“Nice and grand, if slightly fading - wonderful staff”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
London, United Kingdom
“Nice and grand, if slightly fading - wonderful staff”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott on the island of Zamalek in Cairo for work, and was quite pleased. The staff were both professional and friendly and the room comfortable. The room also had a view of the Nile, which was great as it was my first trip to Egypt. I did not sleep well my first night because one of my neighbors kept banging his door -- I called the front desk and that was resolved, however. The business center was also adequate if not totally high tech.
The breakfast buffet was varied and very good. A couple of days I didn't have time to sit down for breakfast and one of the waiters was kind enough to bring me a coffee to go and some fruit.
The location cannot be beat - the area is great to walk around in and has good restaurants.
The former royal palace is a little faded around the edges, which isn't terrible. One mild criticism is that some of the hotel restaurants and bar felt a bit generic (I mean, is Cairo really crying out for a Roy's Country Pub?) but that is largely an issue of personal taste.
One annoyance was that the elevators require you to insert your room card key to get to your floor. This became a problem when I tried to drop off something at a colleague's room in a different part of the hotel and couldn't. This is not an insurmountable problem, however, and I guess on balance it is good that the hotel has strict security procedures in place.
I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel and am considering staying in the Marriott when I bring my parents on a trip to Egypt. It is expensive, however, and I'll have to think carefully if I want to pay these sorts of corporate rates on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Also, try and get a view of the river. And make sure to ask for non-smoking...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that your stay was a pleasant one. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly. We are always trying to present a diversity of culinary options to our guests, ranging from oriental to country kitchen and from Japanese to Italian and that’s why you will find Roy’s and Torii, Tuscany and Egyptian Nights among our gourmet destinations.
The safety and security of our guests is our number one priority and that’s why we are firm about our policies and regulations to access floors and rooms that might have annoyed you during your stay. I hope you appreciated that it was all for a good cause.

Thank you again for the feedback and kind regards.

Emy El Shourbagi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here last year. I am an experienced traveler, but was nervous here, especially after the Arab Spring and the negative publicity they have with how they treat women, but I must say it was a terrific experience.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because the country is so volatile at the moment. in fact, I will not be going back for a while, but seeing the pyramids and ancient ruins was amazing. I'm not a very religious person, but seeing the centuries old manuscripts of the bible was incredible.

The hotel was very nice and the staff were kind and extremely helpful. I ate in the hotel restaurant several times and the food was excellent. I couldn't get enough of the curry. The rooms were spacious and very clean. this is a high class international hotel and little more expensive than I like, but it was worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here twice. Once in a room near the swimming pool (in a separate building in between the two towers of the hotel) and on the 2nd occasion, in a room in one of the two towers. This is a very big hotel with many rooms. It took a while to get used to the various paths and walkways within the hotel buildings and grounds. The swimming pool is good. Breakfast in the dining room is okay.

Within a short walking distance from the hotel, we were able to buy bottled water and also have dinner at 2 different places (one serves local cuisine and the other - pizza).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Ok it is an excellent hotel. Hard to fault. I have now stayed there twice and have been treated like a near criminal when leaving.

My crime... I paid for the room the night before leaving so that I could leave early in the morning without having to queue to pay. Both times I handed my key card in in the morning, gave my room number and said I had paid. Both times I got questioned by multiple people. Even when I thought all was clear I was then questioned again outside, whilst waiting for my taxi. This time they even made the taxi pull over to check again. I was waiting for the taxi for 10 mins, so it is not like I was trying to make a run for it!

This really was very humiliating and I have had the same experience both times!

My advice to hotel... have a system where you can pay the night before and have someone available to hand your key card to without having to queue up again with everyone else who is waiting to pay. Stop treating people like criminals!

Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights. The hotel is very close to very good restaurants and shopping. The lounge is impressive and so is the swimming pool. Roome well kept but the bathroom require an update and looks tired. The casino is small but well equipped.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We value your feedback and have shared it with the respective departments. I do hope we will have a near future opportunity to welcome you back for a complete rewarding Cairo Marriott experience.

N. Ireland
Reviewed April 13, 2013

What was a former palace overlooking the river has been converted into a first class hotel. Stayed for 3 nights on business. Majority of staff were attentive and happy to help. Pool area and grounds were well maintained and looked the part. Ate in the Egyptian restaurant beside the pool - great food - would highly recommend. Hotel itself was bedecked in gold finish and grandeur. Would highly recommend. On a minor downside the bathroom in the room was uncharacteristically shabbily finished in places in comparison to the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank GCCo.Derry
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino., we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback and have shared it with the respective departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I spent 2 night in this hotel in zamalek area everything was normal despite the political uncertainty it's safe there room was clean comfortable we stayed at 18th floor where we enjoyed the executive lounge (room1810) garden coffee shop is a landmark in this splendid hotel

Room Tip: Choose garden view for quietness
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.