An hotel from Hell, prepare for the worst when you stay at this hotel as the staff is capable of stooping down to any level to intimidate and humiliate their guests for any of the rather petty reasons.
I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife and a 2 years old son and would rate this stay as my worst experience ever. Due to an over night flight lay over from Saudi Arabia to London, we stayed in the hotel on behalf of Egypt Air. The check in staff hardly bothered to answer any of my questions regarding the breakfast but it was not too bad.
The real saga starts in the room where we find not even a bottle of water. By this time, it was already past midnight and we had to catch the hotel shuttle for airport at 6 am next morning. When the room service was contacted for a bottle of water, they informed me it would cost 22 Egyptian pounds, about 2.5 British pounds! fair enough, ordered for it and the hell broke loose!
A member of the staff turns up at the door with bottle of water demanding adamantly cash payment in Egyptian pounds despite telling him it will be settled in the morning with my credit card while checking out as I had no Egyptian currency. It turns out that credit was not allowed for airline passengers in the hotel but it was too late then, I had already taken few dreaded sips from the bottle, the guy took my signatures on the slip and went away.
Few minutes later, I get a phone call from a room service member of staff on the phone rudely telling me and bluntly accusing me of lying that I had agreed to pay in cash before placing the order for water bottle and the phone was hung up!
Moments later, another disgruntled member of staff turns up at the door informing me that I must have to pay the price of the bottle of water NOW IN CASH. He was ready to “escort” me to the “bank” downstairs to get the Egyptian currency as he would not accept British pounds sterling being unaware of the exchange rate, quite intimidating in a strange land being on your own with your young family. By now, it was almost 1 O’Clock in the morning, at this moment I started to wish this ended sooner than later as after a few hours we had to catch a 5 hours flight for London in the morning. On his demand, I handed him over my credit card to deduct the amount off it and requested him to leave us alone for some sleep.
The plight does not end here; ten minutes or so later same member of staff turns up with a man in suit holding a pin pad for me to enter the pin for my credit card. All this drama for a couple of pounds in a so called five start hotel, the staff has probably never heard about good will.
Anyway, I entered the pin for my credit card and thanked God for ending this episode of misery. A bit of effort of at least one hour with a bit of intimidation and insulting attitude, not a bad cost for a bottle of water.
This was my first incidental stop over in Egypt ever, what a wonderful first impression of Egyptians this hotel created on us. I would rather sleep at a third class bed and breakfast rather than this five start hotel. There is a bit more to share about other things of this hotel but this account of bottle of water takes the cake, for the rest you can read other reviews.
I hope this review may help some tired and weary travellers to avoid stressful experience at this dreadful place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sonesta Cairo's 409 spacious guest rooms and suites offer a variety of luxurious amenities. A room on the executive floors offer exclusive lounges and 24-hour concierge service. The poolside bar and full-service spa with a Turkish steam bath are heavens for relaxation. After the pampering, the hotel offers several options at its gourmet restaurants serving Italian, Lebanese, Japanese, or French cuisine. One of the best Cairo hotels, the Sonesta is ideal for both business and leisure travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Hotel, Tower And Casino Cairo
- Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo Hotel Cairo
- Sonesta Cairo Hotel
- Sonesta Hotel Cairo
- Cairo Sonesta