WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #23 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Saitama, Japan
“A bit disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here in 2009 for a couple of nights and we were a bit shocked when we arrived. The hotel is in a rather unsafe area of Caro and our room was old, like rooms in the 1950s. I like old style if it's clean, however our room wasn't. The reception staff was just OK. The only positive thing in this hotel is the bar, where we had some beers and coffees and we liked the atmosphere of it. Would I stay here again? Not sure about it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
Moers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Don't be afraid to have a look at all places like Midan Tahrir. But make sure to have a place where you find native people for exchange of experiences. WINDSOR HOTEL is situated in the center of past and actual events you are looking for if you travel to cities like Cairo.
The Doss family owns the Windsor. Wafik and Wasfi Doss are competent partners to introduce you into the city of Cairo and Egypt as a historical and social focal point. Ask them! And meet a various number of interesting guests in the barrel bar. The atmosphere of this Hotel is based on deep philanthropic and religious convictions that lead to the habitual question: "What can I do for you?" Come and test this Hotel - and because of its central position in Cairo I add: don't forget your earplugs in order to find sleep during the night!

Room Tip: Ask the receptionist
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel was built circa 1892, staying at the Windsor hotel is an experience of the real colonial past, if your looking for new plush surroundings this wont be for you. Not sure when the last make over was but I think they shouldn't change a thing its the real "macoy", I loved the old telephone system which must date back to the 1930's and is still in use, amazing. The old attendant lift was straight from a Ealing movie (old British films of the1920's ) the barrel bar was typical of a traditional colonial establishment, the only thing I didn't like was the smoking allowed.

This hotel wont be for every one as its doesn't have many modern comforts, but I loved it.

I would stay again if I visit Cairo, which will never happen...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Windsor Hotel is truly run by a caring staff. Everyone at the front desk wants to make sure you have a good stay in Cairo. The restaurant/lounge bar has a "cool" vibe about it in this very old hotel. Plus the food was delicious (lots of vegetarian options) & the bar makes a great mojito. My only problem was the bed; it will probably take a few more days for my back to recover. If this is the price range you are looking for in downtown area, then you'd probably enjoy the Windsor. For me, I found I need my creature comforts in Cairo, so would prefer Zamalek & pay the price again for the Hilton.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was a good experience for me to spend my trip to down town in cairo with the crew of Windsor Cairo , it is like an antique coming from the history of the city and the service was excellent .
When am coming to cairo , am always find my wnderful location in Windsor hotel , it is near of all places i like to walk and see in down town , i find also the peacful time to read and write my works .
During nights going to the bar area and enjoing my time with the old furniture and the warm atmosphere .

Room Tip: My room is 14 it is quite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Windsor for 4 days in March of 2013 at a time of supposed unrest in Egypt. I must say that my stay at this historic jewel will define my trip to Egypt as an exotic experience. I could feel the history of the place as I walked its old halls knowing it had once been used by the British officers in war time and countless tourists visiting the greatest sites of antiquity.
Only toward the end of my stay did I realize that the entire staff had been employed at the hotel since just before the beginning of time! One Gentleman started at the hotel when he was 13 and was there 20 years later. The service was stellar - there was no hint that the Windsor was not five star. The water was hot, the linens clean, the breakfast was delicious. Philip at the front desk booked me a great cruise. Samir did a great job as well. You would be shorting yourself not to stay at this hotel. It is old elegant Cairo to the core. I will never forget it.

Room Tip: I upgraded my room the second stay there and it was worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Redruth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

unfortunately only had one night there ,but if in Cairo again will definitely stay there . the location is just around the corner from the metro , a vibrant area excellent for shopping ,helpful staff , a definate olde world charm with lots of wood . we had a room 4 floors up with balcony , TV was oldie worldy as well so did not work very well . The en-suit bathroom had been renovated and everything worked and sparkled , 9 out of ten for the shower . The bar was very friendly and did not spend enough time there ... i will be back :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple