spacious, bathroom is luxurious. Food and facilities (such as spa, gym and pool) are all first rate. My new favourite hotel in Cairo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cordially,

Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah
Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This review isn’t to praise Sofitel but rather to demean it. I am an extremely unsatisfied guest who had the most humiliating experience in my life at Sofitel Gezirah. This comes to you from someone who has an Area role and travels frequently for business and leisure, to various destinations around the world and has frequented plenty of hotels [from Four Seasons to Burj Khalifa] therefore my feedback comes to you as genuinely as possible with no means to talk negatively about my experience, if it wasn’t true.

My brief yet horrible stay [August31st- September 1st, 2012 began firstly by an encounter by the pool when I asked if it’s possible to bring in my own wine and pay the corkage fee we were informed that we cannot, due to hotel “rules” [this is the first time I hear such feedback, because this is a normal procedure in the country]. However, the F&B Manager came to us and informed us that we can- crisis averted.

Second and immediate issue, was that a friend [not a hotel guest] came and sat with us by the pool for a duration of 20 minutes and was rudely informed by a certain Marie Malaak [SoSpa Receptionist] that she had to pay EGP 400 [$65] for a day use, since she’s sitting by the pool. We politely informed her that our friend wasn’t staying that long and it’s not really worth paying the fee if she’s leaving immediately. We then requested to speak to a higher ranking personnel [knowing that this decision isn’t probably hers and she is simply doing her job] she agreed, disappeared and never returned. As we had given a word, my friend left shortly after this encounter- bothered by the manner and tonality of the receptionist.

The following day, our friend returned and stayed the whole day by the pool gladly paying the fee and enjoyed the day with us. However, upon our checkout I was reviewing our bill [EGP 3,124/ $ 256.98] and found that an extra EGP 400 was included. Having questioning this with an extremely incompetent receptionist [Magda Samir Wanees- Guest Relations] it has come to our conclusion that this was the fee that I had mentioned above. You see, what happened here was that Ms. Malaak came back to a residing guest [another friend whom I was sharing the room with] after I had gone back up to the room and made her sign [she UNFORTUNATELY, signed the bill without knowing why or what was this for]

This means that we actually PAID for something that we didn’t use nor take.

For an hour and a half negotiations with the incompetent receptionist, not once were we consoled, treated with respect nor was this problem considered to be solved internally [something that many hotels do and commonly known as HOSPITALITY] conclusion was we were given two choices; either pay or we will be taken to the Tourism Police. A threat, not once have I heard in my life from a) a hotel b) an entity c) a human being.

This is not about the money or refusing to pay the money it is the purely the concept. What happened in this case was fraudulent and extremely unacceptable. The hotel treated us like low lives who were trying to escape from paying a fee at a hotel or maybe even worse. I have never been treated with such humiliation before.

This type of hotel service at a day in age where Social Media is the guide for the common citizen and as someone who has 1K friends on Facebook and 500+ followers on Twitter, I refrained myself from giving this hotel the worst review it has ever seen. However, I will not be stopping myself if I do not get a response from a senior management with a sincere apology to this level of humiliation.

May I also add, that I stayed at Sofitel Old Cataract in March for a private wedding celebration and had the BEST service in the world and in return, they received splendid reviews from me and some 30+ satisfied guests.

The reason I have suddenly decided to post this on TRIP ADVISOR is that there are NO PERSONAL contact emails to ANYONE in SOFITEL OR ACCOR to complain! Which goes to show that this hote is of the worst I have ever been to and will not be recommending it neither to my friends nor business partners!!!

OH! And I ordered egg benedict for breakfast it came with the egg shells on it!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank S F
Bonjour Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations with regard to your recent stay, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have been notified that your goodself was contacted by the Hotel’s Management and that matter was resolved.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback was very important to us. Please rest assured that we took the appropriate measures and addressed the problem to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We had a balcony Nile view room and although the room was smallish, it was very nicely appointed and everything was spotless. The grounds and restaurants in the hotel are fabulous and we could not fault any of the many staff who looked after us during our stay - the service and genuine friendliness were great. The view from our balcony (apart from the very amazing Nile river) was fantastic with (on a cler day) views of the pyramids at Giza in one direction and the Mohamed Ali mosque in the other.
We had dinner at Kebabgy and also at the Moroccan restaurant in the grounds and the food in both was very satisfying and very reasonably priced. However, if you like a wine with your dinner, be warned, the prices of bottles of wine are outrageous. This is not a criticism of the hotel (although I am sure there is still a healthy mark-up) but is probably more a reflection of the government's taxing of alcohol.
Two more observations; the breakfast variety and presentation is breathtaking and is a real treat to start the day off; and security at the hotel is incredible (don't know if it is the same at all hotels) but it includes searches of vehicles, walk through metal detector and bag search - just to get to reception. Out of the ordinary for us, but also made us feel very secure.
All of that said, the ultimate test is - would we stay there again. The answer is a definite YES.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view room with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

