“Just as we remembered! A splendid trattoria in Cairo!”

Tia Maria Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #843 of 4,152 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Cairo, Egypt
“Just as we remembered! A splendid trattoria in Cairo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

I was pleased to learn over a month ago that Tia Maria had reappeared after a disastrous attempt to change their theme and menu. Today, I suggested to my spouse that we drive to my barber of long standing on Zamalek to get an overdue haircut and then proceed to Jeddah Street in Mohandaseen for dinner.

It had been several years since we had been there and we were positively salivating by the time that we arrived. We were warmly greeted but I looked around and saw no guests. Admittedly the restaurant is "cozy;" it seats 32 diners. And it was early for Egyptian diners but this restaurant is always occupied by as many ex-pats as it is Egyptian. But no guests? I was beginning to have my doubts. But we sat down and we were immediately smothered in love. Same old menu that we adored before. Same great service - engaged, friendly and bent on pleasing. And we were saddened to hear that they were suffering from the drop in tourism in Egypt due to the revolution and its hangover.

My spouse chose her usual - sea bass in lemon sauce and I chose the filet mignon. She started with a caprese salad and I chose the tomato soup. Both servings were generous and tasty. The entrees were perfect - vegetables prepared better than I had any place in Cairo and just as good as Europe (well, better than the UK) and the US in their better establishments.

We couldn't resist dessert because their "fudge" cake - loaded with hot chocolate surrounded by a brownie bundt cake with ice cream in the hollowed out top - is prepared from scratch and well worth the 20 minute wait. I risked a spoonful and it was to die for.

We bade the manager, Moheb, a farewell, and promised him we would try to drum up some business for him. So if you are hungry, drive to the Shooting Club on Mohie El Din Abo El Ezz and turn on Jeddah Street. Look for a parking spot because the street has been turned into a one way street - the wrong way if you ask me, but that's the town planners for you. And then prepare yourself for a delightful repast in good company.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Douglas A

Cairo, Egypt
“Nice to see this restaurant is back in business!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

I lived in Mohandaseen for 10 years and we LOVED this restaurant. Then they made the mistake of trying a new look and menu. Not! Now it's back and well worth the effort of seeking it out. It's on a side street close to the Shooting Club on Mohie Eldin Abou El Ezz (not on Nadi Sid). Go! Go!

1 Thank Douglas A
cairo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food quality and Decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

I went there with some friends: We ordered Pizza, Appetizer platter, Fillet, and cheese balls.
All food was excellent as well as the ambiance and the atmosphere.
There is also the opportunity of fully reserving the restaurant for a private party (birthday, etc) and customize the music / food.
Worth to try!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Dina46
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Totally brilliant evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I went with my husband to this restaurant and had a really brilliant time. We both ordered their interesting Fruitti de Mare dish and it came served in a shell. Very impressive and very delicious. Next holiday to Cairo we will definately return here. Made to feel very welcome. Loved it

• Visited October 2011