“Some thing much better than average, others not good at all” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramses Hilton

Ramses Hilton
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
“Some thing much better than average, others not good at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for four nights over my husband's birthday - I've stayed twice before, and always found it a good service, conveniently located, hotel. Generally, the service conitnues to be very good, with concierge able to sort outings, and dinner menus for advance consideration and planning. Also, I'd posted a surprise birthday gift over, and this was handled well, waiting on our window table for dinner, and were the three (yes, three!) birthday cakes I knew nothing about - not sure what happened, maybe it's automatic when they know someone has a birthday. He had the whole kitchen and restaurant staff singing happy birthday and presenting an enormous chocolate cake iced with his name at breakfast, then another one waiting in our room with flowers, and a further one delivered after dinner that night. Unfortunately the room fridge wasn't big enough for any of them, so we gave them away to the staff. A fascinating interlude at the birthday dinner - we were the only people in the restaurant for some time, then another "couple" came in. Ten minutes later another woman came up to their table and conversation became increasingly loud and abusive. However, only when the new woman actually picked up a glass and threw it to the table did the staff intervene, whisking the still shouting and screaming party to the lifts. They didn't clear the glass off the carpet, either. What they did do was rush over to apologise to us, explaining that the first woman had been the mistress, and the second the wife, hence the fireworks. We had guessed that! :) The pianist had stopped playing when the shouting started, and resumed once the lift had taken the combatants away - we thought her immediate choice of Smile Though Your Heart Is Breaking was interesting! What did make us laugh was half an hour later when two more people walked in for dinner. After settling them at a table, the waiter rushed over to inform us "It is alright, they are married, we have checked!"
The rooms are comfortable and roomy, and we very much enjoyed the Executive Lounge. The little snacks, and buffet nibbles of an evening, are tasty and prettily presented. However we do feel the restaurants are over priced, and the sales taxes are added on top at the end, so it's doubly unpleasant on the wallet.
We had pyramid view rooms on our earlier stays, but this time it seemed we only had a choice between City or Nile view, and I couldn't remember what we looked over last times. Turns out a corner room lets you see both the Nile and the City, and the reason I assume they no longer offer the pyramid view is the smog is now so thick you mostly can't see them from any angle! However, on one day of our stay they were bright and clear, so it is worth requesting a room that at least looks in their direction, then crossing your fingers for a clear air day.
Also, we were moving on to the Luxor Hilton after this stay, and wanted to make a minor change to our planned activities there. I asked the woman at the Hilton Honors desk to contact the Luxor Hilton and make the cancellation, and she pretty much refused to help. She questioned me about the details, and when she found out it was two days away said I should do it myself when we got there. I consider that rude, and not appropriate, as the service provider should be advised as soon as possible so they can make other arrangements if desired, and not on the day of cancellation.
Obviously the location of this hotel is still just across the block from the Museum, but that also places it across the block from the centre of Cairo's protests and killings, and across the road from the bombed out building and cars from an earlier attack. Although we felt safe throughout our stay, with sniffer dogs and security checks at the hotel entrance, you have this immediate reminder that Cairo is not a settled city.
One thing- we went to a store across from the museum, which was supposed to be a government store, with its registration number above the door allegedly assuring tourists of no rip offs, and we bought perfume oils and arranged to have them shipped home. Having now read about some very dodgy practices around such claims we're waiting to see if our oils turn up! Go through the concierge for safety's sake, and maybe sort out posting home through the hotel rather than the shops direct.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are worth the extra, being further from the road noise, and for the drinks and s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank annieje
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Our Dear Guest, Greetings and thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comment on the performance of the team members. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the birthday event .