We are glad to hear you fully enjoyed the experience. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Sofitel Gezirah is an excellent hotel in a superb location on the shores of the Nile. Standard rooms are not huge but of a very decent size. The only downside is the carpeted floor… with some stains here and there. Ask for a room on a high floor, from 10th up, to better enjoy the view. Practically all rooms have a view since the building is a circular tower. The hotel also has good facilities including gym, outdoor pool and several restaurants. I have only tried the deck right on the Nile: great spot though the food could be improved. I was also pleased with the service, pleasant but not oppressive and pompous as it can happen in other similar hotels. A definite plus is FREE internet in the rooms and anywhere else in the hotel. A very good advantage since you can end up paying up to USD 20 per day in many other places. Thanks for that and do not change your policy!
A couple of comments or suggestions:
I have noticed that the packaging of accessories in the bathrooms use very thick plastic. Perhaps it would be an idea to consider something more environment friendly.
The other thing is about the cost of a pick-up from the airport: USD 92. A bit steep I must say when you you compare to the EUR 50 max. (less than USD 65) from CDG to the centre of Paris in a very good car (probably even better than the “limousine” that you can get in Cairo). And, how much is the salary of the driver? I think it is really exaggerated!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mariangela P
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment! The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to some points of your stay, whilst at the same time I thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention, which with no doubt will be studied by the hotel management for improvement.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I could say that i have fairly scene multiple flavors of Sofitel hotels from around the world, NYC, Dubai, Hongkong, Maccau, and finally Cairo Egypt. And I have to admit, there is a certain level of excellence that the hotel management has been successfully able to convey and transfer around the world.

Sofitel Cairo is located in the heart of Cairo, right on the Nile ! Make sure you ask for a room on a high floor with a good view of the Nile, you will be amazed by what you can see up there. Truly Cairo is a city that never sleeps.

The reception staff were great dealing with guests as they will make their best efforts to make you feel at home. I heard they have a good casino, so if gambling is your thing ,check it out. A selection of fine dining restaurants are available, please make sure you contact concierge to guide you through the selection of restaurants that are available.

I didn't like the rooms, they were small and you can almost feel a french touch of simplicity from the design. I would personally rather go for lavish, spacious rooms that I was able to get at other Sofitel's that i have visited.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, August 28, 2012

Cairo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

The most important asset in any hotel is lacking in this hotel ... Here is an example of what I faced :-
1- the reception staff is rude and unfriendly .. They don't even perform simple things as answering the phone ... Actually one of them lied to me and told me that early check in is iossible before he discovered that I have reserved one already from the guest relations.
2- the food and beverage staff is completely unprofessional ... They have given me hell for the simple duty of reserving places for me and my wife in some restaurants ... They don't reply to their email and I had to file a complaint to force them to do their duty.
3- the service at the moroccan resturant is awful ... They leave the guests unattended for a long time .. They don't give care to the orders and actually provided our orders wrong after a long time ... All of this in addition to their grim faces and unprofessional attitude.

Finally, and despite the hotel amazing location and excellent infrastructure ... I don't recommend it to anyone if u really want to enjoy cairo.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ahmed-allam79
Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor, your feedback will be influential in improving guests’ experience.

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us. I am extremely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations for this stay, please accept my sincerest apologist.

After reading your review, we have conducted a thorough investigation of your reporting listed on the Hotel’s Duty Manager Log book that proved that this incident was a result of a misunderstanding for what concerns your requested table in our Moroccan Restaurant, which was unfortunately reserved.

It goes without saying that being in the hospitality industry, we expect and demand that our Ambassadors are at all times courteous and friendly and at no point can we condone such attitude.

Please rest assured that I will personally take care of this issue and use it as an example during counseling and training sessions.

Once again my most sincere apologies.

Sincerely Yours,

Antrim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was on the 12th floor of this iconic hotel and was blown away by the view to be had as the Nile seems to wrap itself around the building.It has a beautiful pool just a few feet away from the river and the pool attendants are extremely attentive to your every need.Their restaurant looks out over the river and in the evening you can dine and observe the many little boats with their multi coloured lanterns traversing perhaps the most famous river in the world.A "must have" experience in anyone's book.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mbeeAntrim
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment. The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team, as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cordially,