“Have been travelling for 2 years the best best hotel experience we have had!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Grand Royal

Hotel Grand Royal
Ranked #39 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
“Have been travelling for 2 years the best best hotel experience we have had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

First and foremost we experienced the most outstanding and exceptional services throughout our 7 day stay in Cairo.

From the moment we arrived the atmosphere was warm, friendly and welcoming. shortly after being shown to our room we returned to the lounge area where we were greeted by hotel staff and guest alike. Whilst enjoying some Egyption hospitality we discussed our itinerary with the staff and booked what turned out to be and amazing few days of tours with fantastic professional guides (special mention to our driver Muhammad who totally went above and beyond). We had been warned against booking tours through hotels as we had been told prices would be steep, HOWEVER we found not only where the tours fantastic but competavily priced.

Our room was spotless, spacious and comfortable with fantastic air conditioning. The house keeping staff did an efficient and impeccable job. Breakfast was fresh, nutricous and filling (perfect preparation for a long hot day seeing the sights).

On top this the hotel where amazing with helping us during the Egyptair strikes. They wokes us early to inform us of the strikes, made phone calls in Arabic on our behalf and held a room for us in case we did not fly (good thing too as we stayed a few extra nights)

We cannot recommend this hotel enough and fully intend to stay again. Thank you to all the hotel staff for making our trip to Cairo a trip of a lifetime! special thanks to Ibrahim, Muhammad, Madeline, Muhammad, Hussain and Amir and housekeeping keeping crew!

Mark and Jess

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Bothe337

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Grand Royal is an excellent place if you are looking for clean, comfortable rooms at a very reasonnable price. Staff was always very helpful and the wifi access is excellent. I never took advantage of the breakfast as I like to sleep in. They can help you book your tours and will advise you on where to find what you are looking for. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Grand Royal is an awesome hotel with amazing staff! The hotel has a simple elegance, is located in the heart of Cairo (5 minutes to Egypt museum!) and has a staff that is incredibly helpful; I spoke no Arabic when I went to Egypt and the front desk staff would help me to get where I needed to go as well as translate things for me. The hotel offers private day tours which I did, totally worth the money! If you decided to do the day tours, ask for Mina, he is the best driver and super friendly! My trip was so great because I decided to stay at this hotel, it really is the best hotel out of all the millions of hotels in Cairo!

1 Thank jdrew275
Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My stay was during the first presidential election after the revolution. The staff is very helpful and more than welcoming to help you with your requests, be it touristic or about contemporary Egyot. The hotel is very central but offers a great retreat from Cairo's busy streets. Rooms are spacious, offer modern ACs and comfortable beds. The housekeeping service is very good and the hotel is overall very clean. The management is very committed to making your stay as enjoyable as possible with an eye for the detail (e.g. fresh flowers). Overall a great budget alternative to the more expensive international chains. In downtown you will find many options to dine out, egyptian or international. Having spent quite some time in Egypt I can only recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Peter460
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I arrived alone in Cairo for a few days - was immediately welcomed by the hotel staff on the front desk, personally welcomed by the owner who I shared a drink with. On the first ten minutes of my arrival everything was sorted out even my taxi back to the airport which was a weight of my mind. The staff advised me on where exactly was safe to go as I was very interested to go and see the protests in Tahrir Square and their advice was great!

Breakfast was simple yet very filling which I enjoyed throughly.

the room was very big, clean, excellent air con and everything was clean. I was very happy with this service and I will definitely return when the time comes for me to go back to Cairo.

Once again, very very GOOD value for money and excellent service in my eyes.

1 Thank bilal l
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We booked a suite in the other hotel, Royal. When we planned to book it (by email) they told us that they opened a new hotel, Grand Royal, and offered as the opportunity to stay there. We didn't want to, but wanted to stay in the pedestrian area of the first hotel. Surprisingly, when we arrived in Cairo the taxi stopped at Grand Royal... They wanted to give us an “upgrade” to this hotel, the management told us. The fact that we didn't want to change hotels before, was ignored. They told us that the other hotel was being renovated and therefore noisy. And what about an upgrade: from suite to suite? Where is that an upgrade?

The Grand Royal is an average hotel. It is new, recently opened, but with lot of things that should have been better before they opened.

Pro’s:
- New hotel, freshly refurbished and decorated.
- The suite (room 25) was big, with a separate bathroom, high ceilings, fresh flowers in the room.
- Good and silent AC-system.
- In the lively neighbourhood of Talaat Harb Street, with lots of shops and sweet baklava at Groppi on the other side of the street. Don’t forget your earplugs to sleep at night!
- Very friendly management.

Cons:
- No curtains or roll-down shutters. When we complained, they painted the windows as a temporarily solution…
- No hooks to hang the towels, no tissue holder, no bathroom shelf, etc...
- A mini bath-tub (also a pro when you don’t expect a bath).
- A door between our and the next room. Handy when you need two rooms as a family, but otherwise they should only rent out one of the two room. A new couple arrived late at night in the other room. We could hear them talk, take a shower, sneeze, etc., although they weren’t very loud.
- No chair(s) and/or table.
- Bad WIFI signal in the room.
- Poor breakfast: 2 buns, jam, cheese spread, oily fried egg, nescafe or tea, jam, yoghurt.
- We ordered breakfast on our last day at 7 a.m.. Not a problem, they said…. From 7.05 a.m. on the receptionist made excuses for the delay every 5 minutes. No breakfast untill 7.25 a.m., 5 minutes before our airport taxi arrived.
- 3 elevators of which 1 was not working every day and another didn’t work properly. It should stop every 2 floors, but stopped between them instead, in front of a concrete wall… 6 floors is a lot to walk, but safer.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Esther M
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Last 2 days of my holiday was back in Cairo, was grateful to find this hotel as I stayed at 2 bad hotels in Cairo. Found it on internet search and booked it. Was surprised to see it was for real! Sometimes photos of hotels on internet were taken long time ago, and you find shabby dirty hotel. Not this one. Newly opened hotel, great ambience once you get to 6th floor. Renovated for this new hotel.

Very clean which was unusual for Egypt. Hotel staff well trained with high service standards. Happy to book my taxis, order food for me, even fresh flowers in my room every day!
Big plus was it was minutes walk to Egyptian Museum, so save on taxi fare.
Price-wise, I only paid about US$5 more for this hotel, than previous one which was 2* and yucky! Great value. Definitely recommend this and come back again.

Room Tip: Hotel is near a busy square, some night-time noise is normal. Most of time, I was reading, listening...