“Was very nice”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here last year. I am an experienced traveler, but was nervous here, especially after the Arab Spring and the negative publicity they have with how they treat women, but I must say it was a terrific experience.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because the country is so volatile at the moment. in fact, I will not be going back for a while, but seeing the pyramids and ancient ruins was amazing. I'm not a very religious person, but seeing the centuries old manuscripts of the bible was incredible.

The hotel was very nice and the staff were kind and extremely helpful. I ate in the hotel restaurant several times and the food was excellent. I couldn't get enough of the curry. The rooms were spacious and very clean. this is a high class international hotel and little more expensive than I like, but it was worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here twice. Once in a room near the swimming pool (in a separate building in between the two towers of the hotel) and on the 2nd occasion, in a room in one of the two towers. This is a very big hotel with many rooms. It took a while to get used to the various paths and walkways within the hotel buildings and grounds. The swimming pool is good. Breakfast in the dining room is okay.

Within a short walking distance from the hotel, we were able to buy bottled water and also have dinner at 2 different places (one serves local cuisine and the other - pizza).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Ok it is an excellent hotel. Hard to fault. I have now stayed there twice and have been treated like a near criminal when leaving.

My crime... I paid for the room the night before leaving so that I could leave early in the morning without having to queue to pay. Both times I handed my key card in in the morning, gave my room number and said I had paid. Both times I got questioned by multiple people. Even when I thought all was clear I was then questioned again outside, whilst waiting for my taxi. This time they even made the taxi pull over to check again. I was waiting for the taxi for 10 mins, so it is not like I was trying to make a run for it!

This really was very humiliating and I have had the same experience both times!

My advice to hotel... have a system where you can pay the night before and have someone available to hand your key card to without having to queue up again with everyone else who is waiting to pay. Stop treating people like criminals!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights. The hotel is very close to very good restaurants and shopping. The lounge is impressive and so is the swimming pool. Roome well kept but the bathroom require an update and looks tired. The casino is small but well equipped.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We value your feedback and have shared it with the respective departments. I do hope we will have a near future opportunity to welcome you back for a complete rewarding Cairo Marriott experience.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

What was a former palace overlooking the river has been converted into a first class hotel. Stayed for 3 nights on business. Majority of staff were attentive and happy to help. Pool area and grounds were well maintained and looked the part. Ate in the Egyptian restaurant beside the pool - great food - would highly recommend. Hotel itself was bedecked in gold finish and grandeur. Would highly recommend. On a minor downside the bathroom in the room was uncharacteristically shabbily finished in places in comparison to the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Thank GCCo.Derry

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino., we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback and have shared it with the respective departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I spent 2 night in this hotel in zamalek area everything was normal despite the political uncertainty it's safe there room was clean comfortable we stayed at 18th floor where we enjoyed the executive lounge (room1810) garden coffee shop is a landmark in this splendid hotel

Room Tip: Choose garden view for quietness

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We cashed in a lot of Marriott Rewards points for a couple of nights and are so glad we did. The very comforting security seems possibly over the top, but maybe it's necessary for such a landmark. The core is indeed a palace - public areas inside and out are spectacular and extremely well cared for. Our room was on a high floor, overlooking the Nile, with a balcony. The staff at reception and at the concierge desk could not have been more helpful or friendly. They arranged perfect transportation for us out to the pyramids and to the train station for the sleeper to Luxor. Then we left a couple of things in the room, and the hotel worked with us to make secure arrangements for a pick up. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RayC32

Dear guest,

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. The hotel as you mentioned, is a historical property which was originally built by Khedive Ismail Pasha for the inauguration of the Suez Canal celebrations in 1869. The Palace housed European monarchs, including Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, and was also the venue for the first performance of Verdi’s Opera Aida.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences and we hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.