“Really Really Lovely Place!”
Review of Golden Hotel

Golden Hotel
Ranked #48 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Nairobi, Kenya
“Really Really Lovely Place!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Spent about two weeks here on business.

This is by far the best value for money I have ever had.

Rooms:
Clean and immaculate, very comfy mattress, a fridge, Internet and television, and air-conditioning also included.
Staff:
The hotel manager, Sofia was exceptional and helped me every step of the way, from helping me work out the best routes when traveling around the city, to providing me an english speaking driver to get me around, to help me find a tailor who could resize my oversized suit trousers!

Location
At the heart of Cairo, it's within a walking distance to the Cairo museum, as well as major restaurants and shops.
Delicious Breakfast; For dinner, it's adjacent to pizza place, numerous Egyptian restaurants that serve local cuisine, a convenience store was also close by.

A big thank you to all the staff - You were all unbelievably helpful - i'll definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank milleniatraveltip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, TX
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights based on the reviews of other fellow members. Sure, compared to other average hotels this one is better. Quality of room in general is better , although the room itself is small and the bathroom has no door but for traveling solo that's not a problem. Breakfast is ok also. I think for the price you pay this hotel is better than its counterparts but all that is forgotten when the manager of the hotel treats you with an attitude

My brother came to visit me for a few hours since he's an expert in Cairo. He ended up staying the night with me on the bed. In the morning when we woke up right when we opened the door of the room the manager came and asked for $15 extra because of my brother's stay! Not only that, but she said it with a frowning face! I gave her $100 smiling and asked her if that would do? And she said: yes. Then she said: "Now that you paid, it is fine"! I don't mind at all paying extra money for my brother's stay, $15 is nothing but I felt that the way this was handled should have been better. She could have waited until we came to the reception area which is a few steps away from the room. She could have smiled at least when she talked to us! It made me feel like I committed a grave sin by having my brother staying with me! He actually asked them for a mattress during the night so it was not like we were trying to deceive them! But that's the price you pay for going on a budget I guess when you decide to stay at an average hotel! This experience for overshadowed all good things about this hotel unfortunately and I'll never stay again in this hotel. I'll pay little bit extra and stay in a better hotel next time. I don't like being treated this way. Ask for money, it's your right but ask in a nice way. Smile when you talk to your clients. These are basic rules for any business, let alone a hotel for God's sake!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Isam R
london
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was extremely impressed with the service and care which was provided by the staff and owner of the hotel. Rooms were spacious and neat, with fully functional A/C, Fridge and TV. You have Wi-Fi access throughout the hotel and is extremely fast. Breakfast is excellent and staff very helpful and friendly. I would say that i got the best out of my money staying in this hotel. The owner was very helpful to us, when we had some VISA issues and went beyond her call of duty to help us.

The location of the hotel could not be better as its in the heart of cairo and all the attractions are within reasonable distance.

- Deepak and Mansi

Room Tip: Rooms at the backside as front side can be a bit noisy, due to hussle and bussle of high street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deepakuniyal
England
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Finding the Golden Hotel was a real stroke of luck, it is a real gem right in the centre of downtown Cairo and an instant favourite. A little oasis of calm amidst the hubris and a real home from home.

Reasons to stay here:

The rooms are pleasantly style, spacious, well equipped, well decorated and scrupulously clean;
The owner, Sophia, is lovely; very warm, welcoming and helpful;
The location is superb for getting to all central locations and major attractions;
The breakfast are very good;
Value for money is excellent.

It would be very hard to find a better value choice, and for me more than good enough not to look elsewhere; i will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank deSigley
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was extremely impressed with the Golden Hotel. We paid $100 for 3 rooms in this hotel, and all three were of great standard. The rooms are modern, they have A/C, satellite TV, extremely comfortable beds and the bathroom and shower is fantastic. The rooms all have access to Wi-Fi, which was important as we were studying in Cairo at the time. My only fault is that my room didn't have anywhere to hang my clothes, but they have utilised the space they have available very well! Friendly staff, elevator up to the hotel, and a better quality of sleep make this place great value for money in Cairo.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends