“Very average hotel and is only good for transit”
Review of Le Passage Cairo

Le Passage Cairo
Ranked #2 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is very average. I had been to this same hotel in 1995 when it was under the management of "Movenpick" and was much better and cleaner. All the rooms are out-dated and need a lot of renovation. Rooms are very small and lack a lot of facilities for a good hotel. I can hardly rate this hotel as three stars, it is only convenient for transit travellers being in the airport, but never use it as a long staying hotel (more than one night).

However the staff is friendly and trying to do their best with the modest facilities.

Room Tip: A room in the main floor, away from reception area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shahir M
There are newer reviews for Le Passage Cairo

996 - 1,002 of 1,468 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were on our honeymoon and needed to stay two days in Cairo. We let the reception know that we were on our honeymoon hoping to get some nice treatment (as we did receive from other hotels). The only thing we received was an "Alf Mabrook".

From that point, it seemed as we were entering the gates of HELL. First is the unbearable smell of cigarette smoke, they would only bring one pair of slippers (for a double room) -- I guess one of us had to walk barefoot on the nasty carpet). I went down to the restaurant to ask for an empty cup, so that my wife and I could drink the almost 20LE bottle of water they sold to us. They refused to give us even empty cups.

So, we ordered delivery. For 1 HOUR, they prevented the delivery man from entering the property and they said no outside food is allowed in the hotel. They said if we are hungry, we can eat at their restaurant for 375LE per person OR starve in their hotel room. I asked if I can leave the hotel by taxi and they said it will cost me 120LE just to leave by taxi. We felt trapped. After much arguing and threatining to call the tourist police, they allowed the food in but it was already too late to eat it, and it was cold, so we placed it in the refrigerator.

The next morning, the food had began to become rotten because the refrigerator did not work. We reported the non-functional refrigerator and they did not even bother to do anything about it. We tried to use the hairdryer in the room. The hotel employee explained to us that the hairdryer had a short circuit and needed repair -- and he began pulling wires out of the wall. After approximately one hour, we asked him to leave and come back later. What a NICE HONEYMOON GIFT -- sending a repairman to stay in the room with you.

This horror story is to be continued...

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasDad2013
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had layovers of approximately 16 hours coming in and out of Addis Ababa and in such cases middle eastern airlines often put passengers up in hotels (as nice service). So I need to make clear that my review is coming from the perspective of being a complementary service, which cost me nothing. The hotel provides a regular shuttle between the airport and the hotel, we found the driver nice and in both trips waiting approximately 15 minutes for the shuttle. Our check in was in less than 10 minutes both trips but the number of different counters at the hotel seemed to confuse others. The room was clean, the bathroom clean with good water pressure. This hotel is a common location for weddings and we saw 4 different weddings during our two stays. There are two pools, they are nice but have rather odd hours, If I remember correctly it wasn't open until 8 and closed at 6. The food in the main restaurant isn't bad, although I do have to say I was impressed by their labneh.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 1028 and 1038
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua D
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very bad hotel !! It took us about 45mi to check in and when we did we got one if the worst rooms we ever stayed at. Not clean. The minibar isn't working and there is a water problem in the bathroom. Trust me you wouldn't wanna try this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Although it is usually my second choice for Cairo airport hotel (due to higher price and shuttle bus is every 30 minutes not per demand like Novotel), yet it is better in quality, service and food.
One nice feature I liked: Usually when I order something or ask for any service, it happens that I want to go to the toilet or have a shower, they come and knock and either you cut whatever you are doing or just ignore and call them again. I found a nice feature, a button that you hit, and keeps a signal outside the room : please wait.
I attached a photo for that

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2013

rooms stink, they allow smoking even in the non smoking rooms, the ash trays and food trays left outside rooms doors, but still the staff lie and say it is nonsmoking section, furniture looks very old and spotty, they transferred me 3 times, but they gave me worse rooms, when I requested to cancel and was about to call Novotel Hotel, they offered a little bit better room but still has this smoky stinky smell, it took me 3 hours from check in till i got to last room so i can sleep and catch my morning flight, it supposed to be 4 or 4.5 star hotel but i can't even rate it like 2 star motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hisham001
Reviewed September 2, 2013

the only thing that makes me book in this hotel is the place , and everything else is so bad
Parking with fees although the hotel website said it is free , No service at all , the front office team surprised that I have booking Voucher although there are no rooms available , after long negotiation he gave me a very bad room (Garden room )

Room Tip: choose the neighbor hotel NOVOTEL
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business