All reviews egyptian museum wifi connection talaat harb clean rooms downtown cairo hostel furniture nile taxis
Reviewed January 3, 2016 via mobile

We booked this small hotel by their website hostels.com. As I was there before I wanted a room with a balcony to the front and extra called the hotel to ask for this room. The Frontdesk told me that the Standard Room I had to book was the one with balcony. And I even wrote my request again by email in the booking. Upon arrival the manager told us that the room was without balcony and we would have to pay about 10 Euro's more for a room with balcony, which we refused, as the information I got by telephone from the hotel, was that I booked the one with balcony.
The manager treated us in a very arrogant way as we wanted to discuss that and he did not want to apologise for the mistake his staff had made.
At the end we left the hotel because the manager even did not want us to wait upstairs for a phone call which I was expecting to search for another hotel. But we found...
I cannot recommend this hotel because of the way the manager treated us. As I said, it seems he lost the friendly mood Egyptians normally have, during his stay in Norway.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled on business
1  Thank MariaHannover
Reviewed October 23, 2015 via mobile

Booked this place before arriving in Cairo and although semi-decent, there are better places you can find even on a budget!
Initially, the taxi driver was completely lost finding this place and was difficult to navigate to as is down a side street with very few signs!
Pros: working wifi, AC worked, breakfast was okay, location close to the Tahrir square and the Egyptian museum
Cons: staff were less than enthusiastic and unhelpful with regards to hospitality and giving any recommendations, the bathroom was essentially in the room and simply cordoned off with glass wall (quite the view when sharing with friends!) and the bed was uncomfortable.

Would not recommend.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ana J
Reviewed July 22, 2015

The manager of the hotel Said was truly the best part about this place. He answered questions via email quickly and thoroughly prior to my trip, and was nothing but kind, accommodating, and helpful once I arrived. The place itself is in a fairly good spot in downtown Cairo. The room is not more than a bed and a bathroom, although seemed clean and the air conditioning worked well! The wifi was pretty awful however. As a solo female traveler I felt safe, which was important to me. If all you need is a place to crash at night then this place is fine and was the cheapest deal I found. The staff, especially Said, are all extremely pleasant and willing and eager to help and chat, which was a huge plus.

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2015

For what it is and the cheap price I think this is one of the better options among the hostels downtown. Aircondition was working, but could have been better. The terrace was nice. The lady who was cleaning the rooms was nice and friendly. I made clear I was in Cairo for work and knew the city well and they did not hassle me about tours or anything like that.

Stayed: June 2015
Reviewed July 8, 2015

If you are a traveler who really wants to experience Cairo and culture and puts people and feelings at first place, then this is the place for you. I have travelled a lot but this is the first place where I felt at home. Hostel Royal is a warm and charming bed and breakfast place in the heart of the city. Staff is friendly and relaxed and will do everything to help and provide you with warm and honest welcome and service. All you have to do is be open hearted, put a smile on your face, enjoy this beautiful town and amazing culture and people that will win over your heart if you let them. Tip: if you enjoy shisha or in desperate need of good soup and nice atmosphere, ask owner to show you the road to Ney.

Room Tip: just ask Said for what you need, he will give you best recommendation
  • Stayed: June 2015, traveled with friends