“A decent place to stay”

Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed July 12, 2008

The Sonesta has a lot to offer. They are about 10 minutes away from the airport on a low traffic day (which is hard to come by). While we had a hiccup from our online reservation. We booked the Royal Club floor with a Jacuzzi and when we got to the hotel they had us in a regular room. When I produced our reservations they relalized a mistake was made and corrected everything that we were offered except the Jacuzzi room. Please make sure you know what your getting and follow up with a phone call to make sure your getting what you paid for.

The hotel had several restaurants except one was missing, it was in the book and on the tv info channel about the hotel, apparently it had been gone for 4 years. This is how the entire 4 days was, we felt that we had to double check everything as nothing seemed to be as appeared.

The hotel had a small but nice casino, the food was excellent as was the wine. The staff was pretty good. We had a huge issue with a driver and complained to the transportation, recreation manager and not only did he give us a huge part of our money back they reprimanded the driver.

Our room cleaner was excellent. I had left our safe open with valuables in it and he had the management rekey it so no one could get into the room, he was great, anything we needed he provided. The room was plain but very spacious. Not a hotel to stay in if you want a really nice view. Good prices for the stay.

decent place decent price.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 11, 2008

I should have taken more notice of the other reviews - particularly the one advising against a room on the pool side due to the very loud live music played there until 1am in the morning. When you are tired it really is a pain. So, if you don't mind late nights then no problem, if you don't fancy the noise, then ask for a room on the other side. The one other disapointing thing was that the rooms shown on the web site of the hotel are the executive rooms. The standard rooms are not bad by any means but they should make this clear.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food on offer was also quite good. It is in a good location for reaching the main tourist areas and the airport (which can take 10 minutes to an hour depending on traffic). Note that taxis to the main tourist areas are from £2-£3 so no need to be right in the thick of things and pay a lot more.

I would return again - but not in a room on the pool side!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My Sonesta stay was short and sweet. I had a very long trip ahead and wanted to get some rest before boarding the plane. Asked for a quiet room, and that's exactly what I got. The bed was a little squishy (I prefer firm), but it didn't make my back sore.

At one meal at the Greenhouse and it was quite good. It was a buffet and had plenty of choices.

This seemed an older hotel, but my room was clean and fresh upon arrival. The lobby s beautiful and there are two gift shops and a casino.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Conveniently located in the posh and safe neighbourhood of Heliopolis in Cairo, Sonesta Hotel and Casino was a good option for our brief stay in Cairo. The hotel is just 20 minutes from the airport, 30 minutes to the Egyptian museum and other sights downtown and 45 minutes to the Pyramids of Giza.

In addition to the location, the hotel had very efficient housekeeping and hotel staff who were hospitable and prompt in tending to our requests.

The best part of the hotel in my opinion, was my large room with an entire wall of windows that overlooked the pool. On the downside, the air conditioner in my room did not cool effectively which made it uncomfortable given the heat of the summer. Further, the loud late night poolside entertainment wafted up to our rooms and kept a few in our group awake later then they liked.

I was also disappointed by the size of the pool but in contrast, my colleague was happy with the health club due to its impressive number of relatively new machines. The health club is also equipped with a jaccuzzi and sauna and offers free private trainers for the hotel guests.

The hotel has several restaurants including Italian, Lebanese and Asian dining options though I did not try out any of these. I was quite pleased with the scrumptious breakfast spread that included an egg station in the main restaurant. I also enjoyed a delicious cappuccino and cookies from their Fauchon cafe that imports all its products (including the little meringues) from the original one in Paris. We also had an enjoyable seated dinner by the poolside one evening and appreciated the loud band better than from our rooms (apparently they also have a belly dancer who comes on later in the evening). That, along with the casino and separate discotheque means the hotel guests don't necessarily have to leave the premises to be entertained in the evenings.

In conclusion I would recommend Sonesta Hotel and Casino if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a central location. However I wouldn't consider it the luxury 5 star hotel as its website boasts but more of a 4 star hotel as Expedia rightly rates it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank mmenon
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Airconditioning in the room sounded like a passing drumband. The rooms are very noisy especially the ones at the swimming pool-side. This is where a mediocrate band is playing its music till one in the morning at 100 dB. If they keep on claiming they have the best Italian restaurant in Cairo I advise you not to go to number 2, this is already awful enough. If you have a choice. go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Sonesta Hotel and Casino for two nights. This was booked by our travel tour company Noga Tours as part of a week stay in Egypt.
First I want to say that we felt very safe in Egypt, Whatever part we went to, there were police everywhere. All public establishments and touring areas had metal detectors, x-ray machines and a high-high presence of the police.
Our hotel room was very nice and clean. The reception area assisted us with any questions we may have had about the hotel and surrounding area. We went the week of Feb 16-23. The weather had dropped down to the mids 40's. Of course we are in Egypt. Everyone has air conditioner, but usually no heating. So we did not have any problems with them sending us up a portable heater. The room service was great! We ate late off the dinning menu for a great price. A very filling meal for only $10 for the both of us. We used the laundry service and got our garments back the same day with no problem.
We did partake in the breakfast bar one morning, But the food was not really good,. They had chicken and veal sausages that looked undercooked, beans, potatoes, some kind of liquid soup , burnt/overcooked pancakes, an omlete station, breads, fruits, cheese and cold cut meats, cereal and juices. The breakfast was buffet, but it was TOO open. There was too many people coughing and sneezing and touching the food with their hands to "trust" it. Despite the fact that the hotel furnished utensils to pick the items up with, alot of people used their hands...(hands they had just covered their mouth to cough with or sneeze into...if they covered their mouth at all)
Somewhat in their defense, the air quality in Cairo is very very bad. As soon as we started our tour around 9am...I wasn't in the environment 10 minutes and picked up an cough. I later got a nasal drip. When you breath, you inhale the exhaust from cars, fumes, sewage, other bad agents in the air, from about 9am til noonish, the city had a thick smog over it. By the end of the night I was coughing quite badly. If I blew my nose you see the dirt dust and refuge that I had been inhaling all day..YUCK!!!
But back to the hotel. It was great! I would recommend this to anyone. They did have a pool, but it was so cold we never went to see it on the roof. Because our days were packed with tours, we did not adventure into the Casino. They also have a cafe shop and a dessert shop that was very packed day and night. There was like 5 different eateries and 2 different bars. Maybe 20 minutes drive from the airport in traffic. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAFRAGIA
Reviewed February 8, 2008

We arrived 7 PM from Dubai. Took over 30 minutes in traffic from airport. Had to be up 3 AM for flight to Abu Simbel. Hotel served its purpose for us. A/C a bit noisey, but overall okay and would stay here again under these circumstances. They had breakfast box ready when we checked out. However, I would certainly not chose this hotel for a visit to Cairo/Giza. It can take as long as 2 - 3 hours to reach Giza in traffic. Without traffic trip might be 30 minutes, but seems there's always traffic.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family