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel or any of our Hilton Hotels Worldwide.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I suggest to avoid this hotel, unless you get a very low daily rate.
Usually I spend 3 nights per week in 4 or 5 stars hotels, and they are always very similar, but the experience in this Hilton was very disappointing, due to:
-the registration lasted more than 40 minutes, just because my voucher was reporting included "Colazione" instead of breakfast, and it was at 22:00. In another hotel, the receptionist would have given to me the key in a few minutes and said, "OK we will check it with our booking office and we will let you know if there is an issue".
-When I travel I always need a WiFi connection, the receptionist told me to use the cable in the bedroom. When I tried the internet cable, it was not working, so I called from my room the following numbers:
- concierge
- front desk
- hotline guest service
I called 3 times each number and nobody answered.
I had to go downstairs, to require some support.
Two men came into my room and stayed there for over 30 minutes, and the conclusion was:
-for internet, use the WiFi
-for the phone, being in an executive floor, those numbers are diverted to the executive floor front desk, but at that time in the night, nobody was there.
So the solution proposed was: call the operator and ask him/her to re-route you to the front desk.
When I travel for business purpose, I can't waste so much time, and this is way I try stay in good hotels.
The hotel clearly needs to be renovated: the carpets are old and dirty, most of the places in the hotel are too old for a 5 starts hotel.
Unfortunately also the position of the hotel is not very good, if you want to walk outside, for example to go to the Egyptian Museum, you need to cross a very dangerous and large road.
When it was built probably it was fantastic, now it needs some improvement, or to be qualified as a 3 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Luigi_il_bergamasco
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
We have read your comments on the service standards which made your stay uncomfortable.
Please accept our sincere apology for the discomfort you went through during your recent stay.

As for the hotel condition, please note that the hotel will soon go through a master plan of renovation to satisfy all our guests' needs.

We value you as a loyal guest to the property and we will do whatever it takes to keep our loyal guests.

Hurghada, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

It was so nice stay, I have been welcomed by every one working in h hotel, Specially the receptionist Menna give me more than my expectations like non smoking room although I requested it upon check in.
Thanks to all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MinaLabib
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Greetings from Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comment and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comments on the team perfotmance specially Menna. We will convey your comment to her in person.

Kathmandu, null, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We felt at home here, it was more than what we expected in a five star hotel, Staff are warm cheerful and always hepful.The hotel is really good value for money and everything thing is excellent. We are very happy that we chose this hotel.

Room Tip: The room Facing Nile is really great and also the corner rooms !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KhusbuSarkar
Greetings from Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comment and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comments on the team perfotmance.

Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at Ramisis Hilton for the second time last January. My previous stay was in January 2010. the hotel continues to be good, but some furniture needs to be rennovated. One thing I didn't like this year was the red plastic ribbon sealing the mini bar as if the hotel wants to force me to either use the drinks inside or not to use it for my own water and drinks and food

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nour2010
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Ramses Hilton and thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay with us.

Thank you for the nice comments on the team performance.

As for the hotel condition, we would like to inform you that our planned Master Plan renovation project has been delayed many times, due to the country situation which was not stable enough to get it done. However, this does not stop us from our regular maintenance schedule and small renovation projects.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton.

Best Regards.
Luxbg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

the Hilton Brand, the location and the expectations had determined the choice of this hotel before the actual wake up.
As mentioned here many times, this hotel is nowhere near the usual Hilton... it is a huge concrete bunker, located on a corner facing a junction of 5 or 6 streets and one of the few Nile bridges.
The noise and smog is just obnoxious, traffic outside, small and overcrowded Lobby, old and slow
elevators.....
The rooms are spacious enough but so much aged and dusty. The Rooftop Pool is as big as 3
bathtubs and has cracked tiles all over....
Staying in this hotel is just depressing and not really worth the money.
My stay goes back to exactly when the "revolution " started.... so maybe things have changed since.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank okrased
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Greetings from the Ramses Hilton,

We do apologize for the outside noise which is really out of our control and the condition of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We have taken your comments very seriously into consideration to further improve our hotel condition.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton.
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in September 2011, during a very uneasy time amongst the Egyptian people and government. Any concerns I had about visiting Cairo were quickly erased as soon as I arrived at this hotel. The staff was very friendly, spoke English, and did everything to accomodate me during my stay. The hotel has plenty of entertainment inside (hookah lounger w/live performers, casino, shopping mall, business center) which was enough for me to relax during my stay in Cairo. Cairo itself may not be the cleanest city with its overcrowded population and traffic jams, but this hotel will make you forget everything and want to return.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Armo78
Ramses H, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Greetings from Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comment and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your nice comments on the team perfotmance and the lounge .