“Impressive hotel”

Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
australia
“Impressive hotel”
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We stayed at the Cairo Marriott 3 times in quick sucession. The hotel is set around an old palace and is next to the Nile.

The rooms were nice and clean. All stays were in a Nile view room, some of the views were better than others. One stay we were upgraded to a suite which was very nice. The bathrooms in the normal rooms had a combined shower/bath which is something I don't like, however the bathroom in the suite was much larger and nicer. We had an uncomfortable bed one stay, and called the front desk to either get a new mattress or change rooms. Someone from housekeeping came up and removed the matress pillow layer (like a soft bit that goes on top of the matress) and then it was fine.

We ate at the hotel restaurant Egyptian nights a few times, it was very nice. It's outdoors, there's a singer and the smell of people with their hookah pipes wafting through the air (the air smelt like roast apple). There's also a couple of ladies making fresh bread (aish) for everyone. There were plenty of other restaurants in the hotel, but we figured we were in Egypt, so we should eat egyptian food, not sushi or pasta! Although we did go to The Bakery a few times - they have very nice cakes.

The hotel is on the island of Zemalek, which is in the Nile at about the centre of Cairo, easy walking distance to downtown and the egyptian musuem. Nearby the hotel there are a couple of nice restaurants - Le Cairo 1942, Abou el Sid and Maison Thomas are all good, and within a 5 minute walk.

The hotel also has a nice pool and gym.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aussie_h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2009

Most of the pics of this hotel you see are of the pretty, historic palace. Out of sight on each side are two fairly architecturally dull, 20-storey blocks which is where the rooms are.

The rooms are of a good quality, though 4-star rather than 5-star, and the hotel itself has everything you might need. In fact the hotel is almost like a mini-town, with banks, restaurants, pharmacy, book shop, bakery. In fact on the second of our two mornings we went to the bakery for our breakfast as it was cheaper than the hotel’s buffet breakfast.

There is no question this hotel provides a lovely oasis from the bustle of Cairo, though Zamalek was slightly less posh / sophisticated an area to what I was expecting. However, I would have no hesitation recommending the Marriott.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Zippitydoodah
Melbourne
Reviewed December 20, 2009

This is an old hotel that has glitz, glam and some grandeur. It also has a hint of tackiness.

The good things were:
- the room was quite large;
- our room was quiet;
- the business centre. Wow, a real centre that is actually used for business and where the staff know what they are doing! Great equipment.
- the staff were friendly and helpful; and
- the room was clean.

The bad things were:
- the room, supposedly non-smoking, smelled of smoke;
- the shower/bath was small;
- some parts of the hotel (pool, and some restaurants for eg) are tired and shabby;
- some of the restaurants were very expensive.

SMOKING - although there are many non-smoking signs around the hotel, people smoke widely. I found this to be a problem in one restaurant. We were eating a $250 USD meal (2 people no alchohol) when a woman next to us lit up. This I cannot handle. When I pointed out (politely I might add) to the staff that this was a non-smoking restaurant they said they would be happy to move me to a table further away!

The hotel needs to get on top of this, to my mind as a non-smoker there is not much worse than always having your clothing and hair smelling of smoke!

TIP 1: we used the handy yellow pages in our room to order food delivery from outside which we collected at the gates. Saved us quite a lot of money.

TIP 2: the hotel has an excellent bakery which we used for great and affordable breakfasts.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank lex_loci_david
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We stayed here for one night in December for an overnight cruise excursion. It is a beautiful hotel. But moving around can be confusing as there are many wings. There was security check at each hotel entrance. A little incovenient but I suppose necessary given that possibility of terrorist attacks and Marriott's experience in Jakarta. But it did make me uncomfortable and question myself if I should have picked a different hotel. Internet connection was fast but it is not free. We used it anyhow since it is must more expensive on the cruise ship. Buffet breakfast was part of our package and our kids dine free. Spread was good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
SF Bay area
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights. Excellent hotel. Very comfortable, clean good sized rooms. Definitely up to the same standard as the other Marriott hotels in the US. Quiet oasis in what is otherwise a chaotic city

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l0vetotravel15
Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We are world travelers but I am very fussy with my hotels. I looked long and hard for the right place in Cairo because I knew it would need to be a 'haven' from the crazy outside.

We were traveling with our two teenage children and it is a must that our rooms either interconnect or are adjacent to each other. I did send many emails to make sure that this was a priority. When we went to check in they had us booked on the same floor but at different ends of the hotel. I stood my ground and just said it was a must that we had the two rooms together and they were able to accommodate that request without too much hassle.

The staff we found to be friendly and had no problems of any kind.

From the outside this hotel looks nothing special (like most places in Cairo) even the lobby is a bit, ho hum but the grounds are just stunning. They live up to all the rave reviews.

Breakfast is served in the lower level of the hotel and is quite special.

There is a bank on the premises and quite a few atms as well.

We had a room with nile views. The balconies are quite large and great to have a drink on at the end of a long, hot day. There is a bottle shop not far from the hotel. Staff will give you directions.

Overall would highly recommend this hotel

* One thing I wish someone had told me is there is no taxi stand at the Cairo airport. You either have to arrange transport beforehand or be bombarded with the many "taxi/limo drivers" and negotiate a rate for transport on the spot.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MissTravelAlot
Paris
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Egyptians are friendly, polite and hospitable people. A good Egyptian will tell you he is a very very honest man, and than proceed to lie straight into your face.
I have read all the write ups on the Marriott Cairo here, a hotel build around a magnificent restored palace created for Empress Eugéne of France when she attended the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869. Naturally I was happy when our travel agency suggest we stay there. Nevertheless I was determent not to fall into the trap as one of the writers here, who slept the first night in a noisy room next to the weeding venue.
The polite guy at reception on arrival told us that the hotel is fully booked, but he will let us have a very nice room on the ground floor. It turned out to be the same noisy room that our fellow writer, warned us about. We moved to higher floor room the next day and all was well, or so we thought.
The porter who moved our luggage when we changed rooms has disappeared for 15 minutes while we waited for the new room to be prepared. When he arrived he held my suitcase close to his heart and deposited it on the rake in a funny manner, though I thought nothing of it at the time.
The new room in one of the 2 towers, had a lovely view, and although small as all the other rooms, was very well equipped. We enjoyed the luxury of the hotel, the generous breakfast and the elegant setting for 4 nights, until it was time to go.
Packing my suitcase and setting it on the floor early morning, I had the shock of my life, as I saw to my horror that the back trolley handle on my expansive Samsonite has been brutally removed. Realising that I will have to tour Egypt for 2 weeks with a broken suitcase and that our limousine was waiting to take us to the airport, I called guest relations and explained the drama.
Downstairs a very polite Assistant front desk manager named Ahmed Dardir, handed me his card and promised to solve my problem. Proposing to repair the suitcase for which of course we had no time, or reimbursed me, seems at the time a fair way to treat the problem. Until a know it all porter near by, suggest that the repairs would cost 120 local Lira and proceeded to handing me the cash. Being confused so early in the morning and with the limousine people pressing us to go, as not to get stuck in traffic, we sailed away.
Mr. Dardir and the head concierge Hamdi kept in touch by phone through our trip, with the promised to buy a new case in Cairo and despatch it to our last hotel, which of course never happened, or credit my card with 500 Lira which never materialised either.
I phoned and E-mail since several time only to achieve nothing. Obviously apart from being extremely polite, those people have prefect the art of lying to a very high level.
Thank you Marriott for being an oasis of calm in the middle of hectic Cairo and for ruining my trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends