“Beautiful Hotel.”
Review of Conrad Cairo

Conrad Cairo
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Conrad Cairo is a beautiful hotel. Located on the River Nile within easy driving distance of many, many restaurants. BUT, don't even think about driving on your own. Traffic is crazy and the driving rules of the road are, shall I say, unique. Take taxi's everywhere and allow extra time for traffic. Hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. The buffet breakfast is delicious with lots of choices. Lots. Third floor outdoor bar is nice and a perfect place for a late night drink and Sheesha.

Room Tip: Definetly get a river view room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you very much for the nice comments you posted on Tripadvisor, we are very delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

For our holiday in Cairo we had a hard time choosing a hotel. There are many chain type hotels and also, Cairo is one of the bigger cities in Africa. After comparison with both the Sofitel and Intercontinental hotel we decided to book the Conrad for our six night stay in Cairo.

A few weeks prior to our stay we emailed the hotel to confirm an extra bed in the room. Mr. Refaat who is the Front Office Manager replied on all my question in a friendly and helpful way. He even offered to arrange the Airport transfer + meet and greet service and also gave us the email of the concierge for daily planning. We already had a good feeling even before we were in the country.

I so received an email from the helpful concierge, Mr. Aziz who sent me an overview of possible private tours in Cairo.

Upon arrival at the airport arrival hall a friendly staff member was waiting for us with a sign with our names. He escorted us to the local bank office where we could purchase a visa and brought us through immigration and customs. After that he called the driver who later arrived in front of the terminal. They both put our luggage in the Mercedes car and he waived us goodbye. The driver was also very friendly though he did not say a word. Probably he did not speak English but eventually after a quick drive of 30 minutes we arrived at the Conrad at about 3AM. There was almost no traffic this hour but keep in mind that during the day this drive can take over 90 minutes.

Upon arrival at the hotel some bellboys immediately took our luggage and escorted us to the reception desk. Before entering the hotel we had to pass a metal detector and our luggage was checked. This gave a good feeling of security in the lobby area. At reception the night manager welcomed us in the hotel and helped with check in. Unfortunately I could not remember his name and he ran out of cards but he was one of the most friendly staff members on arrival and extremely helpful. The night manager escorted us to our room on the 8th floor. As Diamond member our room was upgraded to an Executive room and also had access to the Executive Lounge located on one of the upper floors. The room was on the left outer side of the hotel facing the Nile and the Cornish road. Our Executive suite was extremely spacious and consists of a normal Deluxe room and a suite area. The room itself had a roomy bathroom with separate shower and bath on the left side and opposite a big closet and safe. The bedroom had two comfy Queen beds, a desk, a very old Tv which we never used as it gave me headache and finally a smaller terrace overlooking the Nile river.

The suite side room was separated by two doors which can be closed. From the bedroom you enter the living room which had some comfortable chairs and sofas, a small dining table and a new LCD TV. Further in the room was a separate entrance, a second toilet with sink, a bigger terrace and even a fully equipped kitchen. We did not use the kitchenette but everything should work but was not the most high tech equipment.

The room was filled with beautiful fresh flowers, bottles of water and a welcome plate of fruit and chocolate. The night manager and the bellboys helped us with some practicalities in the room and even explained us where the nearest emergency exits were. It was actually the first time ever someone told me this in a hotel … which I of course encourage ! I asked the night manager if they offered a special menu at Christmas night and ten minutes later he brought me a brochure explaining every restaurant and its special menu.

We had a short but good sleep the first night. The air conditioning worked perfectly although there is a lot of noise disturbance from the traffic on Cornish road. Drivers in Cairo use their claxon a lot and from the 8th floor this is clearly noticeable. We also figured out that the sliding door in the living room did not close properly so that too brought extra noise into the room.

Next morning we received a newspaper and around 09:00 housekeeping knocked our room for cleaning the room. I asked him to return later as the third person was still tired of the night flight. We could notice his English was not perfect but we really felt he did understand us. Once arrived at the Solana restaurant for breakfast the restaurant manager welcomed us and asked for our room number which was 800. He immediately told us he had made a reservation for three for one of the best tables in the almost empty restaurant. We told him the third person was still in the room so that a table for two would be fine. He escorted us to a table and our waiter brought some freshly squeezed orange juice and ordered drinks. Some minutes later the Executive housekeeper, Mr. Abas came to our table and asked if everything with the third person was all right. He was concerned the third person was sick but luckily everything was fine with her.

The Solana restaurant is beautifully renovated along with all other restaurants and bars and the lobby too. The breakfast buffet is very extensive and has a very wide selection of local and international food. The thing I maybe missed is smoked salmon at breakfast. Most five star hotels do offer it at breakfast but unfortunately not here, maybe I am a little bit too demanding. Service was excellent and the quality and variety was outstanding.

We returned to our room and departed later on to the concierge for some tour enquiries and booking. We had to wait for about ten minutes because he was on the phone and the assistant was not able to help us with the tours. We booked three full day tours which will take at least 6 – 8 hours per day. We opted for : full day Islamic Cairo, full day Memphis & Sakkara and lastly full day Pyramids, Bazar and Egyptian museum. Each of them costs us 80 USD per person per day. It includes entrance, transportation and a separate guide but does not include extras like tips and special entrances. The concierge told us he would charge it to our room account and needed the same signature than the one used on check in form.

We later took a local taxi to the City Stars shopping mall which took us over one hour but was not expensive at all. The bell captain who was dressed in blue told us the correct price and helped us with a taxi.

After our shopping day we were back in the hotel and went to our room. In our room were a lot of staff members, 4 housekeepers, a painter and some supervisors. They were all needed to clean and check our room, no we did not make a mess at all but they just wanted to be sure everything was how it should be.

In the meantime we went to the executive lounge for a drink. There is no self service bar and everything is on demand. You have to order each drink but snacks can be taken from the buffet area. The lounge was not yet renovated but had a big terrace and panoramic views of Cairo and the Nile. Staff were extremely friendly but the Wifi signal was very weak in the lounge. Another thing that bothered me is that people also smoke in the lounge and the area is not exactly separated from the non smoking area. In the afternoon from 5PM till 7PM there are some high quality hot and cold snacks on the buffet, also wine was available free of charge.

Next morning no newspaper and no housekeeper so we proceeded directly to breakfast. Also there no reservation anymore and also no orange juice for us. It looked like the first day we were treated so much better. Although this the buffet was again good but I had to ask the chef to bring more toasts and brown bread as they were not refilled. Ten minutes later I got a plate full of fresh toasts, what a service !

After breakfast we headed to our first tour. Our guide was Ms. Sherin and was also our guide for the next two days. The first day supposed to be a full day of Islamic Cairo but after three hours at noon we were already back at the hotel ... We were not so happy about this as we paid for a full day and skipped a museum on the program.

In the evening we had diner in the beautiful Oak Grill restaurant which had no guests at all at 8PM. We were actually the only guests that night so could chose a table. The staff members were extremely friendly and helpful and also very knowledgeable about their menu. We ordered some steaks and found them delicious. They all were from good size and more important from the best quality and well prepared/seared. We even had the choice of colors for our steakknife. Prices although are a little expensive for Egypt but very normal for a five star hotel.

Next morning again no newspaper and after a good breakfast we went back for the second tour which did take 7 hours and was very good. Our guide was also very knowledgeable and her English was perfect. Although she took us to some very touristic and rip off stores, she did not push too much to buy something.

It was Christmas Eve and went to hotel prepared a delicious big buffet in Solana restaurant and an extensive Christmas menu in Oak grill with a glass of wine for free. Santa Clause came by and gave us some cookies. That afternoon we also received some new delicious cookies and fresh fruits but the flowers were removed and they were not restocked. So we were again the only guests in the Oak Grill and unfortunately the Solana restaurant was not popular too. It is such a shame as the hotels chefs made such an effort for it . Luckily the food was again excellent and staff was extremely hospitable.

Last day no newspaper and at breakfast nobody even asked room number nor escorted us to any table. It was a little bit busier than normal so some product were not filled by so we had to ask for it again and again. Unfortunately we could see the service declining towards the end of our stay. In the beginning everything was excellent but towards the end staff got a bit forgetful.

After our last tour which took 7 hours we went to the concierge with the brochure because we paid 80 USD pp for a full day tour on the first day. It was another concierge than we booked them with but he understood our question and tried to find a solution. Unfortunately after a whopping 40 minute argument between the concierge, me and the tour company there was no solution. Furthermore that charged us 4% extra as we paid it by our room account. According to the concierge of the first day who we booked the tours with he told us he would add 4% but this was not at all true. It was 30 USD so not just some cents. Also I wanted the money back from our full day tour, not the total fare but I just wanted to pay the half day fare as it was just a half day tour. A half day was only 55 USD so after again 15 minutes of argue no single concession. We so asked for the General Manager but apparently there is none as the previous one left for Saudi Arabia. We so asked to call Mr. Refaat, the extremely helpful Front Office Manager for help. Immediately when he came the problem was solved ! Well not completely solved but he waived the 4% and gave us a partial refund of the first day tour. Luckily the hotel can count on Mr. Refaat as the concierge was not able to satisfy us.

We took a taxi to the Coptic quarter but unfortunately the bell captain was absent so we asked Mr. Hamdy to arrange a local taxi. He was a bell boy but suggested with pressure to take a hotel limousine ( just a white taxi with newer cars ) for 3 times the price for a normal one. He was unfriendly and did not want to help us with asking the price for the local taxis who are just at the end of the driveway of the hotel. He just left us there and continued to talk with the armed undercover security person. What a disappointment !!

It was our last night and we tried to fall asleep early as we had to wake up around 1AM. Unfortunately there was so much music in the hotel we hardly felt asleep. Apparently there was a kind of disco in the hotel and the basses were feelable in our room. This was a bigger disturbance than traffic.

Overall a great hotel with beautiful renovation of the public areas. Unfortunately the rooms are due to be renovated at the end of this year and also there is noticeably much noise from the street till after midnight so choose a high floor. Internet is not free I believe but Gold and Diamond members get it free of charge. Location next to the Nile but nothing walkable from the hotel. You will need a taxi for every restaurant or shopping mall visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with Nile view are worth the extra but do not forget to chose a high floor as there can eb a l...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Max W
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent stay in Cairo. I am in receipt of your comments and thank you very much for the time you have taken to give us your feedback.
Please rest assured that your comments about the hotel services have been noted and will be discussed with all concerned to address these issues and ensure they are in a better way.
It is with guests' feedback such as yours that we are able to monitor and continuously improve our product and services. Meanwhile, we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we will share your praise with our colleagues and sure this will make them very happy and proud. Hope to see you again and have the pleasure of serving you and maybe the next time will be after the full hotel renovation and I am sure you will like the new designs. Until then, please accept our sincere regards.
Thanks

Reviewed January 8, 2013

It was one of the best vacations for me & my wife we had a nice stay enjoyed the delicious breakfast with the Nile view , the pool & the spa all was great. The view from the room was wonderful also the service the staff there are so friendly & very helpful + relatively to the rates it was a very good deal i m really looking fwd to go there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for the great comments you posted on Tripadvisor, we will share your praise with our colleagues and sure this will make them more than happy. We are proud of our colleagues at the Conrad Cairo; they sure present all possible efforts to satisfy our guests and that what makes the difference. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

All the points in this review are supported with evidence. I know hotel reps reply to the threads, but most of their claims are without any proof or evidence. I can provide solid evidence to back my claims.

