“Classical elegance & Excellent service”
Review of Conrad Cairo

Conrad Cairo
Ranked #11 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Wayne, New Jersey
“Classical elegance & Excellent service”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

It's my 3rd or 4th visit to Conrad Cairo and as always I feel very charmed with its overall classical style (room, corridor, furniture etc.). Personally I prefer old-fashioned, classical elegance to contemporary modern style so I frequent JW Marriott Mirage hotel in New Cairo (as marriott platinum member) and this Conrad on Nile River (as hilton gold member) which I find much more charming than Marriott Zamalek on the other side. The combination of dark brown heavy wooden furniture/framework, antique brass lamps, dark yellowish gold color in room makes me feel very cozy and warm. When I first enter the room, it always smells so good too. Things that I like: french press in room, super comfortable bed, large, soft pillows, large & spacious bath tub, big balcony, the way milk tea is served in exec. lounge, Financial Times in the lounge, amazing housekeeping and turndowns service, very friendly staffs in exec lounge, and substance & variety of breakfast. It's said the hotel is considering renovation work in near future, wish they could keep this classical & elegant air even after renovation.

Room Tip: rooms in exec. floor for lounge access
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jessie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Conrad Cairo hotel is one of Nile star hotel. You will feel luxury ever time you stay. Staff welcome you as family member. Big thanks to Aliah at executive lounge. Big thanks to Mustafa at executive lounge. Also Mustafa and Mahmoud at front office. Breakfast is outstanding. Executive lounge excellent all times. My family and I feel like this hotel is our second home.
Defiantly I will back again. I do recommend this hotel for all guests types.

Stayed August 2014
8 Thank Mohamed-Salem
Jean Pierre M, General Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice and warm comments you posted on Tripadvisor, the delight is ours for the chance you allowed us to serve you. We assure you that we will share your praise with all our team members who, for sure, will be very proud of their colleagues whom you mentioned in your review.
We so much look forward to welcoming you again at the Conrad.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here twice a week apart,
At first check in my airline double dip was showing as wrong airline so i asked to correct it,
And left in hand of check in agent.

After check out I noticed it still went to the wrong airline,
So I thought I'd get it corrected on my next stay,
However due to incompetence I've not lost another 7000hhonors points and it doesn't matter who you speak to at the hotel no one can resolve it and just keep telling me speak someone else who had gone home.

I was assured they would resolve it the next day after I checked out, however that time passed nothing resolved nor have I received the promised email.

The hotel did seen ok, however this ruined my stay, so much so i won't stay in a Conrad again.
The incompetence of colleagues and managers astound me, all very sympathetic but do nothing.

My best suggestion would be if you have a problem, don't ask them to resolve it you'll be worse off than when stated.

Rooms were ok, a bit below Conrad standard,
Swimming pool good.
Executive lounge ok, only hours limited 5.30 til 7 for school.
A little far out from the centre.

I'd recommend Hilton ramses down the road.
Right in the heart of it.

Room Tip: Ramses down the road the best tip
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank martin_monaghan
Jean Pierre M, General Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this review, June 21, 2015
Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor, and please excuse our delay in responding to your review. We are so sorry for any inconvenience caused or for not meeting your expectations. We will work on the remarks you mentioned regarding our hotel and employees to assure the best service standards that our guests well deserve. I would appreciate you visit us again for us to try to redeem your trust in our hotel. Please let us know of your next visit to Cairo, so we can provide you with special care and accommodation, and make sure we offer you a far better service than what you have experienced.
Thank you again and looking forward to meeting you personally.
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Dear Ladies and Sirs, During your business and all other trips to Cairo, you should prefer Hotel Conrad Cairo first to feel yourselves at home. Well educated, smiling, fast approaching staff, luxury with very competitive pricing, nice food, drinks, good location at the center of Cairo and the best hopsipatility... Briefly, Conrad Cairo is the best, forget the rest. Thanks and best regards,

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Necdet D
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 22, 2014

In 2000 I came to Cairo on business and can't remember if it was the Conrad or 4 Seasons (but it was a wow factor 5 star hotel on the Nile). The Nile position was just as I remembered, but the hotel is looking rather tired (as I hear a lot of Cairo hotels are these days) and I guess it's all about previous expectations….
You can still see the signs of grandeur in the hotel lobby and the position is good and it's fair to say it is very inexpensive price for a Conrad (or any 5 star hotel). That may be reflective of the times, but frankly it can't really get away with charging any more.
I travel a lot (and hope I am being objective and fair), but I have to say that the rooms are a bit jaded - well at least mine was - curtains have seen better days and the carpet was grimy - but nice clean bed linen and a very comfortable bed.
But to be completely honest the hotel just seemed a bit unkempt (and furnishings in general appear to be in need of dry cleaning/shampooing) and so overall more of a 4 star property.
The bathroom is perfectly fine, a nice big bath, and the bed was very good with big pillows - and those are key for a comfortable stay - but when you stack it up against HK Conrad or Tokyo Conrad (the last two places I stayed) the hotels are chalk and cheese.
Attendance on ground floor on arrival was prompt, professional and courteous, but checking in at the executive lounge level was an entirely different story and frankly I would have preferred to check in downstairs.
I was a bit tired (5am pickup for the flight from Dubai) so tetchy and short of patience, but it was anything BUT quick.
The room I had been allocated got changed (to a "better room"), but this entailed redoing and exchanging key cards and my passport was handed over three times (for photocopying I think) that didn't "work".
Then my credit card was put into the machine and half way through the cord pulled out and then plugged back in and stayed in the machine for 2 minutes being stared at. What I finally understood was that I had prepaid and so the staff member was trying to cancel the second payment mid transaction! "I don't think it went through" she said, "but if it does, you'll have to ask for a refund.."..
Maybe it was the expectation of this "better room" that was so disappointing (having sat through all that), but if I got a better room, I'm concerned about the others. It was an odd shape (pentagon) and it was right down the back of the hotel with a view of decaying buildings (and pool), whereas the original room was at least closer to the Nile.
When I expressed my disappointment I was shown another room EXACTLY the same (where is the logic) and guessed that was as good as it gets. Then about an hour or so later I was offered to be shown a "better room" (overlooking the Nile) "that looks like the picture of the Executive room on the website"!
I politely declined as it was too little too late.
We are Diamond status and Hilton recognises and appreciates this (the HH rewards are a great loyalty system) and in Tokyo Conrad we got the regular upgrade to the Executive lounge and the harbor view executive room, ditto HK Conrad - and RAK Waldorf Astoria even gave us a suite because it was a quiet time at the hotel.
In Cairo there was not even a personalized Welcome Letter, just the generic "Dear Guest" one that had one line "welcome to Conrad Cairo" and the rest about all the facilities that were closed.
There was evidently only a handful of guests staying so there is no excuse for this, it's just lazy and unprofessional.
Three restaurants and bars were closed for renovations...leaving the lobby and the pool as the only dining options, so it's times like these that a hotel needs to step up and do some service recovery for the "guest".
I sat in the Executive lounge for a few hours to do some work (at least this way I could look at the Nile) but the unattended Ex Lg desk phone rang and rang non stop - and unanswered- driving me around the bend. So much for peace and quiet.
My husband finally emailed me having been unable to get through to after endless unsuccessful calls to the hotel and his email said "where the hell are you staying in Cairo?" (even though he'd booked it) because there was no recognition of my name, his name or any name...(same surname!).
I wasn't even a guest according to Conrad Cairo and he was irate with frustration and concern.
On a positive note the room service was prompt and very delicious and they rang for feedback (good sign). Breakfast was a standout, really nice service and a great variety (sad as there was only 10 guests).
The pool (that remained unused) was huge and looked very clean.
I opted for a car pickup from the airport (because I was alone) and that was super professional and raised the expectations and I was literally whizzed through.
This is 75US but highly recommended, it's so slick, a speedy exit from the airport, help with visas, money exchange etc and it's worth the extra (and nice Merc, so you'll be comfortable). I also had a hotel driver take me to appointments and back to the airport, (Ishmail you were great) at a very reasonable day rate.
Overall the service is friendly, professional and nice (kudos to Reception, Room Service, Doorman and Bell desk), but the operation of the Executive floor needs to be looked at more closely and HH better recognised.
We will be returning to Cairo quite a lot over the next few months, but in spite of missing reward points at Hilton/Conrad, I'm thinking of checking out the Kempinski as that could be a better bet (and it was built in 2010, although I understand that renovations at CC are underway).

Room Tip: As for a room overlooking the Nile. There are 25 floors so I'm sure they have a room available...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank GlobalGal5
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The hotel is beautiful with a beautiful view of the Nile River. The staff are excellent and very professional. Rooms are comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is something to look forward to because of the array of choices.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank JC331Miami
Jean Pierre M, General Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice comment you posted on Tripadvisor, we will share your praise with our colleagues whom we are proud of. We so much look forward to serving you again and make your coming stay even more enjoyable.
Intercourse, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time in this hotel, the staff went above and beyond. We upgraded to the executive level and it was well worth the extra money, for the executive lounge alone. Great location, great views, comfortable rooms. I will stay here next time I visit Egypt!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ryskalchick
Thank you indeed for your excellent comment and for your time posting it on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and had a nice time at our Executive Lounge.
We are looking forward for your coming stay as you promised.