“Not great.”

Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
chorley
“Not great.”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel thinks its good, but its not. Its overpriced and outdated. Its near to the airport but actually you have to work out that to catch the shuttle bus you have to go to a desk which is labelled with a completely different hotel name - sofitel. Staying here for business we had previously high expectations because it is 4 star. On arriving the lobby was great, but then on getting to the rooms it was clear from the old fashioned door mechanism it wasn't going to be a good experience. I only stayed one night but that was enough.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank laTRIPMONSTER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santta Clara, California
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The service was minimal. We had prepaid for 2 twin bedded rooms with view of garden or pool. What we received were two 1 double bedded rooms with a sofa bed. When we checked in...we asked to confirm that we had two beds in each room...we were told by the front desk that we did. After a long walk through a very dirty and dingy corridor, we got to our rooms. We were too tired to go back downstairs and complain as we had to leave for the airport at 2:00 a.m. The bed sheets in our sons' room potato chips remnants in the sheets. The best thing about the hotel is the free airport shuttle. We used it from the airport to the hotel and from hotel to the airport. It runs every thirty minutes 24 hours a day.

1 Thank ideyemam

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We didn't expect much as we just needed a room for a flight lay-over, so our expectations were not that high. When we entered the lobby there was a hub of activity with open bars, restaurants and a wedding in oneof the first rooms. It was definitely not peaceful; it had a feel of a Vegas hotel - mixing everything together.

Good:
-The hotel grounds and pool were attractive and clean.
- There was a safe in the room

Ugly:
- The room was the old, outdated and very unappealing. They shoved a sofa-bed (that was old and ugly and needed to be thrown out) beside the bed and there was barely any room to walk. The cabinets and drawers were 30 years old and looked like they belonged in an old cabin. The pictures on the wall were askew to their frames - it was like some horror show.
- Although the bathrooms were decent, the carpets were disgusting.
- Internet $15 us/hour
- The bed mattress was very old and hard, but frankly quite comfortable. Something bit me, I presume bed bugs.
- No water - can't drink out of tap, but no water supplied.
- Worst buffet breakfast in all of the hotels we visited in Egypt.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hosta_La_Vista
Rotterdam
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Poor service but decent rooms... stay for no more than 1 night

1 Thank cross99
Ely Cambridgeshire
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at this hotel because a connecting flight was delayed.

We decided to take a tour of Cairo and asked the hotel if they did any tours. We were directed to the tour desk in the hotel and agreed a tour of the pyramids, Egyptian museum and Mosques. What we got was something quite different! Our taxi driver, who drove like a mad man, smoking and using his mobile first took us to a "Papyrus Museum" at Memphis, or rather it was a papyrus shop where a degree of hard-sell ensued. Next we were driven to a camel stables where again we were pressured into a camel ride to the pyramids. We negotiated 800le each into 400le total for the four of us. In fairness the camel ride was fun, but I don't appreciate being forced into doing it. Next was the "Lotus Museum" or rather perfume shop where again we were given the hard-sell.
The driver then tried to take us to a bazaar that his friend had. At this point I got angry and said no. He reluctantly took us to the Egyptian Museum. On arrival at the museum I dismissed him and we made our own way from there on. There was no way we could have done the mosques as well. The tour agenda was purely to make the tourist buy from as many places as possible, with little concern of what the tourist wanted. Absolutely diabolical. And yes, I blame the hotel because they are clearly condoning this set-up from their hotel. I use Novotel in Europe all the time for leisure and business - that is something I may now rethink.

Central Arizona, Arizona
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Great location for an overnight stay for a flight out but the hotel was definitely not 4 star quality. The room was too small and not very clean. It was more like staying at a Motel 6. The breakfast was ok. There is no way to know there is a shuttle to pick you up so we took the airport bus that dropped us off at terminal 1 across from the hotel and we walked. We did take the shuttle to the airport in the morning which was great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I booked this hotel because I was arriving alone late on the night before my travel group and there was an easy and free shuttle to and from the airport. The reviews were mixed. When I arrived my reception was good and I was escorted to my room by the Bell Captain (he was wearing a tag). He brought my luggage into my room, showed me how to use the TV, then after I tipped him he wanted me to climb on the bed so he could rub my feet and temples. I doubt if the Novatel staff rubs the feet and temples of their male clients on the bed on arrival...very scary. I slept with the light on and was afraid to go downstairs until time to leave the next morning. The shuttle drivers were very nice though. I would definitely not stay there again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo