“Nice location”

Ranked #13 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Manila
“Nice location”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We got an executive room, so it was fairly decent for another $50. We basically ate at the lounge every night and had a few beers every time for free. This is good value since alcohol is expensive in Egypt. The waiters knew us by the 2nd night and were automatically serving us the beers. Ask for the free wifi. My laptop didn't have a LAN outlet and I had to use wifi, besides we had an android tablet too.
Beside the Nile. Walking distance to the Egyptian Museum and Tahrir Square, but on the safer side so there's less chance of encountering any protests.
Sami the concierge was knowledgeable, kind and helpful.

Room Tip: You may want to upgrade to an executive room. Get a Nile river and October 6 bridge view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RaulManila
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest, Greetings from Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comment and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comments on the team perfotmance.

Thank you for the nice comment on Sami at the Information Desk. We will convey your comment to him.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel or any of our Hilton Hotels Worldwide.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here twice in November 2012. I have stayed here several times since 1988.
First we got a small suite to the north east. It was great with some additional space and the room was clean and the TV set worked well. The plumbing was very noisy the first night, but thereafter it was quiet. We did not complain since it resolved itself.
When we came back a week later we asked for an upgrade to a Nile-view room, here you could faintly hear the noise of the street with some traffic and the party boats. I found it very charming and spent a lot of time on the balcony to really enjoy the active Cairo nightlife. Which is a lot less since the revolution. This room was also clean with all amenities working well.
The rooms are a bit dated as the whole hotel. The breakfast area is very fresh and there is an amazing selection; fortunately we stayed a total of four nights so I could try most of the food. From plain fresh fruits, over standard European and American fare to Lebanese and of course Egyptian specialities.
We also had shisha and cocktails in the lobby bar several nights, the cocktails could have been larger, but they were very tasty. It was usually fairly full, but the service was still ok and the shisha was excellent.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, just at the Nile with the Egyptian museum at walking distance if you are brave enough to throw yourself in to the traffic. And even when you are not, the Egyptians are friendly enough to tell you to cross the street together with them, in particular in the evenings. From our Nile-view room we could see the demonstrations at the Tahrir Square and we even walked by one night. It was amazing to feel the difference, from feeling absolutely at ease and then come up to the square and to feel the tension in the air. There was at no time any reason to feel unsafe at the Ramses Hilton even though it is close to the Tahrir Square.
The service at check in and check out was perfect as the safety control and the bellman.
I will stay here again in particular if I can get a good price, but there are better hotels in Cairo. If they manage to get the beds, the rooms and areas around those freshened up I will move up in rating.

Room Tip: The rooms to the Nile are a bit more noisy than the others but not more than that you can sleep well...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatarinaC
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Ramses Hilton and thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments on the team performance. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel location and breakfast.

As for the hotel condition, we would like to inform you that our planned Master Plan renovation project has been delayed many times, due to the country situation which was not stable enough to get it done. However, this does not stop us from our regular maintenance schedule and small renovation projects.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton.

