“Stunning Property, Excellent Service”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #6 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I just returned from Cairo, having stayed there for four nights. Most people are currently afraid of Cairo, and I saw the situation as an opportunity to explore the area while it wasn't buried neck deep with tourist, and it was a wise decision.

The hotel has some pretty serious security in place, it's almost like entering a military base overseas. The hotel is in great condition, and is a stunningly beautiful building. Quite possibly the most grandiose hotel I've stayed in to date. Many restaurants to choose from, and the best steaks I've ever eaten.

I had an Executive Suite, and it was very well maintained; with a great view of the Nile. Room service was excellent, and the room stayed impeccably clean. I chatted with the front desk and learned that since the riots, the hotels occupancy level is just 27% of capacity; I was told I was the only American staying there at that time. I can imagine that when the hotel was at 100% occupancy, it was a bustling scene, and perhaps that would effect the services (but that's pure speculation). I believe there's over 1000 rooms in all.

I hired a tour guide to drive me around on a three day tour, which was a good choice. I saw everything I wanted to see with the exception of the museum. Unfortunately Morsi's trial began that day and they decided to close it at the last minute over security concerns. I did however get to visit the pyramids without waiting in line as is customary.

I will say this, if and when I return to Cairo, I wouldn't even consider staying at another hotel. Your safety is at the top of the Hotels priority list, and that makes all the difference.

Room Tip: Stay in the Zamalek tower over the Nile.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank michaelc640
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Mr. Michael,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It will always be our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest.

Thanking you again for your valuable review and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future

There are newer reviews for Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Beautiful former palace that has been converted into a major hotel in a tranquil setting, The hotel has extensive gardens and a nice pool which in Cairo is quite hard to find. The extensive breakfast buffet offers customers everything they might want from middle eastern selections to European style offerings. If interested in coffee and sweets, the expansive outdoor patio offers a comfortable environment for people watching. Only drawback is the feel of a ghost town atmosphere, given significant reduction in tourism at present. While there is considerable attention paid to security, and that is good, the service could improve--staff could be more welcoming.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank maadiman

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are a historical property as you mentioned which was originally built by Khedive Ismail Pasha for the inauguration of the Suez Canal celebrations in 1869. The Palace housed European monarchs, including Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, and was also the venue for the first performance of Verdi’s Opera Aida.
We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at the Palace. It will always be our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel and wonderful gardens marred by poor service and lack of attention to detail. I asked for a non smoking room and was provided a room that smelt so heavily of tobacco that I had to sleep with the windows open. Breakfast room was dated and service poor very much buffet focused with no personal service. Outdoor area was excellent for sipping tea and service good. Reception staff were generally good with one exception. This lady was rude, discourteous and had a dismissive manner. Do not use hotel facilities such as hairdressers as they are exorbitantly priced compared to local providers. This review was based on 3 days.
I am due back later today for a further 5 days which I am not looking forward too but will provide a further review.

Room Tip: Ask for a river fronting room although I doubt you will be successful
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fordpm
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay in Cairo. From great comfortable rooms to indoor and outdoor dining. You can sit outside and relax while reading and drinking some coffee looking at the gardens. If you want more activity outside there is a pool hidden within this area. Very security conscience hotel. It's within walking distance to one of the best restaurants for traditional Egyptian food or a great pizza place which has been in the city much longer than the American chains you'll see around the city. Inexpensive cheap transportation is abundant to find outside the hotel to take you to all the sites.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Ashley M
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Ms. Ashley,

Thank you for sharing your great review. It will be always our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest. We hope to be able to welcome you again on a future visit to Cairo during which you can experience all our restaurants.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed in this structure my first three days during a tour of Egypt which took me to Abu Simbel...this was prior to all the disorders in Egypt. I love Egypt and I hope to be able to return there soon. What I like about Marriot is the excellence of the structure. In some parts it may look old ...so make sure you ask for a room that will meet your requirements when you book. Mine was very nice and spacious. The hotel is nice because it is really central and offers a variety of possiblities and a good level restaurant ... What I remember the most was the perfume of bread in the air and these women preparing the bread which they would serve in the restaurant. It is also very magical to stay in this hotel at sunset... I think the best colors of egypt reval that magic at that time and Marriot is a splendor ... The quality of services is good ... If you are in Cairo or Egypt I would recommend only high rated or international chains hotel, which are a guarantee... When in Cairo and eating at the Marriot I had not any issue with my health. I only took the precaution to drink mineral water from the bottle...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gwillis
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review. It will always be our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest. We hope to be able to welcome you again on a future visit to Cairo.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have had another great 4-Day Certified Organizational Supervisor Workshop Level IV at the Marriot Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. It was from 10/7/2013 To 10/10/2013 with Mantrac. The service was really great & as always they were extra hospitable. We constantly go over there and all the team rises up to a very high level of " Customer Delight." Thank you to our serving team & all those who manage them :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Noha K

Dear Ms. Noha,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay & that our team could meet your expectations during your workshop.

We appreciate your great feedback, thank you again for sharing your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the Palace.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Being a frequent traveller, I always need a place I can rely on when it comes to getting the right room, staying in an atmosphere of comfort, and getting a supreme service. Marriott Zamalek is definitely a reliable place that I highly recommend for both business and leisure activities. I had quite a lot of business meetings in the lobby and restaurant of Marriott, and after a long working day it is nice to know that there is nothing I have to worry about, and that everything I need will be there for me, often without even me having to ask for it. The service is top-notch, the rooms are excellent, and the hotel premises are so beautiful that it is a real enjoyment to even simply walk to the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Thomas M
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your great review. It will be always our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino as our valued and esteemed guest.

We hope to be able to welcome you again on a future visit to Cairo.