“Real Cairo hotel”

Windsor Hotel Cairo
Ranked #22 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I stayed here in July for four nights at the beginning and end of our trip to Egypt - travelling with my 20 year old daughter and 17 year old son. We had two rooms and definitely did not have renovated rooms but we really liked the hotel. The rooms were clean. The location was great, the bar/ restaurant was fabulous. Excellent bar staff and waitresses.

Most of the staff were wonderful but the reason I am inspired to write this review is because of an earlier review of the "night receptionist". Mohammed was the only jarring note of our stay. The other two desk stafff were great, answered questions, offered help. Mohammed was obnoxious. As the earlier comment stated, he was all about his "palm being greased". For example, the other staff would order a taxi and have you pay the taxi Mohammmed insisted you pay him an inflated price (how much do you want to pay to go to the pyramids?) and he took the money and passed on, I'm sure, a small fraction of his "price" We paid Mohammed his "take" and then paid the taxi drivers again as we felt he was scamming the drivers. A jarring note to an otherwise good hotel.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 10, 2009

The former British officers' club, very near the metro and about 20 minutes walk from the city centre. Rooms vary greatly in size, some have showers and/or toilets, others not, make it clear what you are booking. Its clean, comfortable, has unfailingly helpful staff and will do airport pick-ups.
The lift comes with an attendant and must have been there since the hotel was built, and the bar has a great faded elegance but also wifi. Menu is good but short and was ample for my vegan partner. The place could do with some minor repairs and tidying but nothing more than that.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Just spent five nights in this old fashioned hotel in downtown Cairo. It's a converted British Officer's club and still has that atmosphere. Woody, warm, slightly eccentric, delightfully individual. Staff are friendly and chatty, there's a ready supply of delightful Egyptian Mezzes to order including lovely babaganoush, or have a decent meal there. My room (6, since you asked) was spacious and clean. If you want sewing kits, individual body lotion, little chocolates on the pillow and your toilet paper turned down at night, forget it. Wi Fi works well.

If you want a place where there are warm people, friendly travellers, staff that can find you more or less anything in the city and then walk you there, this is for you. Good position for the Egyptian Museum and the market. The Doss brothers (Doss Bros?) run it. Nice Guys.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Nickfromtestbed
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Mr Samir arranged for an excellent guide (Peter) and hotel in Luxor while we stayed at the Windsor in Cairo. Prior to our return to Cairo from Luxor there was a deadly train wreck that threw all schedules off. Mr Samir and our guide constantly maintained contact and insured that we were able to make connections back to Cairo where we once again stayed at the Windsor. The small hotel (the former British Officers Club) has tons of charm, a bit run down, and is inexpensive, but the main selling point is the incredible staff and their willingness to go the extra mile for their guests.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank GrandCanyonPaddy
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I was very surprised by the reviews for this place. I found it to be a complete dump. I could barely take a shower I was so disgusted with the bathroom. I wouldn't walk on the floor barefoot and I refused to undress for bed because I was completely grossed out by everything about this place. I have stayed in local hotels in other 3rd world countries but never one this bad. This is not a hotel for western travelers used to clean accommodations. I wouldn't even consider it adequate for a traveler on a strict budget.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WorldGoddess
wafs, owner at Windsor Hotel Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2009

Unfortunately it's almost two years ago that you stayed with us, it would have been our sheer pleasure to tend to you complaints right then and there. In the meantime, we have totally gutted bathrooms, restored the guestrooms' floors to their original beautiful hardwood, and refreshened the antiques of over 40% of our rooms. It is no easy endeavour to do work on a more than 110 year old building.. .but our quest is to have the amenities and comfort match the innate charm of our property.

Reviewed October 30, 2009

Let me begin by saying that I've always utilized tripadvisor as my primary resource in selecting hotels for trips and until now, I've never been disappointed. I stayed at the Windsor for two 3-day stints in October and expected to find a charming boutique hotel with a colonial-era atmosphere. I was sorely mistaken. This hotel is in a decrepit state in dire need of renovation. The rooms were filthy. The towels and pillows were stained badly. The hot water was very temperamental. The sink wouldnt drain properly. The concept of service is virtually non-existent at the Windsor. The staff in the lobby (not the dining room staff) was very lethargic except when it came to sticking their hands out for a tip (this includes the manager, Mohammed's persistent attempts to have his palm greased). The hotel was supposed to send a taxi to the airport twice to pick me up and both occasions, no one bothered to show up. I spoke to fellow tourists at the hotel and many shared the same experience.
When I checked in for my second stint, I had reserved an A/C room with shower and toilet. The manager tried to pawn off a non-A/C room to me and then a room without toilet, remarking that the hotel was overbooked. It was only after I expressed my outrage that I was given the type of room that I had originally booked. While I waited for my room, one of the managers suggested I have breakfast upstairs. When I sat down to have 'breakfast' (which consisted of tea and two meager slices of bread and jam), I was told by the wait staff that I could only have breakfast from the following day. The whole episode was just frustrating and insulting. I'm generally a very low-maintenance traveler and my expectations are not much for a budget hotel, but Windsor certainly isnt worth the $47/night. When you're staying in a very stressful city, you look to your hotel as sort of a sanctuary or oasis. Windsor just exacerbated the stress.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank 22kt
wafs, owner at Windsor Hotel Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Our valued guest, we so regret that you had an unpleasant stay with us.
We wish you had brought your complaints to our attention right then and there, so we could have promptly taken care of them.
Some seem to be misconceptions; Mohammad is not The Manager, he's the night shift receptionist... so possibly there were other cultural misunderstandings.
Having said that, as the owner, I'm making no excuses and your review was shown to all departments involved.
Both from previous reviews and from your very own recent US publications as The NY Times, The Los Angeles Times, Conde Nast, & others all have chosen to highlight our hotel (we found out about the recommendation from guests who followed their advice), that is not to say that there is no room for improvement, we are a historical landmark of more than 100 years old with 12ft high ceilings (approx. 4meters), that oozes charm, but also requires continuos restoration. Obviously, you did not stay in one of the more than 20 recently restored guestrooms.
We take pride in our legacy of service, and we do not claim to be a 5 star deluxe, but we make every attempt to make sure that our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay. We regret that we were part of a "stressful" trip to Egypt.

Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed at this Hotel for one night. The location is very good as it is in the downtown Cairo and very close to a lot of places and the metro station. the room was clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple