“Faulty Towers in Cairo, worst ever experience !!!”

Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo
Ranked #35 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

An hotel from Hell, prepare for the worst when you stay at this hotel as the staff is capable of stooping down to any level to intimidate and humiliate their guests for any of the rather petty reasons.

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife and a 2 years old son and would rate this stay as my worst experience ever. Due to an over night flight lay over from Saudi Arabia to London, we stayed in the hotel on behalf of Egypt Air. The check in staff hardly bothered to answer any of my questions regarding the breakfast but it was not too bad.

The real saga starts in the room where we find not even a bottle of water. By this time, it was already past midnight and we had to catch the hotel shuttle for airport at 6 am next morning. When the room service was contacted for a bottle of water, they informed me it would cost 22 Egyptian pounds, about 2.5 British pounds! fair enough, ordered for it and the hell broke loose!

A member of the staff turns up at the door with bottle of water demanding adamantly cash payment in Egyptian pounds despite telling him it will be settled in the morning with my credit card while checking out as I had no Egyptian currency. It turns out that credit was not allowed for airline passengers in the hotel but it was too late then, I had already taken few dreaded sips from the bottle, the guy took my signatures on the slip and went away.

Few minutes later, I get a phone call from a room service member of staff on the phone rudely telling me and bluntly accusing me of lying that I had agreed to pay in cash before placing the order for water bottle and the phone was hung up!

Moments later, another disgruntled member of staff turns up at the door informing me that I must have to pay the price of the bottle of water NOW IN CASH. He was ready to “escort” me to the “bank” downstairs to get the Egyptian currency as he would not accept British pounds sterling being unaware of the exchange rate, quite intimidating in a strange land being on your own with your young family. By now, it was almost 1 O’Clock in the morning, at this moment I started to wish this ended sooner than later as after a few hours we had to catch a 5 hours flight for London in the morning. On his demand, I handed him over my credit card to deduct the amount off it and requested him to leave us alone for some sleep.

The plight does not end here; ten minutes or so later same member of staff turns up with a man in suit holding a pin pad for me to enter the pin for my credit card. All this drama for a couple of pounds in a so called five start hotel, the staff has probably never heard about good will.

Anyway, I entered the pin for my credit card and thanked God for ending this episode of misery. A bit of effort of at least one hour with a bit of intimidation and insulting attitude, not a bad cost for a bottle of water.

This was my first incidental stop over in Egypt ever, what a wonderful first impression of Egyptians this hotel created on us. I would rather sleep at a third class bed and breakfast rather than this five start hotel. There is a bit more to share about other things of this hotel but this account of bottle of water takes the cake, for the rest you can read other reviews.

I hope this review may help some tired and weary travellers to avoid stressful experience at this dreadful place.

Room Tip: I don't believe any room is a good room in this hotel as long as the current staff is there. Avo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank SamUK786
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Sam UK 786
thank you for your feedback on our hotel

your sense of indignation is very justifiable as such an experience is certainly not to be expected at a reputable hotel

we have under taken corrective measures with the concerned department and also we have reinforced the same message in our regular training

we ask you to accept our very sincerely apology for this poor experience during your very brief stay

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed for some weeks in spring 2013. It's a good hotel staying for business. The receptionists at the front desk are very helpfull and the hotel stuff in general are trying to make the stay as nice as possible. Small adressed problems got taken care off in a outstanding manner! I can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We are delighted to read you review on your recent stay at Sonesta Hotel Tower & Casino Cairo and thank you for describing your positive experience at our Hotel.

Securing Guest comfort, happiness is the aim we are striving for and your kind words drives us to do the extra step to exceed your expectations.

Regarding your valuable comment Corrective action will been taken.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at Sonesta Hotel Tower & Casino Cairo.
Kind regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We checked in around 8pm.. found there was no bottled water in the room. Called room service to ask for it.. did not arrive for an hour; ordered an iron to press clothes.. were given a broken one; asked for bedroom slippers-2 pairs; only one pair delivered. Next day, used bath towels removed from room, but housekeeping 'forgot' to replace with new ones.
Rooms not well maintained.. plaster peeling in places.
The complimentary breakfast was substantial with fairly good service in the restaurant; the timings are the maximum I have seen 4.30am to 10.30am. It would have been good if they had a coffee/tea maker in the room; then guests would not have to come down twice to the breakfast room, once for bed tea and later for breakfast!

1  Thank DrQuresh M
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Dr. Quresh M

Thank you for your valuable feedback Corrective action has been taken.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is no where near being 5 star I would not give it any more than a 2. The check in staff were lovely we stayed here twice the first time we were put in a room the smelt sooo bad of stale smoke the handle to the room came off in my husbands hand. The bathroom door did not close there was no miny bar in the room there were no hand towels the carpet was filthy. Sitting in the cafe down stairs you are surrounded by smokers which in not pleasant . In the dining room for breakfast it was very uncomfortable as I was the only woman and was totally ignored by all staff my husband had to ask for anything. We left to go to Luxor and came back for 2 nights on our return our guide spoke to the management about how bad our last room was and they were excellent in upgrading us this time to a better room still I would definantly not put it as 5 star far from it. The biggest positive we found here was there Italian restaurant the staff in there were wonderful and for me very welcoming we chose to eat in there both nights as they were so nice.
We were there when the revolution was on so we were trapped in our surroundings. Oh and the gentleman in the gift shop was really lovely too.
The rooms definantly need to be renovated. And please consider making an area in your for the non smokers.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kell56
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Mrs. kell56
we very much would like to address and cure to the defects you have mentions and request you kindly to send us the room number and the date of the check in.
the stuff at dining room has been advised of your poor breakfast experience

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a flying visit - overnight only but I had most of the next day to hang around the hotel while my wife presented at a conference. Very pleasant hotel - nice pool and the room we stayed in (in the newer wing of the hotel) was superb. I wouldn't stay here if visiting Cairo purely because of the location (Nasr City) which seems too far from the main spots - but if you prefer to stay in this area, or are at a conference (like us) then this hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: From what I hear ask for the newer wing
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Hany S, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Guest
thank you for your feedback, we appreciate very much for having take time to write your valuable comment about our hotel .

we look forward to welcoming you again

Reviewed March 6, 2013

First of all, this isn't my first stay there, as the location is considered good, i always prefer staying there.
the check-in didn't take more than 5min, which was the only good thing there, front office during check-in was so good (not the case for check-out) :).
the room (430) was very large, took me sometime and lots of trials to figure out that the bathroom lights can only work when the room-card chip should be facing the wall :) not the opposite.
the bed was very hard and pillows were not so comfortable, i totally didn't like the sleeping quality.
also the waredrob has no shelves, so only hangers and you need to live with this fact.
Housekeeping was really poor, bathroom left wet, floor was wet and not perfectly cleaned, and toilet was also wet which is something i really hate.
the breakfast is poor as well, not many choices, and never changed during the 3 times i had it there.
during check-out, there were 4 or 5 front desk helping people, one was free, i asked to check-out my room, he acknowledged, but did nothing, just kept on talking to his colleagues and then gone, after like 4-5 min waiting, the other front desk figured out that i'm waiting and asked how he can help :) (i'm sure he knows what i wanted) anyway, he printed the 2 pages invoice, and gave it to me with thanks! i started folding the invoices so he kindly gave me an envelope (self service style)!! :)
also worthy to mention that there is NO WIRELESS in the rooms, they give cable to connect your laptop so forget about your tablet. and the internet connection is very good early morning only, otherwise it's barely working.

Room Tip: all rooms (X30) suppose to be very large and facing the pool side.
1  Thank ZiadNabil

Dear Mr. Zaid Nabil
thank you for your feedback, your comments are very much valuable.
this critique enable us to see our deficiencies and to take a corrective action
we look forward to having the chance to welcoming you on you next visit to Cairo at our Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

i spend 4 days at a very nice room with my wife . food there was was very good, but they don't care about "don't disturb" signs as Housekeeper can enter your room any time ,reception staff is helpful , hotel is near heliopolice & nasr city , not to far from the airport.
the Italian restaurant is very nice also the Lebanese nights restaurant.

may be i will be back .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nagui B
Hany S, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Mr. Hany T

Thanks you for your valuable comment regarding Housekeeping and make sure that a corrective action had been taken
we are very please to learn that you enjoy your stay and we sincerely hope to welcoming you again at Sonesta Hotel Tower & Casino Cairo