“Not great”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #5 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
“Not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband, 2 kids and I stayed for a week. He was there for work and therefore I was at the hotel all day with the kids. First we were charged a different rate from when the reservation was made. That was really irritating.

The palace is nice. But I was really disappointed in the room. It was small! The bathroom was soooo tiny, I couldn't believe it. If you kept the bathroom door open, it covers half the tub. That was an issue for me because I was trying to bathe my kids kneeling on the floor, the door is hitting me on one side and the toilet on the other side.

Housekeeping was terrible. I requested tissues and toilet paper and it took them FOREVER to show up. I had to keep calling the front desk three times before they showed up. Same with collecting my overflowing garbage. It filled up quickly due to diapers etc.

Whenever I tried to talk to the girl at the guest services station, she was chit chatting on the phone. After standing there waiting for 15 mins with two impatient kids, I left.

The executive lounge was good for breakfast and dinner. The woman manager was amazing. She said she could give us coffe in takeaway cups as we had our hands full with two crawling babies and we could hardly finish breakfast as they'd get impatient and start crying or whining. She even said we could take some yoghurt to our room for the kids. She was really sweet.

During our meals, six different waiters kept coming every other minute to ask if we needed something. Pretty annoying. I wonder if they wanted a tip? It was self serve buffet. The last two days there was a different manager on duty and looks like he decided not to stock the juice and yoghurt in the fridges. So everytime you wanted a drink you had to ask a waiter. That was an extremely cheap move.

One day I wanted lunch and went to one of the bakery in the long hallway by the japanese restaurant. I stood there with my double stroller at the counter for 15 minutes until someone finally acknowledged my presence. There were 5 people behind the counter.

Finally the 2nd last day, our room cards stopped working. Very frustrating as to why/how this happened and no answers from anyone.

After this trip and experiencing it, I have to say that people are lazy, so not interested in working or doing anything. Everyone is trying to make an extra dollar here and there. Maybe that is how the culture is, relaxed and no worries, nothing is urgent. I am not being racist because I am an american born arab.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank swatson1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

What a wonderful stay! I came here with my brother and parents. Once we stepped out of the car we were just like "wow". The intricate details and decor was absolutely gorgeous. The rooms were really nice and clean, we never used the pool but it looked really nice. There's tonnes of shopping within walking distance, lots of great local restaurants and sheesha places. But the food in the hotel was great too - a bit pricey as expected. Have dinner on the patio - really felt like we left home when we got here. The breakfast spread was awesome as well!

Only small complaint was we noticed about $90 extra on our bill when we checked out for wifi and phone calls. We didn't use either and told them, after getting a supervisor to review the situation they took it off the bill - but it just sucks having to deal with that.

The small shops in the hotel are fun too if you're unable to trek around for some trinkets.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xoxojho
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for a couple of nights.. it is very impressive from the start with its neoclassical architecture, its interior décor, furniture, other fittings in the main building gave a very royal feeling to the hotel. It was later we found out it was actually a Palace and newer hotel towers were built around it.. The promenade café with the Palace in as the backdrop together with the surroundings are brilliant settings.. great place to just sit and enjoy a sheesha or a drink..
The check was tedious.. took some to get sorted before were given our rooms..

The room are quite a distant from the check in.. the room was large but it surely needed a refurbishment.. The room quality did not live up the earlier image and standard of quality.. it came with a balcony and view of the Nile but the toilets, furniture, TV needs urgent refurbishing.. Who still uses a BOX TV set ? I could not believe my eyes.. Maybe it has been there since the early 1900s..

The breakfast was superb with a wide verity of fresh selections.. The hotel has cafes and saloons and shops on its compound however it has been priced perhaps for the Napoleons or Aristocrats.. Too expensive..

Check out was a nightmare.. we noted some mistakes on invoice and informed the staff however were given the explanation that was a systems peculiar way of computing bla bla bla.. after a recheck.. a revised invoice was printed without the errors.. no apologies whatsoever by the staff…

I may not go back to stay but will definitely return for a drink and enjoy the royal surroundings of the palace..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

We spent 8 nights at this Marriott and used it as a base for sightseeing. Wonderful experience. Great service and excellent safety precautions. The garden is dreamy and a great place to have a drink, a light meal or people watch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laraine B
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Ms. Laraine,

Thank you for sharing your great review. It will always be our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest. We are delighted that you enjoyed the tranquility and atmosphere of the promenade café.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Yasmine El Gammal
Marketing Communications Coordinator
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year and was very impressed with the service and the staff’s eye for details. They are so helpful and caring that it’s really touching. It is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I booked online and got a very good deal
The hotel is in a very good location, my room had a wonderful view over the Nile. You have plenty of things to do at the hotel. Small shops, an outstanding barber saloon; one of the best I have ever visited. You also have a very nice pool and a very good gym available for the guests. The room was clean, modern and with a great design. The Wi-Fi was very good when I was there; the bathrooms have a nice design. I found the breakfast excellent; there was a huge variety of food types and the service was superb. I also enjoyed a cold beer and a shisha (water pipe) in the garden one night; very relaxing and pleasant.
I look forward to return to this outstanding hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Per H
Bourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on previous occasions and have always been pleased with the hotel. It has a wide range of amenities and restaurants. Food is of a high quality at both breakfast and the large range of restaurants offered.

Service is a bit too enthusiastic, but not prompt, for example it can take time to give orders, or a long time for delivery of order. Rooms are clean and comfortable, but maybe in need of a refurb.

Like a previous guest, I too noticed bird poo on the cushions on the terrace, however, I saw the covers being changed this morning.

My issue with the hotel is that it is obviously struggling with occupancy during the recent troubles, I would not be surprised if there as many members of staff as guests. As a result, the hotel has fell foul to the wrong type of guest; there are obviously a large number of prostitutes and pimps working in the hotel. I had noticed such activity on my last visit, but it was very discreet and you almost expect it in any large city hotel. But now it is widespread and blatant. I was staying on business, so I was leaving the hotel early in the morning, at the same time as seeing such girls leave, plus have seen them being paraded around the hotel, in a catalogue style fashion.

I'm afraid that this will bring an end to my stays here and will now stay at the Fairmont Towers

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Aimee S
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks. Quick summary. 4 things I really liked: the staff and their attention to details. The staff are one of the main reasons it is so nice to stay at this hotel. The room was kept tidy and clean and the site itself is gorgeous (2 thumbs up for the gardeners - beautiful work). And the gym is super clean. It is small but there is everything. And finally the security is top notch. I always felt safe. 2 things I "less liked": the hotel is not environmental friendly. It does not follow the basics like not changing the towels everyday. Also, restaurants, beauty salons are really catered for the rich person traveling for business. Everything is so expensive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Canadagirl98
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Canadagirl98,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us , please rest assured that will work on your highlighted point and next time you visit us it will be changed.

Best Regards,