“Dated hotel , but handy for the airport”

Novotel Cairo Airport
Ranked #30 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel as we missed our flight and had an early morning departure .

The rooms accommodates max 3 people . On the Novotel website , there is an offer for a 50% discount for a second room for your children .The website wasn't working properly , so we asked reception if they can honour this deal for us for 2 adults and 3 children if we booked direct ( this was after we arrived at the hotel without a booking ).They said no , had to be booked online , so had to pay normal price for both rooms.

Our rooms were very dated and small , with a double and a sofa ( which didn't open up , you just took the cushions off and put a blanket and pillow . My 8 year old only just fitted on ).
we didn't have a remote for our tv or enough towels , and after trying to contact reception by phone for 40 mins , I gave up and went down to them . I eventually got a remote , but the towels never arrived .

We were told that breakfast starts at 5am , but food was only put out as we were getting our 5.30am shuttle.

The only good points about this hotel is its closeness to the airport , the free transfer bus and the comfortable double bed .

The most annoying thing was that every time I tried to call reception for anything , they never picked up , and they were not very friendly apart from one lady.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Hassan M, General Manager at Novotel Cairo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Valuable Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo Airport. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

the hotel assigned hot line 888 for your all enquiries during your stay

We appreciate your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Hassan Moustafa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was a bit tentative about booking this hotel. The reviews scared me a bit & it's ranked #81 in Cairo. Honestly, I can't believe these other reviewers stayed at this hotel as it way exceeded expectations.

Upon arrival, great service. We had a problem with the sink in our room which was promptly fixed within an hour. The airport has a free shuttle to the airport terminals with an amazingly friendly driver (forgot his name) and is on airport grounds. Watch out for scammers at the airport when you land. Go to the info desk & have them call the hotel for you to get the shuttle. You'll be swarmed with taxi drivers & guides as soon as you get through customs...just go straight for the desk.

We stayed here 3 nights because of an early flight on departure day & I didn't want to deal with Cairo traffic on the day we left...btw, Cairo traffic is absolutely INSANE!!! Do not rent a car!!

There are 2 ways to get into the city from the hotel: cab (about 100 pounds) or locals bus from the nearby bus station (5 pounds and an awesome value though not as clean). If you do the locals bus, just get on the free airport shuttle & tell him to drop you at the airport bus station (2 minute drive from hotel). Allow an hour or so to get from the bus station to downtown (near Egyptian museum) and 45 minutes by cab from the hotel.

The hotel is quite clean, breakfast is great, and they have a great workout facility. The pool is unheated & cold but I'm sure it warms up in the summer. They also have a tour desk that tries to sell tours to the city and sites if you want to book them here (we did our own thing). The LaPassage hotel is right next door & also looked nice, as well...I think I remember checking out this hotel as well and they were slightly more $. Another advantage to staying at one of the airport hotels is that it is quiet with no honking horns and the crazy 5AM 'calls to prayer' that woke us up in other hotels around the Middle East.

Overall, Cairo is safe - don't believe the hype on the media - though it's very congested, polluted, and noisy. Enjoy your time in this amazing city, and use this hotel as a refuge from the noise each day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronmichaels

Dear Valuable Guest

Thank you for taking the share your experience for the travelers community about the safety and security in Cairo.
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo Airport.
Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights from honeymoon there bur they didn't give any extra welcoming even though that this was mentioned in online booking info, generally the room ws fine, although the bathroon required some maintenence but nothing in the core.
The breakfast was really nice amd included very good variety
The customer service was horrible, here it goes:
1- I sent a friend with my ID and bags to do the check in as I were heading to hotel directly from wedding, he did the check in but when I arrived the reception told me that they didn't recieve my check in or baggage, later they discovered their mistake and sent the bags to the room and didn't apologize for the mistake
2- one day shortly after we entered the room, the cleaning guy came after us without knocking :-D yes as I'm saying, he apologizes and said he was in it few minutes ago and thought we are still out

Finally, the hotel don't provide parking for residence, there is an empty piece of land in the premisses which is managed by second party who rent it fir parking.

Bottom line, keep it as your last option

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Hassan M, General Manager at Novotel Cairo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I don't think anyone in their right mind would describe Cairo airport as a tranquil, hassle-free location in which to hang around for a flight. And if you happen to be tired then going into town to find a place to plonk your bags, shower and rest your head for a few hours may not seem an attractive option.

You can see the Novotel from the airport. Getting there on foot is less simple than it looks as the inbetween is made for vehicles not people, and as soon I set off there seemed to be more buildings and twists and turns than I could see from the terminal building. But I managed to get myself and my bag there within ten minutes or so and negotiate a not unreasonable short stay booking.

The room was comfortable and had a large bathtub which was great news for my tired feet. Back downstairs, I generally avoid hotel buffets but was quite impressed with this one. The food was good; and tasted fresh and well-cooked even towards the end of the evening. The flat rate of 160LE was more than acceptable.

The hotel provides a free half-hourly shuttle to the terminal which saves negotiating the twists and turns (and traffic) again on foot.

My only complaints were the wifi, which repeatedly asked me to sign in again (Reception suggested I made a free phone call to Manila in case there was a problem with my phone. I didn't and there wasn't - I use it all over Egypt with an Egyptian chip). And the other thing was the lack of power points to charge things (the only one I could find was by unplugging the kettle). But for a place in a moment of need at the airport these were minor niggles. I would probably have no hesitation in going to the Novotel at Cairo Airport again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Valuable Guest

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo Airport.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was doing work in the airport so this hotel is difficult to beat for convenience, apart from the Meridien which is probably 40% more expensive on average. Rooms are quiet and reasonably comfortable and for the price this was good.

My biggest complaint was with the food. I ate in the hotel three times and did't once have a really good meal and one was so poor I only ate half of it. I think they need to set their sights much higher on this front. I was also disappointed that the gym, which is quite small but nicely equipped and a pleasant place, didn't normally open until about 8:30am. At an airport hotel where people come and go at all hours, often suffering from jet lag, you need this to be open close to 24 hours, but certainly early enough for people to go and use it first thing in the morning before breakfast. In common with many hotels in Egypt it is showing signs of much renovation being needed as it is tired and unloved.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here overnight on two occasions: Mar 29 and Apr 13, 2014, and had exceptional experience both times. We were given a free upgrade from a standard to superior room on both occasions. The room was large, modern, clean and very quiet despite being only a 10 min drive from airport. The AC was excellent on Mar 29, but we could only get the fan (not AC) to work on Apr 13, so it was a bit warm for sleeping that night. Two outdoor pools with an exercise room in a beautiful centre courtyard. Excellent buffet breakfast. Overall good value. By arranging in advance, a hotel rep met us as we entered the airport building, and helped us speed through the visa purchase and customs process. On Apr 13, our bags did not arrive (they somehow had been booked through to our final destination), and the hotel rep (Mr Ahmed Abdul Razek) was incredibly helpful in getting the airline staff to locate our bags in their holding area, and fetch them out for us. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who has to do an overnight in Cairo waiting for their next flight onward.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room if you can get it. All rooms seem to be quiet.