“Very satisfied with this hotel”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We were staying here as part of a 12 day tour, so we added on extra nights both before and after. At first they gave us a room in the lower building which links the two towers, overlooking the parking lot. We asked to move, they moved us to a room with a construction site outside the window, so they moved us upstairs overlooking the pool. We were very happy. We found the room to be fine. Not superb, but no complaints. We were very comfortable. The hotel itself is gorgeous, so be sure to walk around, not only the grounds, but the inside also as this was once a palace and it shows. Look up at the ceilings and walk into the conference rooms if they are open.

Beware of the lovely little bottles of Evian water they place in the rooms, as they charge a small fortune of around AU$6.00 ea. I think they did give one comp bottle per day. We were extremely careful not to let any Egyptian tap water pass our lips. Therefore I always kept a bottle of water right next to our toothbrushes so we wouldn't slip up and forget. We also were very careful not to let any water trickle into our mouths when showering. I filled the kettle with tap water before bed, and boiled it. When it was cool in the morning I used this water to re-fill our bottles. This worked fine for us and we didn't suffer at all.

We found the food less than average and expensive, as were the cocktails. However the restaurant down the front entrance ramp (to the R) and across the road called Maxim was wonderful and cheap! Very modern and relaxed. We ate there twice. Take the elevator upstairs, as they also have a cruise division.

I thought some of the comments about the shops were a bit harsh. Having spent several hours over two days in the Khan El Khalil market, I thought the selection at the shops was quite alright and not that much more expensive if you don't want to go to the market. I think they had all the same selections we saw outside.

On our return stay at the end of our tour we again had to ask to be moved to a better, and higher, room, which they did and we were satisfied again. This time we overlooked the Nile and the city. I think if you are booked there as part of a tour they try to put you in the lesser rooms. So if you are not happy, don't waste any time asking to be moved. We pointed out that we are Marriott Rewards members and staying extra days and they wanted us to be happy.

Try to catch the local women baking fresh bread down by the pool/restaurants in the mornings. The breakfast buffets were fabulous!

I think the internet connection was expensive.

The swimming pool is open 24 hours!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tinydancer2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,444)

Reviewed May 31, 2009

Me and my partner spent 3 days at Marriott Zamalek for a friend's wedding. I did not expect a 5-star resort as I had read all Tripadvisor reviews before going there, nevertheless, I expected the American standards of hospitality. To be honest, the hotel offers a safe and pleasant environment to spend one's time but at reasonable rates. In other words, I recommend Marriott Zamalek for a reasonable price as the one we paid (special rate due to the wedding's arrangement $150 per night for a standard double room at the Gezira tower) but not for more. The reason is that most rooms are rather outdated in furnishings and equipment (bamboo veranda furniture are worn out, TV is more than 5 years' old) and the restaurants are also rather old-fashioned, not offering present, luxury standards.
All in all, we had a nice time, the massage was fantastic and at a great bargain price of $25 (!!!), what a relaxing experience! You will certainly miss the coffee in Cairo, nowhere to have a descent cup of strong coffee unfortunately but if you are a smoker (still) you will enjoy the Shisha in the Egyptian nights restaurant as we did!

2  Thank efal
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed at the Cairo Marriott for 4 nights at the end of April for a business trip with a couple days sightseeing. At check-in, I specifically requested a quiet room away from the construction underway which I read about on TripAdvisor. I arrived to a 3rd floor room directly at the noisy expressway, with drilling and hammering next door. I immediately requested an upgrade to the business tower (seemed like that may have been the intention of the woman at Reception!)

Otherwise, no complaints. The location is terrific, as I explored Zamalek into wee hours feeling totally safe (solo guy). The garden café is a the best place in town for a relaxing drink or shisha. Hotel prices are expensive – as expected. I recommend walking to the corner and buying bottled water, soda, or beer for a fraction of the hotel prices. The fitness center and pool area facilities are excellent and included in the rate, so if you use them, be sure to include them in your decision.