Ripoff Number 1:

Stayed in Hotel on 2nd-3rd Jan 2013. Had booked online through hotels.com in Aug 2012 for room with Nile View and Breakfast Buffet Included. Checked in on 2nd Jan and was assigned room with almost no view of nile (i could see the water of nile, if i leaned from my balcony or the terrace), i complained to front desk and they mentioned that this is what i get for Nile View King Bed and that most rooms with full front nile view are Suites. I was fairly disappointed because in pictures on the website for Nile View King Bed , nice pictures of view of nile river are shown. This was rip off number one from hotel. Not delivering to promise of Nile View.

Security Check posts are SHAM:
As somebody else mentioned regarding security check at entrance, there is a check post for vehicles and for baggage. But the vehicle , checkpost is a sham, the person inspected car for less than a minutes with no instruments. Also, there was nobody at bag checking counter to look at the bad scanner screen. I dont understand the point of these security check post , if they are not enforced.

The hotel room in iteself was nice and clean. The shower was little dirty with rust gathered around its faucet.

Ripoff No 2:

The hotel was charging EGP 125(USD 20) for internet access for 24 hours.This is ridiculous, i pay $29 in USA for one month access to high speed internet. Also, when i pay more than $200 for room, i expect to get free internet. On top of that , the internet speeds were very slow (<1mbps). It was a complete rip off.

Ripoff No 3:
As, i mentioned breakfast was included in my stay , when i booked the room. I went to Solona restaurant and ate breakfast. The lady at counter checked my name and room number in list, i thought this was sign that i was accounted for and wouldn't have to pay. After i had my breakfast i was handed bill for around 600 EGP. I was stunned, i mentioned that Buffet breakfast was included in my stay, they lady mentioned that she spoke with reception counter, but they said it was not included. I was furious and left my breakfast in middle to talk with reception. Ms. Donia at reception there was very rude, and was continuously showing me attitude and treating me like person who is looking to cheat them and eat for free. I showed her my booking i had done with Hotels.com on my laptop and she insisted that i get hard copy of this printed from Business Center and hand to her. The business center charged me EGP 20 for one copy which was again a rip off. I gave the copy to her and she asked me to wait. After wasting my one hour , they confirmed that my breakfast was included in room stay. Thanks for wasting my time Conrad Cairo. This speaks a lot about your hotel and management. On top of that nobody apologized for the inconvenience.

Overall, worst Hilton hotel i have stayed at, the hotel facility in itself is nice, but poor management and rude staff are spoiling all the fun.

Room Tip: Call in advance if you want a room with Nile View. You might have to book Suite if you want full fro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank nmutyal
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for selecting the Conrad for your recent stay in Cairo.
I have received your comments about your experience and would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Please rest assured that your comments about the hotel have been noted and discussed with all concerned to address these issues and ensure they are in a better way.
It is with guests' feedback such as yours that we are able to monitor and continuously improve our product and services. On behalf of all of us at the Conrad Cairo, we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice location, good restaurants, quick check in, clean rooms, and good security.
Staff also were friendly and helpful, especially the concierge.
The only disadvantage, the AC make some noise.
This was the 2nd time I stay in this hotel, but i didnt face this problem in the 1st visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed to stay in this hotel.
The food is delicious as in the room service as at the restaurant.At coffee-bakery place in the lobby sweets were very fresh on first day we tasted,on next day all sweets had taste like they are a rest from dinner yesterday.
I have got a Thai massage.It was good,made by kind Thai lady.
The staff all speaking english fluent,we didn't have problems in communication.And each member of the hotel crew behaved as very well educated.
Actually our room wasn't that much clean,but because of the general positive picture of the hotel,we didn't see not well cleaned carpets.
The only what we didn't like at all is smoke in the room on the non smoking floor.
Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor, and we will work on the remarks you mentioned to assure the best service standards that our guests well deserve. We hope to see you again in the future and have the pleasure of serving you.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Excellent service and excellent staff'specially the concierge team. Mr. Ahmed Ezzat who made an excellent service and has a very nice attitude. My name is mr. Badr Alqassim stayed from 02/02 to 03/01/2013. Thank you hotel managment.

Room Tip: Excellent hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Ayman A, Manager at Conrad Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013