“Decent ..”

Ranked #13 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Sterling, Virginia
“Decent ..”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here two separate nights in late August 2012. There had been some slight political protest but nothing crazy. Got an executive suite both nights, with fantastic view of the Nile and pyramids (on good day without too much haze).

Check-in process was bit slow ... reception seems understaffed ... as many porters as check-in staff. Seems a bit backwards to me. Seven counters with 2-3 people staffing them, or even just one sometimes. Concierge desk seemed like a good thing but half the time it was a longer wait than reception since he was on the phone so much. They need one concierge for the phone and another for face to face.

Minor pet peeve with front desk is there seems to be little concept of "first come, first served". People butt in line to ask a "quick" question (usually in Arabic) while I had been waiting for 10 minutes .. making me wait yet another 5 minutes. Annoying. That is what the concierge should be for.

A pleasant surprise for me was when I opened the balcony door I could hear Cairo in all its maddening glory .. traffic and all. When closed, I could barely hear it. I *LIKE* that noise, and that I could shut it off at will.

Room was spacious and clean, and it looks like it has been renovated. Bathroom is nice as well, the only detail I would complain about is the bathtub faucet being outdated looking, though totally functional. Some have complained about the showerheads but mine was fine - adjustable height.

Room temp was good .. set to cold, but totally adjustable.

Breakfast was very good, though getting asked twice for my room number was a bit annoying. They may need a clearer entry point / checkpoint to avoid this sort of thing. And maybe I should dress like an executive rather than jeans / t-shirt, but hey I was there to relax, not work.

In-room service was mixed. The food presentation was excellent, and quality / taste-wise it was also generally very good. The first night I got fish & chips off the kids menu (it was not available any other way!), and some cold mezzes, which were excellent. But ... how could you mess up fish & chips and mezzes? So basically, I didn't test them too much. The fish & chips came without vinegar, but not a huge deal.

The second night (two nights later) I upped the ante a bit and ordered Couscous Maghreb with lamb, with a lemon pie for dessert. Took a while to arrive, but with lamb I see that as a good sign. It should not be quick. The lamb was great. It was supposed to come with mint sauce, but instead came with three different sauces: one red (spicy), one red (not spicy .. maybe tomato sauce?), one curry-based with chickpeas ... disappointing. The couscous was slightly mushy and sour... I don't believe that is normal for couscous.

The lemon pie was wonderful, until I came across a fish bone in it. Yes, a fish bone in my lemon pie. I was too embarrassed on behalf of the hotel to bring it to their attention in person, and instead left them a note. This is in part because the staff *IS* very attentive and nice, but apparently the kitchen needs some work. I did have some food once at the lounge downstairs, and saw the chef doing some preparation in a fairly dim area. Would be easy to miss details that way.

I picked this hotel as an oasis in the middle of chaotic Cairo .. and for that purpose it worked wonderfully, but mostly just as a contrast. Had this been a Hilton in say, Paris, it might get 2.5 stars. In Egypt ... 3.5 or MAYBE 4 stars.

Room Tip: get a top level room, with view of Nile.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bit_jaundiced
741RaniaM741, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments which we consider always as valuable. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel view, the accomodation and the breakfast.

We would like to inform you that our planned Master Plan renovation project has been delayed many times, due to the country situation which was not stable enough to get it done. However, this did not stop us from our regular maintenance schedule and small renovation projects.

As for your comments related to the Front Desk and the Kitchen, please be sure that we will forward it to the concerned managers for review.

We value you as a loyal guest to the property and we will do whatever it takes to keep our loyal guests.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is in a rather chaotic part of Cairo. Rooms are large but tired looking. People are allowed to smoke their lungs out in the lobby. Breakfast buffet had very good selections. I would opt to stay somewhere else if there's a next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
741RaniaM741, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Greetings from the Ramses Hilton.

We have read your comments about your stay with us and it is good to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and your nice comments about the hotel breakfast and the team performance.

We would like to inform you that our plan for renovation has been deIayed many times due to the country situation which is not stable enough to get it done. However, this does not stop us from renovating many areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon or any of our Hilton Hotels Worldwide.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

While generally this hotel has a great locality ( downtown, next door to Tahrir Square and across the road from the museum), good sized rooms, and a fabulous view of the Nile and the city, it does show its age with a constantly damp bathroom floor (toilet had a mild leak somewhere), and a shower head that would only suit someone under 4'10". That being said, the thing that really bothered me was when I went to settle up before we left only to find out that the hotel charged 3LE plus municipal and 2 other taxes, plus service charges and one other charge for each time I tried to make a local call to Luftansa to confirm our flight and got a message saying the lines were all busy. In total, I paid an exorbitant amount and nowhere on the hotel information sheet did it
say there is a charge for local calls. Be warned... Let the reception desk call and you talk directly to the airline rep yourself. That way there are no extra unexpected fees!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Greetings from the Ramses Hilton.

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the hotel and your nice comments about the hotel situation and the team performance.

As for the applicable taxes that were added to your bill, please note that they are automatically posted by the system, as it is imposed by the local government.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 6, 2012

In the heart of city. Great location. Clean but old rooms. The nile view rooms are awsome, checked in th 19th floor and was good. Heard that 23ed and above floor are better but more expensive!
Food is awful.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Alaamohamad
Greetings from the Ramses Hilton.

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the hotel and your nice comments about the hotel situation, the cleanliness and the team performance.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

stayed here as part of a package then on to luxor to do a cruise ,then stayed in the luxor hilton , you think your ok when you choose a top hotel think again, in cairo this hotel is mainly for buisness which is fair enough but when you have to be extremly quiet as they are working on laptop? the hotel itself is no great shakes not what you would expect rooms are ok clean but when you go and order an ice cream and find the man handling your food has just emptied the contents of his nose into his hands is a no no , and the pool is the size of a postage stamp you imagine in that heat how many people want to use it

Room Tip: your own at home
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
741RaniaM741, General Manager at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Ramses Hilton and for taking the time to inform us with your comments. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I was concerned to know of the problems you had while staying at our hotel. I completely understand your dissatisfaction and would like to sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please rest assured that I am personally following up on your comments to ensure that the appropriate corrective actions are immediately taken so that these situations do not reoccur in the future. Kindly note that we are in the process of preparing for a full renovation plan for the hotel very soon.

We place great value on your custom and your continued relationship with Hilton.

We look forward to welcoming you and your clients once more to the Ramses Hilton and any of our Hilton Family Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

there is no relation between the name HILTON and this hotel.
i booked through the official website and confirmed my reservation there, and when i arrived i found my room wasnt ready and i stayed 4 hours in the reception waiting for the house keepers to make up my room ( and it wasnt clean after that)
there is no saftybox inside the room.
Signal of the TV channels were soooooooooo bad.
Internet service was sooo bad as well

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

I was concerned to know of the problems you had while staying at our hotel specially the problem you had with your check in. I completely understand your dissatisfaction and would like to sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for a wonderful weekend at this great hotel on June 2012.From the very beginning, the service was excellent. We had a suite in 17th floor where Nile view was amazing particularly in the early morning. All staff made sure that we were satisfied at all times. The rooms are clean and spacious. If you are looking for the luxury, you find it. The hotel food is really delicious. We had the dinner at Terrace Cafe while the breakfast was at Windows on the World with its fantastic view where you can see the Nile, pyramids, and many attractions of Egypt. Noise outside was terrific, but once you close the windows, you would be in another quiet place. Though we asked for a suite in a floor higher than the 20th floor, but we were given the suite in the 17th floor. I would absolutely recommend staying here while in Cairo as it is providing excellent value.

Room Tip: Have breakfast in Windows on the World restaurant, it is amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AmrBadry
741RaniaM741, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Greetings from the Ramses Hilton.

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the hotel and your nice comments about the hotel situation, the food,the cleanliness, the team service.