“Nice gardens, slow service”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Maidenhead
“Nice gardens, slow service”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

After 10 nights in the Marriott, I love the location in Zamalek by the Nile. I love the gardens and pool. But the food is average and the service slow. The rooms are also pretty expensive. One big advantage is the wifi is super fast, though like everything in the hotel, not cheap. There's a $12 daily charge or weekly or monthly rate. But if you only need it in the lobby you can get 3 hours free.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank DH14
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace for a more rewarding experience in the near future.

Best Regards,
Emy El Shourbagi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a Marriott hotel I really like, I don't like he one in Brussels or the one in Los Angeles, they are nothing special, but this Mariott in Zamalek/gezirah tics all the boxes, location, beauty, staf, food etc...

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank edlih1
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kind regards
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is an older hotel, but in very good condition with a beautiful garden. It is well situated on Zamalek, easy walking distance to many restaurants and other amenities. On a clear day you can see one of the pyramids from upper story rooms. The Egyptian museum is 10 minutes away. Buffet breakfast is excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. There are several restaurants on site (including Japanese), bakery/cafe, pub. The gym and pool are delightful with top quality equipment in the gym.

Room Tip: Take an upper floor room - facing the gardens. Quieter and better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank blacmikOttawa_Canada
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your great review. It will be always our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino as our valued and esteemed guest.

We hope to be able to welcome you again on a future visit to Cairo and experience all our restaurants.

Best Regards
Riverbank, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We originally reserved 3 nights via Marriott 800 number. However, because of some issues with the departure flights from SFO, we arrived one day late. So I called Marriott 800 number on that day and re-booked only for 2 nights. We got a call from Marriott hotel to make sure everything is Ok. I was really impressed. I really felt like a King :)

Upon arrival, Asst.Manager greeted me with enthusiasm. He is really genuine. He asked how was my trip and waiting for me. Really impressed. He gave me a room with Nile view and was really fantastic. Room size is adequate and bed is very comfortable. Room is very clean and hotel itself looked fantastic. This hotel felt very safe and it is nearby busy shopping area. I went out and put in a local SIM card on my phone and had a nice dinner nearby restaurant.

Restaurant on the hotel was really nice with plenty of options for breakfast. My kids really enjoyed the "Omlet" station where the cook flipped the omlets multiple times in front of them. Variety of options and no charges for my younger daughter. For my son, 6 years, they charged like 80 EGP which comes around 11 US$ which is not bad. 2 Adult breakfast is complimentary because of my travel voucher and we really enjoyed the breakfast.
Everything went fine so far. Now the bad part. Upon check out, I ended with this unfortunate customer service guy. Checked the bill and said we need to pay 480 EGP for the breakfast. I said we have 2 complimentary adult breakfast that comes along the voucher and he said only the hotel stay is covered and not the breakfast. I said check the voucher, he went inside, checked the file and come back and said I'm correct and I have to pay 160 EGP for my kids which I paid. Then he said, I should have mentioned that I have 2 kids when I book the room and I said, what difference does it makes because they don't get any separate beds. This is the first time when I stay in a Marriott hotel that I have to inform about my little ones. Very disappointed with the customer service attitude. Felt very uncomfortable.
Hopefully, Management will fix this or communicate this with future customers, so that any misunderstanding can be avoided. Still felt like bad taste left in my mouth.
Other than that, it is really excellent and we are treated well and enjoyed well. Nile view from the room is fantastic.

Room Tip: Not every room has Nile View but if you can get a room with Nile view from the top floor, you will N...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Balaji B
Dear Guest,

I would like to first and foremost apologize for the recent experience that you had with us at the Cairo Marriott Hotel

. The hotel management is greatly concerned about your feedback. We will address the issues with the relevant departments, and would still very much welcome a discussion with your good self if you prefer. Please contact me on emy.elshourbagi@marriott.com

Thanking you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer Care
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend in mid-June. It's a very interesting time to go - it felt like we had the hotel (and certainly the museum and pyramids) to ourselves, although I do know there are a lot of issues about travelling at the time of writing. Most of the few guests seemed to be locals attending weddings, or businessmen.
We stayed in a high floor in the Zamalek Tower. I read somewhere that the rooms have been refurbished but I can't believe ours had been - it could have done with a facelift. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just a little tired. We overlooked the Nile, but beware as the road is very busy and the boats on the river in front of the hotel are loud nightclubs. The room was well insulated but you could still hear the music on the Friday and Saturday nights.
So the rooms are not the highlight but the main areas are lovely, especially the outside areas by the restaurant and pool, using its old palace origins to great effect. The food and breakfast was very good, the service excellent and we had a great time. If the room had been better I'd have given it the full 5 rating.

Room Tip: It's a bit tricky - the Nile views are good but the nightclub boats can make a bit of noise. If...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aneil B
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance. We are continuously striving to update our products to enhance our customer experience. Kindly rest assured that we take all our customer feedback of utmost importance.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Customer Care
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've been here a week. 5th trip to Egypt over 20 years. I did take the time to read some of the reviews during my stay. Thus, the title of my review. Leave tomorrow and coming back in a few days. Off to the desert oasis to avoid the Cairo noise. Now to the hotel. Lets start with the overly positive. Incredible garden. Marriott linen and pillows which makes it very comfortable. Average internet, but consistently there. Room service food is so so. The staff is very helpful, thoughtful and try to help. The bakery (lst floor) is a great place to visit. I've gone so many times that we're all now friends.

Location is quite good. Getting around Cairo is a bust no matter where you stay. Safe area to walk around, interesting shops and stores within an easy walk. Prices for in hotel laundry service is over the top. Did not check out the pool or gym facilities, although I'm told they have a really good gym; recently updated.

Restaurants are good, especially the ability to hang out in the garden. Room choice depends on preference. Do get a higher up room though, as it dampens the street noise and provides a better degree of privacy. I am not sure, but suspect, that the further you are away from the internet server the less reliable the internet. I'm two doors down from the servers (and ice machine) so the internet works well. I do have a broad band cable in the room and even with the direct intervention of the hotel IT guy (who came) it was a bust.

Enjoy the hotel.

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank kira13
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the palace in the near future

Best Regards
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Entrance is beautiful former Palace building, you can enjoy the hospitality during your entire stay. If it is a business trip then be aware of heavy traffic and ad at least half an hour to your estimations :-) Garden is beautiful and many alternatives to choose from, pool is also in the garden but quiet shallow for adults. Need better food in breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Serkan A
Dear Mr. Serkan,

We take our customer feedback of utmost importance. Please rest assured that all your comments are being considered to ensure your utmost satisfaction on your future visits.

I do hope we will have a near future opportunity to welcome you back to Cairo Marriott Hotel and Omar El Khayyam Casino.

Thanking you