My colleagues arrived later and wanted to stay at the 4 Seasons instead, so I spent 2 nights there. Definitely preferred the Marriott and would choose the Marriott for any future visits!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank MoDC
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We were on an independent overnight stay in Cairo as part of a cruise vacation. While many of he tour companies were recommeding hotels closer to the pyramids, we concluded we would want something clsoer to the Egyptian Museum, which we visited on our second day.
After a day of traffic and noise, the area of Zamelek and the Marriott were a welcome respite. Other reviewers have dexcribed the setting and the gardens and we concur that they are lovely. After our day at the pyramids, we were directed to our room on the 8th floor of the Zamelek tower, with a Nile view. We booked the least expensive room and noted it was my husband's 60th birthday. This and/or the fact that we are Marrott reward members, may be why we had the view and we were grateful. We also found a bouquet of roses on the desk in our room (no vase) which was a nice touch although we were only there one night and couldn't really enjoy them.
After viewing the gardens, we showered and headed out for a walk around the property and sat in the garden restaurant for drinks and stayed for dinner. It was a lovely evening, even with very slow service. We were not rushed and sat there for several hours.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. My biggest disappointment was mentioned by a previous poster, the shopping arcade. One reason we booked was the prospect of doing some souvenir shopping here rather than fight the vendors in a bazaar. There was nothing appealing avbout the few shops there.
Overall, this was a very good experience and our room was very clean and comfortable. We had no problems with food or water, and we used tap water to brush our teeth

1  Thank caroljax
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Not "magnificent" by any stretch,but very agreeable and "well done" overall. The setting is ok...the Nile on one side and the hotel complex on the other, and the architecture (except for the entry which is old Egyptian) is ok too.... predictable......traditional ....expected........something you've seen many times before .....it's really a vast complex which is actually a plus....an island/oasis in the chaos that is Cairo....it's VERY safe,secure and Western......vaguely Vegas.....the rooms (in the tower) are also predictable but quite comfortable (good beds,great air conditioning and adequate flat screen TV's)..........but the bathrooms are strictly meant for business stays (super shallow tubs,poor lighting,etc.) ..... the restaurants are convenient, plentiful and competent . The only thing I have to compare it to in Cairo is the Mena House and while that is authentic, this is much more alive .......the pool area is pulsing at night and it is a terrific place to end a day....to relax and watch and savour....don't get me wrong, this is still a Marriott, but it is solidly done.

1  Thank sheams54
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Stayed at the Cairo Marriott prior to and after an Insight Tour. This hotel is truly magnificent. Service is very professional and efficient, if a little slow at times. The room was large, very clean and up to date. The location (overlooking the Nile River) was wonderful. Amenities covered everything you could ask for. Meals were extemely good and well priced. Best thing - view from our balcony, Worst thing - tacky little hotel shopping concourse - also extreme security measures at this hotel (but obviously an necessary evil in this area of the world.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Willy070746
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband & I (22 & 23) flew over for the Memorial Day holiday from Germany. We were very wary on eating Egyptian food since I am pregnant but did not have any problems. We ate at the hotel restaraunts twice and also at some Nile Crusie dinner ships just down the road. All the food was great and I never got sick. I drank only bottled water, also using it to brush my teeth and no ice cubes!
The staff is very friendly, way more helpful than the typical American or especially European wait staff. They were great and even wear buttons that say "yes is the answer, what is the question". The breakfast buffet was good. The only bad thing I have to say which has been mentioned several times is.... DO NOT use the limousine service by the front doors. They tried to charge us 185LE to Nasr City, we went outside to the bell man(who was the greatest staff member ever BTW) and he got us a newer english speaking taxi for 50 LE. Use him for all your taxi connections. We have traveled all over the world and horseback riding to the pyramids was the best experience ever!

1  Thank trb0187