“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Newcastle, Australia
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The location, staff and amenities were first class. I was made to feel right at home. The view from my balcony was beautiful. Cairo is a fascinating city and this hotel made for a perfect stay. The only point I would make is that the shower was a little small but it was more than made up by the spacious room.

Room Tip: Nile room is the way to go
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Leon S
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Leonsokulsky,

Thank you very much ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during September.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you again at your home away from home in the near future.

Marc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We had such a wonderful experience at the Semiramis. Our room was wonderful, was clean and comfortable. Our veiw was breathtaking, all the way down the Nile in both directions, we loved waking up and having our morning coffee there and sitting there after a hard day sightseeing around Cairo. All the staff were so friendly and professional i would totally recommend to anyone looking for a great hotel in Cairo, with unbeatable views

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and Nile view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear frequenttraveller674,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading that you and your partner enjoyed your stay at our hotel during September.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Semiramis InterContinental Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived with my family to spend a weekend at the renowned luxurious Semiramis. Alas! The beautiful location turnedout to be a spell. Not because of the chaos inside and aroun the hotel due to violent crowds demonstrating in front of the U,S embassy but because few of the staff of the hotel believed that the glamorous site alone doesn't guarantee a satisfied guest. The guys around the poolwere unfriendly to say the least about the reluctance to help and the expression on the face despite the tips. The waiters at the Coffee Corniche had the same stressful attitude and lack of prompt response.
To be honest the front-desk young lady was impressively fast and cordial at check-on which the guy at check-out kept up to . Also the waiters at both the Italian and Far Eastern restaurants and the food at all the outlets of the hotel we tried were superb. I admit that the demonstrations smoke bombs and terrifying atmosphere that took the hotel by storm that day was out of anybody's hand but knowing that the irritant smoke and burning petrol bottles thrown at the windows of the lower public are of the hotel prevented us all day from using the pool or restaurants all the afternoon and made getting out of the hotel unsafe, tells how unlucky every guest was that day a prisoner of his room!
The real disappointment for me was the absence of any sign that the Managers were concerned about our Feelings. Not a single apology or attempt to esse our boredom and frustration. A Fruit basket could have helped or some in house entertainment, creative amends have to be a remedy for exceptional mishaps

• Stayed September 2012
Dear AhmedAgaty,

Thank you for posting your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. I can really understand what you had been through during the American embassy demonstrations (I work and live in premises) and I wish to apologize for what you encountered during those tough days.

No words can omit the experience nor the memories which will be carried out all through. However my only excuse is that the hotel was in no danger due to its security system applied; all my hotel colleagues did their best to protect people and place. The lack of smile and positive attitude of some colleagues (from specific restaurants), as you mentioned, were mainly due to the frightening experience of the tear gas and Molotov cocktails and worries about their loved ones and own safety. I can guarantee you that this does not represent the usual level of service and attention given to our dear guests...

I wish to get the opportunity to welcome you back at the Semiramis InterContinental in Cairo in the near future, where no effort will be spared to make your experience an enjoyable one.

Marc Lambert
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was there a night before m flight back home. It was totally a worth-staying experience for a short stay. I was lucky to reserve the room at a discounted price with complimentary breakfast and late check out (priority club offers). The condition of the hotel was superb as well as the room. I ordered room service and the food was totally up to my taste and in a large portion. If I have another chance, definitely will opt for this hotel!

Room Tip: Always check for any offers at priority club.com Opt for rooms at higher levels to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear hirukadira,

Thank you very much for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading through your post that you and friends enjoyed your one night stay at our hotel during July.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends again to the Semiramis InterContinental Hotel in the near future.

Hilaliye,lebanon
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We (a family of seven!) arrived on the 4th of september,check-in was slow until the assistant manager came and apologise ,afterwards he came with us and we got our 3 rooms so quick!,Great rooms,nile views,waooo!!

After a day of sightseeing in cairo or at the pyramids .... it was a bless to take a shower and sit and relax on the balcony and savouring the nile view with the boats and feluccas going and coming with songs and lights!!!

The breakfast buffet was awsome!!,The mango juice deliciouus!The chef doing the omelett was so caring and professional ,also the waiter who served us was always welcoming us with jokes and smiles!

While my husband and my children enjoyed the swimming pool I took an appointment at the health spa for an aroma massage and facial scrub,I will never forget Fatma for her nice words reconforting me after she knew that a tragedy had happened to me.Thank you Fatma!

We had to leave on the 7th of september to Aswan,Check-out went smoothly and perfectly.Thank you Semiramis for making our stay full of nice memories.

Thank you also for the Gezira travel agency for the best services they offered during the whole stay in Cairo-Aswan -Louxor!!

Ezzeddine family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilyEzzeddine
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear FamilyEzzeddine,

‘Ya Halla Feek’ Thank you very much for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading through your post that you and family members enjoyed the stay at our hotel during September. I will make sure that your kind words are passed to N&D crew and Fatma.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your family again to the Semiramis InterContinental Hotel in the near future.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have been to Cairo for work and I must say that the location of this hotel is very good! In the city center, overlooking the Nile on one side and on the other Tahrir Square. All taxi drivers know the hotel and this helps a lot in a city as Cairo. In this hotel the food is good, I tried 3 different restaurants and the food was great! The classic style of the rooms should be refreshed a little, without technology and without wi-fi you can not live longer, the bathrooms are really old! The air conditioning in the rooms and in the meeting rooms was terrible! Or was very cold or you should switch off! In general, however, I can say that the staff was very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Nile side!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lalla1969
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Lalla1969,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during August.

Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at the Semiramis for 6 weeks for a business trip. I liked the location (on the Nile, near Tahrir Square, easy to get a cab anytime day or night, most cab drivers knew where it was), though it does mean noise at all hours - with curtains and earplugs it didn't bother me at all.

The area isn't particularly pedestrian friendly - heavy traffic, sidewalks in poor repair, few streetlights in the blocks around the hotel - but if you are okay braving that, you can get to the shops (mostly aimed at locals) and restaurants (mostly fast food or touristy) off Tahrir Square/Talaat Harb in 5 minutes, or it's a quick cab ride across the bridge to ex-pat heavy Zamalek. It's also a short, safe walk to Taboula, in Garden City, one of Cairo's best Lebanese restaurants, or a branch of La Poire cafe and bakery.

Overall, pros:
- Staff were consistently friendly, polite and helpful. The breakfast staff knew who I was within days, and often would bring me my juice, tea and water as soon as I arrived. The housekeeping staff went out of their way to ensure I was comfortable. Mohamed in the Ambassador Lounge was interesting and respectful when I was there by myself, and made sure I was comfortable.
- The fresh juices were delicious, and the food at the restaurants was generally high quality.
- I was given a free upgrade to a Nile view room - lovely view of Cairo tower and Opera, particularly at sunset.
- Elegant lobby decor, live music was a nice touch, spotlessly clean public spaces, all public facilities in good condition.
- Complimentary fruit basket twice a week.

Overall, cons:
- Room was a bit tired - rips in the upholstery in the chair in my room, rust stains from the grab bar in the shower, faded cushions on the balcony furniture, and so dusty that the one time I sat out there I had to wash my clothes. As well, the minibar fridge had an uneven bottom that prevented me from using half of it, and the in-room safe malfunctioned twice while I was at the hotel.
- There was a problem printing my bill, which took 5 days to resolve. On the day I was checking out, I waited over an hour for it, meaning I didn't have time to actually review the bill before heading to the airport (which is why I had been asking for a copy for 5 days, and was always told I would receive that day).
- No wifi in the rooms, a serious drawback (an ethernet cable was in the room, but not of use for those traveling with a tablet).

Overall, it's okay for a five star hotel - I wouldn't recommend for a long stay, and the hotel could definitely use some upgrades (start with wifi!), but not a bad choice for a shorter-term business traveler in Cairo.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Canadagrrl
Dear Canadagrrl,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com. It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during July.