All reviews third floor street level entrance great hotel bed was comfortable walking distance elevator museum ac airport
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hadn't planned to stay here but our original booking with another hotel went pear-shaped and we ended up here - thank goodness! The ground floor entrance is a bit off-putting when you first arrive but you quickly become accustomed to the streets of Cairo. However, upstairs in the Golden Hotel, everything is absolutely spotless (the owner-manager Sophie quipped that she's hated by her cleaners! Sophie is Swiss but speaks several languages which was great for us as we don't! We felt completely safe here, despite the widely-reported agitation in Tahrir Square (in fact, we ended up in the Square by accident - we'd gone into a bakery - and turned the wrong way when we came out). We crossed the square several times after that and at no time felt unsafe - the Egyptians have no quarrel with tourists. We were only here for a couple of days to do the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum but would have happily stayed longer. Thank you Sophie.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JoyEssex_England
goldenhotelegypt, Owner at Golden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thanks for this nice words girls (...) it was a real plesur to have you as our guests and I hope that you had a good stay in Luxor too. You are always welcome at the Golden Hotel Egypt and we hope to see you soon again. Take care Sophia

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Golden Hotel is central with spotless rooms, nice interior, charming staff and a most helpful and kind owner, Sophia. Add Wi-Fi, flatscreen, fridge, aircon, blue tiles in the bathroom and a very good dinner, and I do not know what more to ask. Maybe a spacious rooftop area, and for sure Golden Hotel has that too.

I visited with my parents and (kind of) girlfriend and we were all very pleased, even in the troubled times Cairo are going through. Sophia would always have the proper advice of what to do and what not to do (not much, actually...). After two weeks, she was like family.

I am looking forward to coming back. Feel free to read more about my recommendation of Golden Hotel on my blog, where you will find more about Cairo:

Room Tip: If you plan on using the Wi-Fi, ask for a room closest to the routers.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PaulOlaiOlssen
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Spent about two weeks here on business.

This is by far the best value for money I have ever had.

Rooms:
Clean and immaculate, very comfy mattress, a fridge, Internet and television, and air-conditioning also included.
Staff:
The hotel manager, Sofia was exceptional and helped me every step of the way, from helping me work out the best routes when traveling around the city, to providing me an english speaking driver to get me around, to help me find a tailor who could resize my oversized suit trousers!

Location
At the heart of Cairo, it's within a walking distance to the Cairo museum, as well as major restaurants and shops.
Delicious Breakfast; For dinner, it's adjacent to pizza place, numerous Egyptian restaurants that serve local cuisine, a convenience store was also close by.

A big thank you to all the staff - You were all unbelievably helpful - i'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank milleniatraveltip
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights based on the reviews of other fellow members. Sure, compared to other average hotels this one is better. Quality of room in general is better , although the room itself is small and the bathroom has no door but for traveling solo that's not a problem. Breakfast is ok also. I think for the price you pay this hotel is better than its counterparts but all that is forgotten when the manager of the hotel treats you with an attitude

My brother came to visit me for a few hours since he's an expert in Cairo. He ended up staying the night with me on the bed. In the morning when we woke up right when we opened the door of the room the manager came and asked for $15 extra because of my brother's stay! Not only that, but she said it with a frowning face! I gave her $100 smiling and asked her if that would do? And she said: yes. Then she said: "Now that you paid, it is fine"! I don't mind at all paying extra money for my brother's stay, $15 is nothing but I felt that the way this was handled should have been better. She could have waited until we came to the reception area which is a few steps away from the room. She could have smiled at least when she talked to us! It made me feel like I committed a grave sin by having my brother staying with me! He actually asked them for a mattress during the night so it was not like we were trying to deceive them! But that's the price you pay for going on a budget I guess when you decide to stay at an average hotel! This experience for overshadowed all good things about this hotel unfortunately and I'll never stay again in this hotel. I'll pay little bit extra and stay in a better hotel next time. I don't like being treated this way. Ask for money, it's your right but ask in a nice way. Smile when you talk to your clients. These are basic rules for any business, let alone a hotel for God's sake!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Isam R
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was extremely impressed with the service and care which was provided by the staff and owner of the hotel. Rooms were spacious and neat, with fully functional A/C, Fridge and TV. You have Wi-Fi access throughout the hotel and is extremely fast. Breakfast is excellent and staff very helpful and friendly. I would say that i got the best out of my money staying in this hotel. The owner was very helpful to us, when we had some VISA issues and went beyond her call of duty to help us.

The location of the hotel could not be better as its in the heart of cairo and all the attractions are within reasonable distance.

- Deepak and Mansi

Room Tip: Rooms at the backside as front side can be a bit noisy, due to hussle and bussle of high street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple