“NIGHTMARE”

Ranked #29 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Burlington, Canada
“NIGHTMARE”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Flying Alitalia from Toronto via Rome to Cairo, I spent one night at this airport hotel (Nov 18) on a transit basis, to catch a flight the next day to Larnaca, my final destination. Arriving at Cairo airport after a strenuous journey, I was shocked that my suitcase didn't arrive! First issue: I expected to find a shuttle bus service from airport to hotel as stated on their website. The Cairo airport helpdesk said "you must call the hotel to send the shuttle", but "we don't have their new phone numbers"!! To cut a long story short, I finally made it to the hotel, around 9pm local time. While checking in I explained to the receptionist on duty my predicament, that I hadn't slept for 48 hours and if they could be so kindd to contact the Alitalia office on my behalf to check the status of my suitcase. The response was, "you can call them from your room"!

The "room" was shocking; very small, dark, and no ventilation. I switched on the "air conditioning" unit and it sounded like a runaway train, temperaure and fan controls did not work. When I finallly figured out how to switch on the TV, the picture was so blurred I decided to switch it off. Eventually I crashed, and early next morning I hit the shower/bathtub; while showering I realized that the bathtub was clogged and water was filling up fast so I cut it short. After an unimpressive buffet breakfast I finally left this hellhole vowing never to return!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hassan M, General Manager at Novotel Cairo Airport, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo Airport. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
please be informed that our shuttle bus service is free of charge upon guest request
and goes from the hotel to the airport every 30 mins on 24h
our new superior rooms will be operated by second week of Jan 2014

Hassan Moustafa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel for buisness people airport pick up was arranged before arrival through resrvation, room is nice with large space and swimming pool wiew. Staff are freindly and helpfull food is nice and dinner bufet is excellent.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel before and after a Contiki Tour around Egypt. I was grateful that we were able to check in early as we were exhausted from an overnight flight from London. The pool was relaxing and it was a nice start to our holiday, however the restaurants on site for lunch took almost 2 hours to bring us our food even though we were the only ones there, and they even got our order wrong!!!! Then when we were checking out they tried to charge us again for the food even though we had already paid when we left lunch. The outside restaurant was really good however for dinner and we all had nice food. The wifi in the lobby did not work for our entire stay which was disappointing as the computers are always taken. Was fine for a transit stay.

Room Tip: Some of our tour group stayed on level 2 and could access the free wifi in their rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here for a 12 hour stop-over. It has been 70USD per night, so I guess I cannot complain too much. But service and overall appearance of the building are quite poor. No wifi in the rooms is a real minus these days. But the worst thing is that here at tripadvisor the GM comments on the most fake positive review ever while leaving all the critical comments unanswered. This really shows how poor this place is managed. In my eyes, a shame for an international hotel group. Nevertheless, if you need to stay at the airport and don't want to spend more for the Meridien or Fairmont, stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Convenient close to airport perfect shuttle service i told him about my late arrival and the shuttle was waiting for us! Free breakfast is a nice plus. No wifi in room however in lobby (but slow) friendly staff

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel stuff are friendly and the hotel is good but 2 main problems, fly in the restaurants , to much noise from house keeping, and security at the entrance door are not friendly at all!!
We were coming the first day and then one of the security men tries to make a show on us by saying I am the security manager, I am higher than anyone here, I am even higher than the general manager himself. He looks at us as if we are scum bags or something. Very horrible treatment from the security stuff and specially this person who said that he is the security manager. Also he said I am a police officer or something like that, well if he is a police officer, why is he standing at the entrance door for the hotel?? I am sure that the general manager will read this article and I am telling him, make sure that the security stuff will know how to treat guests please. Also you have to inform the house keeping stuff to keep more quite during cleaning time, they always talk with each other with a very loud voice.
All in all, the hotel has a good front desk stuff and good quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The current rate for a single room is currently just shy of 200 euros. The Novotel falls short in quality and service. First impressions on entering the spacious reception area are good. There's a bar area with sofa seating and a choice of three restaurants to choose from. Reception staff were polite and efficient. But it's clear there's a distinct lack of maintenance in the guest rooms. There's a flower in a vase that seems to have been dead for a while. Room service have been in twice already and failed to remove it. I changed my desk chair twice for fear of it falling apart beneath me. It seems, rather than put their room rates to good use and replace them, they've got someone desperately gluing them back together. See photos. My sink wouldn't empty after shaving and I had to fiddle about with the plumbing to get rid of the water. There's also no toilet brushes. Service is likewise disappointing. On one occasion my colleague, was asked if he wanted chips or rice. He asked for rice and was brought chips and rice. The following day he ordered chips in a different restaurant and was brought rice. I waited for my main one evening for approximately 30 minutes, I was expecting to have the food served at any moment when the waiter came over to say what I'd asked for wasn't available. 'Boneless Chicken' was served with bones. In another restaurant, I waited 40 minutes for a slice of carrot cake. It wasn't busy and I began to wonder if they were baking it from scratch rather than simply cutting a slice. On the positive side, portion sizes were generous and the food was good once served. The beds are comfortable and there's also two pools and newly equipped gym. It's also in a good location, close to both the airport and Sun City shopping mall. At half the price, I'd give it 3 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business