Best Regards.
UK
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My second stay here, and again a very pleasant and friendly one. We chose an executive room which included free wifi and use of the lounge. Lovely breakfast and pool facilities. Would certainly stay here again as it is so central and near to the metro and everything one could want. To those who say it is noisy - of course it is if you keep the balcony window open - this is Cairo for heaven's sake! Don't be put off by miserable reviews ...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor which overlooks both the Nile and Tahir square.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Examiner
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Ramses Hilton and thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments on the team performance. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the pool facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton. Best Regards.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for four nights over my husband's birthday - I've stayed twice before, and always found it a good service, conveniently located, hotel. Generally, the service conitnues to be very good, with concierge able to sort outings, and dinner menus for advance consideration and planning. Also, I'd posted a surprise birthday gift over, and this was handled well, waiting on our window table for dinner, and were the three (yes, three!) birthday cakes I knew nothing about - not sure what happened, maybe it's automatic when they know someone has a birthday. He had the whole kitchen and restaurant staff singing happy birthday and presenting an enormous chocolate cake iced with his name at breakfast, then another one waiting in our room with flowers, and a further one delivered after dinner that night. Unfortunately the room fridge wasn't big enough for any of them, so we gave them away to the staff. A fascinating interlude at the birthday dinner - we were the only people in the restaurant for some time, then another "couple" came in. Ten minutes later another woman came up to their table and conversation became increasingly loud and abusive. However, only when the new woman actually picked up a glass and threw it to the table did the staff intervene, whisking the still shouting and screaming party to the lifts. They didn't clear the glass off the carpet, either. What they did do was rush over to apologise to us, explaining that the first woman had been the mistress, and the second the wife, hence the fireworks. We had guessed that! :) The pianist had stopped playing when the shouting started, and resumed once the lift had taken the combatants away - we thought her immediate choice of Smile Though Your Heart Is Breaking was interesting! What did make us laugh was half an hour later when two more people walked in for dinner. After settling them at a table, the waiter rushed over to inform us "It is alright, they are married, we have checked!"
The rooms are comfortable and roomy, and we very much enjoyed the Executive Lounge. The little snacks, and buffet nibbles of an evening, are tasty and prettily presented. However we do feel the restaurants are over priced, and the sales taxes are added on top at the end, so it's doubly unpleasant on the wallet.
We had pyramid view rooms on our earlier stays, but this time it seemed we only had a choice between City or Nile view, and I couldn't remember what we looked over last times. Turns out a corner room lets you see both the Nile and the City, and the reason I assume they no longer offer the pyramid view is the smog is now so thick you mostly can't see them from any angle! However, on one day of our stay they were bright and clear, so it is worth requesting a room that at least looks in their direction, then crossing your fingers for a clear air day.
Also, we were moving on to the Luxor Hilton after this stay, and wanted to make a minor change to our planned activities there. I asked the woman at the Hilton Honors desk to contact the Luxor Hilton and make the cancellation, and she pretty much refused to help. She questioned me about the details, and when she found out it was two days away said I should do it myself when we got there. I consider that rude, and not appropriate, as the service provider should be advised as soon as possible so they can make other arrangements if desired, and not on the day of cancellation.
Obviously the location of this hotel is still just across the block from the Museum, but that also places it across the block from the centre of Cairo's protests and killings, and across the road from the bombed out building and cars from an earlier attack. Although we felt safe throughout our stay, with sniffer dogs and security checks at the hotel entrance, you have this immediate reminder that Cairo is not a settled city.
One thing- we went to a store across from the museum, which was supposed to be a government store, with its registration number above the door allegedly assuring tourists of no rip offs, and we bought perfume oils and arranged to have them shipped home. Having now read about some very dodgy practices around such claims we're waiting to see if our oils turn up! Go through the concierge for safety's sake, and maybe sort out posting home through the hotel rather than the shops direct.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are worth the extra, being further from the road noise, and for the drinks and s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank annieje
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Our Dear Guest, Greetings and thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comment on the performance of the team members. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the birthday event .

Milan, Italy
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I suggest to avoid this hotel, unless you get a very low daily rate.
Usually I spend 3 nights per week in 4 or 5 stars hotels, and they are always very similar, but the experience in this Hilton was very disappointing, due to:
-the registration lasted more than 40 minutes, just because my voucher was reporting included "Colazione" instead of breakfast, and it was at 22:00. In another hotel, the receptionist would have given to me the key in a few minutes and said, "OK we will check it with our booking office and we will let you know if there is an issue".
-When I travel I always need a WiFi connection, the receptionist told me to use the cable in the bedroom. When I tried the internet cable, it was not working, so I called from my room the following numbers:
- concierge
- front desk
- hotline guest service
I called 3 times each number and nobody answered.
I had to go downstairs, to require some support.
Two men came into my room and stayed there for over 30 minutes, and the conclusion was:
-for internet, use the WiFi
-for the phone, being in an executive floor, those numbers are diverted to the executive floor front desk, but at that time in the night, nobody was there.
So the solution proposed was: call the operator and ask him/her to re-route you to the front desk.
When I travel for business purpose, I can't waste so much time, and this is way I try stay in good hotels.
The hotel clearly needs to be renovated: the carpets are old and dirty, most of the places in the hotel are too old for a 5 starts hotel.
Unfortunately also the position of the hotel is not very good, if you want to walk outside, for example to go to the Egyptian Museum, you need to cross a very dangerous and large road.
When it was built probably it was fantastic, now it needs some improvement, or to be qualified as a 3 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Luigi_il_bergamasco
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
We have read your comments on the service standards which made your stay uncomfortable.
Please accept our sincere apology for the discomfort you went through during your recent stay.

As for the hotel condition, please note that the hotel will soon go through a master plan of renovation to satisfy all our guests' needs.

We value you as a loyal guest to the property and we will do whatever it takes to keep our loyal guests.

Hurghada, Egypt
Reviewed February 7, 2013

It was so nice stay, I have been welcomed by every one working in h hotel, Specially the receptionist Menna give me more than my expectations like non smoking room although I requested it upon check in.
Thanks to all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MinaLabib
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comment and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comments on the team perfotmance specially Menna. We will convey your comment to her in person.

Kathmandu, null, Nepal
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We felt at home here, it was more than what we expected in a five star hotel, Staff are warm cheerful and always hepful.The hotel is really good value for money and everything thing is excellent. We are very happy that we chose this hotel.

Room Tip: The room Facing Nile is really great and also the corner rooms !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KhusbuSarkar
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Ramses Hilton.