“Worst Manager ever ruined an otherwise exceptional experience”

Golden Tulip Flamenco
Ranked #48 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

First, I will probably give this place a second chance, however, I'm simply unwilling to recommend the Golden Tulip to anyone.
The second chance comes from a follow-up from a second manager who was actually willing to try to make things up to me and has promised a fantastic tour if I return.

THE PROBLEM: I booked a tour through the hotel, I paid more for the service, but was willing to because I had one day to visit The Pyramids and that was more important than price... anyway, I guess it doesn't matter where you are, and people will always try to take advantage of you.

In my case I paid for a half day tour (expected at least 4 hours) but ended up back in my hotel in 2 hours and forty-five minutes. This was mostly traffic, and commission installations.

Somehow it was my fault for thinking I was on a professional tour, even though I gave continual reminders that I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted to spend as much time at the pyramids as possible, I somehow believed that we were in a rush because we had more places to visit and things to see. (I share this story because I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, don't let anyone ruin your tours, and the most important parts of your trip!)

Anyway, on the ride back to the hotel I asked "where are we going next?" I discovered that I'd been whisked away--for nothing--and informed the guides (yes, two, one had injured his hand and couldn't drive) I was disappointed. I paid for half a day and it wasn't nice of them to take advantage of me, I'd paid good money (over twice what could easily be negotiated), and visiting the pyramids was the most important part of the trip...

...long story short, upon my return I informed the manager that I was extremely disappointed, and actually attempted to book another trip. But, they had no other agency to arrange a trip and the guide I just toured with was not willing to work with me anymore (or said he was busy...).

The initial manager blamed me and was generally disinterested, he got even more defensive when I said I expected better from the hotel. The truth, I never stay at nice places, I stayed at the hotel because I only had one day and I wanted to take advantage of it as much as possible.

I can't really imagine how I would have felt if I hadn't been taken advantage of by commission-chasing-tout-guides (it wasn't a tour, they were touts).

The service of everyone other than-THE-WORST-MANAGER-EVER (I know I haven't explained it well, but it was really the worst I've ever experienced, and I've stayed at 100rupee a night places in India)... everyone was great, the room was great (minus the heater wasn't working)...

If thing had been different I'd probably rate it an honest 4 stars... but I just don't know... oh, and I did kind of start off on the wrong foot. The taxi service was going to be twice fair price, the same people as the tour, and they weren't at the airport (you'd be surprised to find out that it was the same people as my tour, right? well it was) ... so I had to hire a drive in the early hours, they forced me to save my money. Anyway, they weren't there and they called me to complain... I think they wanted me to pay for nothing and I wasn't happy about being woken up so they could tell me that I needed to give them money for nothing...

Final verdict: I just can't recommend this place to anyone. I may stay there again, give them the chance to make things up to me, but probably won't. It was the worst experience I've ever had, worse than my experience at a nice hotel in India (previously reviewed) where they were being completely racist. It was simply the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

Room Tip: I thought the upgrade to riverview was worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Flamenco

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a well situated hotel, with room and balcony overlooking the river. Free WiFi. Do not forget to ask for a NON Smoking room when checking in. Also, the minibar is empty, so make sure to either bring or order a bottle of drinking water for during the night. The breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice. Friendly staff. The hot water supply late in the morning is an issue, it feels like it needs to be fixed. This morning we only had lukewarm water!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jacques B
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Great service, very pleasant bar, paid 89 usd a night bed and breakfast. Internet is a bit slow and connection is not stable. Location very good - there is a very good Italian restaurant around the corner that is definitely worth checking out - cannot say I had a lot of luck with Egyptian restaurants - it seems as if Egyptian food is the Eastern European version of Lebanese. A strong recommend for short stays on a budget.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if not too expensive
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank AlexOAE
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is nicely located, very close to Nile, and as it is a 5-10 minute walk from the river, the prices are very convenient. The room facilities are average, in the standard that you will find in a 2-3 star hotel elsewhere. The air condition works good but noisy. As I went in October closing it down in the nights did not bother me but it can be problematic in the summer time. Breakfast do not offer too many options, but you will certainly find something to eat. The hotel staff is very helpful, and there is a taxi price table hanged at the door which shows the fares that hotel's taxis charge for certain sightseeing places. The prices are convenient and helps you to avoid any hassle. Internet connection was quiet good and free either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JohnDoe049
Reviewed December 3, 2012

After quite moderate entrance and lobby area we were favourably surprised with the spacious, clean and well equipped room. Well you can never have it all - if you dont mind the continuous noise of the traffic(Egyptians just love their horns) or five a clock wake up by the imam nearby mosque - maybe the river side with balcony was too restless for us.
Restaurant interior did not fulfill expectations with 70´s spanish village bar decorations.
Breakfast was one of the most calamitous we have ever relapsed: Coffee was self serviced, if there was any left in the pot, it seemed the waiters were too busy with their own breakfasts, chef showed up occasionally for taking orders.
Best service was absolutely at the hotel entrance, receptionists seemed to be often quite busy.
Nice surrounding with many nice cafes and restaurants nearby. Along riverside couple of hundred meters to the north truly nice ones!

Room Tip: Riverside with balcony - noisy but nice views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PepiFinland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

very nice room and toilet, well, I stayed in the superior room, room 821 or something and then I moved to 62something, I didn't try the standard room so I only can speak about the superior ones :) the room was very nice, they clean it good, but they don't have to many tv channels so was kinda bored for me cz I wanted to watch tv and I couldn't.

reception guys were very helpful and cordial.

the onyl I have to say is that the breakfast was so bad :( sorry but is the true, very bad, even I had bf included I never used, and I opted to have bf outside the hotel at some near cafe as cilantro or another I don't remeber the name :) . But really, the bread was so dry and tasted like old bread, not too many options for food. I remeber i requested for a "tahine w hummos" was so bad. The only I have to complain about is about the food of this hotel.

Remember this hotel doesn't have gym or spa if you will chose it. But I recommend it really for value and rooms/toilets, very clean. :)

the locations is super nice also.

Room Tip: superior rooms are the best I think :) looking to the Nile, if your windows are kinda open you can c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bonita v
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was booked into this hotel by the company as it was a cheaper option to our normal hotel in Cairo. It was acceptable for a short stay. The location was not ideal and on the corner of some back streets in Zamelek. The room was adequate but I had previously requested a quiet room as other colleagues has stayed there and hardly slept due to the street noise. I did ask for a bathrobe and slippers which they did bring, but obviously not standard. The breakfast was just acceptable. The hot food was cold but there was a small choice of fruit, cereal and cheese. There were alot of cakes if you wanted these for breakfast. The small bar in the evening was horrible as it was full of people smoking. Even if you were a smoker, i am sure it would be very unpleasant. I hope I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: You definitely need to ask for a quiet room with 2 lots of double glazing. They have it on the balc...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business