“In the heart of it all but with little guidance” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramses Hilton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ramses Hilton
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
toronto
“In the heart of it all but with little guidance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

We did a tour with Trafalgar tours and this hotel was our last stay before we left to go back home. It is a huge hotel right in the heart of Cairo. The view from the hotel was of highways, highways and more highways. If you have ever been to Egypt you will notice that there are so many cars everywhere. From a north American standard, it is crazy. You cannot open your balcony door without hearing the roar of the highway. We were really high up as well.
Throughout my travels I have noticed that a lot of the Hiltons that we stay at are really run down and not 5 stars at all. I was under the impression that the Hilton was a luxury hotel. I guess not. I guess I have to keep in mind the cultural difference in each place I visit. The service at this Hilton was not so good. They were not so friendly.
If you are looking for a place right in the heart of the city that is safe, this would be a good choice. There was a lot of security at the hotel. Lots of metal detectors.
The food at the hotel was nothing special either. It was so unmemorable that I cannot even remember what I ate.
The biggest downside for me was that we wanted to go out of the hotel and walk around but we felt like we were stuck where we were. It was impossible to cross the street. There were no cross walks. You just have to jay-walk and hope for the best among the busy car traffic. They should create something for pedestrians to cross the street with. It can be very intimidating.

• Stayed January 2007
1 Thank jumpingjustyna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

The thing with this hotel is that you do not feel like it is a Hilton. It was the first time I have been to Cairo but I knew that the five star hotels are like 4 stars in Europe. It was not expensive so I think it's worth it. Rooms are comfy, staff are so friendly (except they did not take my luggage upstairs before three calls), you can get all you need from the information desk. There is a restaurant on the top floor which I did not eat in but the view seemed lovely. Like all hotels in Cairo, Ramses is also located next to Nile. The great museum is just across the street but it's entrance is a little far. Breakfast was not good and the casino is small. I would pick one of the Marriots or Four Seasons next time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dnpsn
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed at the Ramses Hilton as part of our Egypt vacation and absolutely enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

We had only 4 days in Cairo and wanted a convenient location and we definately got that. Seeing we were here for a very short time, we opted to hire a private tour guide to drive us around and it was well worth the money spent, but it was still cheaper than what the hotel was going to charge for similar excursions (not sure where to post my experiences with the tour guides but I won't do it here, but if you would like to contact me directly, i would be happy very to provide you a contact info of ours).

We had the option to upgrade our room to the executive floor, and I would highly recommend you do this if you have this option. We had preferential check in on the executive floor as well as breakfast, snacks, supper and drinks in the executive lounge. The staff, right from the Executive recptionists to the staff in the lounge area were top notch - the service was amazing. We also had complementary internet access on the executive floor computer.

We were upgraded to a room overlooking the nile and city, and it was great, rooms had alot of space and very nicely kept. The food was really good as well. The breakfast on the top floor had a great selection of food(buffet) with great views of the city from the restaurant. There are also 3 or so restaurants if you wanted to do some fine dining, they are abit pricey but very good. we went to the evening buffet and I really enjoyed the food there. This hotel also has a casino, we did not go inside as they wanted a copy of our passport and we did not have it but if you are into gambling, they also have this available.

The location is only two block away from the Egyptian Museum, so fairly convenient if you wanted to have breakfast and spend the day there. I know people complain about crossing the busy street to get there but if you walk down the street where the lanes go from 4 to 2, it is much easier to cross. So yes, the street is busy, lots of crazy drivers, but really not that bad.

Overall, this was definitely one of our highlights from the trip in terms of hotels. The service, staff and hotel were great. If you are given the opportunity to upgrade to executive at a reasonable price, definately do it. My only tip would be to hire a good private tour guide to show you around, it made a big difference seeing everything on our own rather than spending time waiting on the big tour groups (feel free to contact me if you want advice on tour guides).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tg49ers
Liverpool, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights in July 07 when in Cairo visiting the pyramids.

We found the hotel greatfor it's location and the cleanliness of our room. It had great views from the high floors and contained a small casino, spa shops etc.

There were, however, good and bad points to the hotel. I have listed the positives and negatives below:-

Positives:

* The hotel was in a good location - a few minutes walk from the Cairo museum and right on the nile. You could also see the pyramids in the distance from the high floors.

* The rooms were lovely - ours was on a high floor and had a small private balcony, a massive king size bed (very comfrotable), lovely tiled bathroom, clean, spacious and very large.

* We liked that there was a bar, restaurant, small casino and spa on site.

* There is a very large mall across the road from the hotel which is associated with it - it has many shops selling many different things which was handy for souvenirs.

*The Windows of the World restaurant, at the very top floor of the hotel, had beautful views from the floor to ceiling windows, amazing cuisine and fabulous live enteratinment of a pianist and singer. We had an amazing meal here. The staff were absolutely lovely and our waiter even took us through the kitchen up onto the actual roof of the hotel (where guests are not supposed to go!) to see the amazing views of Cairo lit up by nightfall.

The negatives to the hotel were as follows:

* The pool, although not dirty or bad in any way, wasnot the best. It was very small and over crowded and was built on the wrong side of the hotel - the very tall, large shadow of the tall hotel building loomed over it blocking out sun and warmth meaning it was shady and cool.

* The staff were not overly helpful or killing themselves to help.

* Perhaps the worst thing of all - my husband and I went to the spa for a massage after a long tiring day toruing the pyramids. I went into one room to have my massage and my husband into another to have his. We both had female massesues as only females worked at the spa. When I emerged from my massage my husband was waiting for me in reception. He informed me he had cut his massage session short because the masseuse, despite knowing he had come into the spa with me (holding hands and kissing each other goodbye), had touched him inappropriately (under his towel if you know what I mean) before offering him "extras". Disgustedly he had told her no but couldn't relax after the exchange so left the room immediately and waited for me in the reception area. So depending on your tates, you may find this a plus point (!) but we, as a newly engaged couple at the time, did not.

Apart from the incident at the spa we had a good stay at the hotel though and couldn' rally complain about anything else there.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Malfie
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Ramses Hilton as part of a Trafalgar tour group. Our rooms were very comfortable with views over the Nile or the city, and our room was very quiet. Overall though the hotel looked a little tired. The location is downtown, near the Egyptian Museum and opposite a shopping mall. We had dinner in a Lebanese restaurant in the mall which was quite good, and stocked up on a few grocery items there as well. Unfortunately it is not easy to get around Cairo on foot, and the traffic has to be seen to be believed, so we probably did not make the most of the central location. Breakfast was good, with an extensive range of food choices, although the service was poor and I would recommend you take breakfast early to avoid the rush. Internet access is available in the business centre which was efficient, with very helpful staff, but reasonably expensive. Our main disappointment with the hotel was on check out when the cashier told us our credit card wouldn't work and we had to pay our bill in cash. This meant we had to exchange cash into Egyptian pounds (at the hotel's currency exchange centre) in order to pay the bill. The credit card worked perfectly well at our next stop. Overall it is a reasonable hotel, but would probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2009
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, during my 2nd visit to Cairo..
It is an ok hotel , with spacious rooms and bathrooms.
It is very central , but difficult to be approached , due to it being next to a motorway.
the reception staff is very kind and eager to help as much as they can.
Breakfast is very good as well as the breakfast area.
Try the swimming pool. Don't expect too much , but I reccomend it for relaxation during the night , if the weather is fair.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank evemauve
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights while in Cairo. My room was clean and had a great view of the Nile River. To enter the hotel, you must go through a metal detector and put your bag through an X-Ray machine. There was a casino, pool, bar, restaurants, and many shops within the hotel. Downtown is within walking distance and the surrounding area felt safe. The Egyptian Museum is minutes away . An extensive breakfast was included withe the room. There is pay internet available in the rooms.

Stayed April 2009, traveled solo