“good hotel for with good budget”

Om Kolthoom Hotel & Tower
Ranked #69 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed there several times.really good and clean hotel with an amazing view of river Nile.
breakfast is accepted.rooms are clean and the management is friendly.
the location is +++
yes i enjoed staying there and i recommend it to everybody

Room Tip: try to be in the highest floors
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank ahmed S
There are newer reviews for Om Kolthoom Hotel & Tower

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel stays on very good location at the main road on Island Zamalek, . Its very clean part of Cairo and everything is very near. In front of hotel are 3 cafes. In hotel is very friendly and helpfull stuff. Rooms are big and I had beautiful view on Nile and main road. Just pillows are bad. Room was clean, just bathroom should be cleaner.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Pokica1
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Different people have different expectations. What we wanted was a clean room with its own bathroom and a breakfast- we came to Cairo to see the city and its sights, not to spend a lot of time in a hotel. In the end, this hotel prooved not to be a bad decision.
The hotel was nice in its peak years, and some of that charm can still be seen. It could use some renovation, but overall it was pleasant.
Room was cleaned every day, breakfast wasn't very rich, but if you're not a very picky person, you can have enough.
The staff was friendly, except one girl who didn't speak English well- but we managed to understand each other.
We didn't have problems with paying, because we booked and paid the room via octopustravel.com (double room cca.60$ per night)- this seems to be cheaper and safer than paying on the spot upon arrival.
The biggest pro is its location. The neighbourhood is quite safe (there are a lot of foreign embassies in this part of the town), with a lot of coffee houses and restaurants nearby, as well as the ATMs and all kind of shops. From this location it is easy to reach downtown Cairo, islamic Cairo, as well as Giza an other sights.
Taking all in concider, if all that you need is a clean sleepover place Om Kolthoom is a good choice, but if you have bigger needs and expectations go somewhere else!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Martina_zg
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Sadly I have to agree with several of the other reviews - the entrance to this hotel gives the impression of 4* hotel but the room had seen better days, it smelled of stale tobacco, the bathroom had seen far better days (all the pipes leaked so the floor flooded, the bath was black from years of scrubbing it, the bin was dirty, the shampoo sachet was already used...). The management were extremely rude - trying to tell me that their visa machine didn't work and trying to send me to get cash from an ATM - it was 10.30pm and I had just arrived from a 12hr train journey from Luxor so I refused, saying I would pay in the morning. They made me give whatever cash I had as a deposit and told me I could pay with a card the following morning and have my cash back. They did not honour this agreement. For reference I paid $80 for one night for a single room.

The breakfast was not that great, but there was a super friendly omelette chef who also made me some special fuul. He was lovely. Also the charming bell man carried my bags down the road to another hotel that I decided to stay at because this one was such bad service. He was also lovely and could see that I was unhappy (to say the least). And the person who brought me some room service was also warm and friendly. It is only the management who don't seem to care about their guests.

The Flamenco round the corner is much better value, infinitely cleaner with brand new bathrooms, although the management are not especially polite there either and increased the price I had agreed over the phone. This seems to be a feature of hotels in Egypt sadly.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, ask for a room at the back. If you choose one with a Nile view, you will hear c...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank GertrudeBell09
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked to stay there by booking.com. When we arrived the receptionist gave us an exchange rate that almost doubled the price we booked for the room. We left the hotel without staying there..Avoid it!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank athpiraeus
Reviewed February 12, 2011

They did not tell us the emergency calls from Japan several times, even in the revolution period.
The receptionists insisted that they had no small changes.
The breakfast was so expensive and very poor.
They used mold smelling tap water for powder juice.
The room service was always absent.
So, my conclusion, this hotel was very Ancient Regime Arab hotel.
If you would like to have the 20 century post-colonial period unreasonable experience,
try to stay there!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank SalamUnagami
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Very old hotel but OK location, room spacious, friendly staff except the manager,air-conditioning in my room did not work, i ask to change my room but the hotel manager instead of that offered me a fan, and it is supposed to be a four star hotel, i will rate this place as only two-star hotel, I will not recommended this hotel for any one.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business