“Not great service”

Ranked #7 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
New York City, New York
“Not great service”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

As you can imagine the hotel is not very full with tourists at this time. With that in mind they should pro. respond to a guests request and paid for room location of a Nile View. But alas no - even as a premier elite and the Nile view surcharge, and a quiet hotel a Nile view was not in the cards. Shame compounded by the fact I had specifically used the Marriott "Virtual Concierge" to ask for it separately. It turns out it was my email to the guest services at a later date that even prompted the fact that they had charged my extra as well. As a final nod to service it took several requests to even get the points forwarded to my Marriott account.
Any way the hotel is unusual in that it was a palace that was converted to a hotel and then built up by using two towers. It is a fave of the local dignitaries apparently - as friends who live in Cairo have mentioned.
Rooms were fine and bathrooms were pretty basic. But for one night it worked okay.

Room Tip: Pay, Request, Request again, Remind them at check in, and follow up with guest services for a Nile v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was quite a short stay but the hotel itself is a piece of Art, the rooms were upgraded but not yet the TV set... I did not spend much time at the Hotel but it is a Hotel that I would return to. High floor rooms with Nile and swimming pool are the best view ever.

Room Tip: Select Nile view/swimming pool rooms at high floor... it is quite breathtaking view to enjoy late ni...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We value your feedback and will share it with the concerned department. I do hope we will have a near future opportunity to welcome you back to the palace.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Hotel and the decor around the property is quite interesting and traditional. This gives the hotel a very nice feel and the size of everything makes it seem so grand. The property is not too big, so whichever room and tower you are staying in, you can get around and out of the hotel quite easily. But it can get confusing at there are two lobby areas.
The hotel rooms are somewhat standard in appearance and what's in them, but were a good size for us.

Good assortment at breakfast and the meals at the hotel bars and restaurants were fantastic! As would be expected for a big chain hotel, prices for food and drinks do not come cheap. Be wary that when you order drink or food around the pool, it can take a long time to arrive (sometimes close to an hour!).

The casino was alright - nothing too fancy.
There is not too much around outside of the hotel to go and see, so you would probably need to get a taxi. Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank the_ange23
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and we will share it with the concerned department.
I do hope we will have a near future opportunity to welcome you back to Cairo Marriott Hotel and Omar El Khayyam Casino.

Thanking you
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I must say I don't share the enthusiasm of the most part of the comments I read here. At the end of October 2012 I stayed at Marriott for six nights. The room was charged at about 250USD per night. Breakfast was not included and charged at 20USD extra per person.
So, considering the Egyptian cost of living, you would expect a high-end hotelerie. And if you're a serious traveller you know how much a personalized service and care of details make the price. Marriott instead is made of fake luxurious interiors, standard high level rooms, and uncaring service. The personell is unable to deal with problems out of the daily routine. Any extra is charged at unreasonable prices. Wi-Fi is available only in the lobby for a very limited period of time and after completing an annoying procedure. The general atmosphere is mall like and you feel like being the usual walking wallet.
My definitive impression is that Marriott is more a product of marketing than a real deal.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the nile in the gezira tower
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paolo C
brussels
Reviewed April 19, 2013

What is nice about this hotel that i have visited several times is the old building ( the palace of Imperatrice Eugénie) and the garden with its outside café . When the weather is fine , you can spend hours outside enjoying food and drinks or jumping into the swimming pool . The rooms are totally uninteresting . The restaurants are just ok without more and wherever you have your meal , most of the wines that you order are cooked . They are not well preserved. The quality in this hotel has not improved recently to say the least .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your comments and emphasize our respect for our guests comments and we are working hard to improve the level of service provided.

I strongly would like to discuss with you the difficulties that you had with us, please contact me at emy.elshourbagi @ marriott.com

We thank you for your valuable comments and we hope we can welcome you again in Cairo Marriott Hotel.

Best Reagrds
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott on the island of Zamalek in Cairo for work, and was quite pleased. The staff were both professional and friendly and the room comfortable. The room also had a view of the Nile, which was great as it was my first trip to Egypt. I did not sleep well my first night because one of my neighbors kept banging his door -- I called the front desk and that was resolved, however. The business center was also adequate if not totally high tech.
The breakfast buffet was varied and very good. A couple of days I didn't have time to sit down for breakfast and one of the waiters was kind enough to bring me a coffee to go and some fruit.
The location cannot be beat - the area is great to walk around in and has good restaurants.
The former royal palace is a little faded around the edges, which isn't terrible. One mild criticism is that some of the hotel restaurants and bar felt a bit generic (I mean, is Cairo really crying out for a Roy's Country Pub?) but that is largely an issue of personal taste.
One annoyance was that the elevators require you to insert your room card key to get to your floor. This became a problem when I tried to drop off something at a colleague's room in a different part of the hotel and couldn't. This is not an insurmountable problem, however, and I guess on balance it is good that the hotel has strict security procedures in place.
I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel and am considering staying in the Marriott when I bring my parents on a trip to Egypt. It is expensive, however, and I'll have to think carefully if I want to pay these sorts of corporate rates on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Also, try and get a view of the river. And make sure to ask for non-smoking...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that your stay was a pleasant one. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly. We are always trying to present a diversity of culinary options to our guests, ranging from oriental to country kitchen and from Japanese to Italian and that’s why you will find Roy’s and Torii, Tuscany and Egyptian Nights among our gourmet destinations.
The safety and security of our guests is our number one priority and that’s why we are firm about our policies and regulations to access floors and rooms that might have annoyed you during your stay. I hope you appreciated that it was all for a good cause.

Thank you again for the feedback and kind regards.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here last year. I am an experienced traveler, but was nervous here, especially after the Arab Spring and the negative publicity they have with how they treat women, but I must say it was a terrific experience.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because the country is so volatile at the moment. in fact, I will not be going back for a while, but seeing the pyramids and ancient ruins was amazing. I'm not a very religious person, but seeing the centuries old manuscripts of the bible was incredible.

The hotel was very nice and the staff were kind and extremely helpful. I ate in the hotel restaurant several times and the food was excellent. I couldn't get enough of the curry. The rooms were spacious and very clean. this is a high class international hotel and little more expensive than I like, but it was worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends