“Hotel is not a safe place to stay”

Cairo City Center Hotel
Ranked #110 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was booked into the cairo city centre hotel for 7 nights but only stayed for 2. They refused to give me my money back for the 5 nights I didnt stay.
The room was disgustingly dirty which I probably would have put up with as I wasnt spending much time there.
The big problem came on the third day when after spending some time in the hotel lounge I went upstairs to get changed. Two men (one of which said he was the owner) barged into my room saying I had a man inside. (My Egyptian boyfriend was not inside, he was downstairs and was due to meet me in reception).
I am well aware of the rules of no men in a room without a marriage certificate.
Even though I explained that my room was empty and my boyfriend downstairs they pushed past me and searched my whole room. Even in the cupboards. I was extremely shocked and upset by having two men in my room and was really scared as to what they might have done to me. Obviously I could not stay there after this incident and had to leave despite them refusing to give me a refund for the 5 nights I had not stayed. I did not feel safe and was worried they might use the same excuse to come back into my room again.
My boyfriend threatened to tell the police but they didnt care.
This hotel is not safe for people and their attitude is disgusing.
I was totally stunned by how I was treated by these people. I have never felt like that in any hotel I have stayed in in Cairo before. Beware of this place and its awful staff.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank NaomiBusk

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Do not be put off by the building, which is a bit forbidding from the lobby. The hotel is well kept and clean, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Many of the rooms have balconies with very lovely views of the city. Close to the Egyptian Museum and the Townhouse gallery. The breakfast was poor when I was there, but there are bakeries nearby and I got a discount on the room as I bought my own breakfast. A nice place to stay with accommodating staff. I always felt safe and welcome there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jay J
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Entrance and stairway/elevator didn't look promising (old & dirty), but the hotel itself, on the 6th floor, was adequately clean. We, family of 4, got two joined double rooms with private bathroom but be aware there are also bathrooms in the corridor which have to be shared. Our room(s) also included A/C. Do not expect a daily cleaning and daily fresh towels; we stayed for 4 nights and bought a cloth to sweep our bathroom floor. Only 1 sheet, 1 towel and 1 pillowcase per person was provided, leaving 1 (of 2) -dirty- pillows and the duvets uncovered. Beds are excellent but put in earplugs, because the noisy Cairo traffic with constant use of horns continues 24/7. Also bring your own toilet paper. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included, but simple. Location is perfect, view (partly on the Nile) is nice. Very reasonable 'hostel price' for an adequate hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christina P
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I think Cairo City Center is one of the best options to stay downtown in Cairo, it's so near to everything, plus personel there is really nice and the service is pretty good.
Must say the price you pay for it is more than fare for what you get!!!! And definitely i will recomend it to anyone travelling to Cairo!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Veronica T
Reviewed April 7, 2012

when me and my guest arrived. We looked at the Hotel, it look like an old apartment building converted into a hotel[ not as pictured}. We had to walk SIX flights of stairs where the check-in desk was located. The staff was VERY RUDE to me and my guest. First, the put us on separate floors and told me that is my problem[ rude]. it was 10 pm, i get to my room and there are flying things in the room. Maybe because the balcony doors would not look, so i was scared and could not sleep. i needed to use the bathroom , i had to call the staff th open the bathroom door which took 20 or 30 minutes to open.I went to watch television, the tv dont work. the cable is broken.At the end of our bad stay. they tried to get money from my guest, i was on my flight back to usa. This is not a 3 star hotel, maybe a i star[ im being nice] I will never recommend this hotel to any one. This websites need to really see this hotel before they post this very wrong pictures of this hotel. BE AWARE!!!!!

Room Tip: rooms are not as pictured
5  Thank candi_o_12
Reviewed March 12, 2012

It makes me sad to see the negative reviews. The staff was more then helpful after a mix-up on our booking. The rooms are clean and open and there is a nice area for breakfast and a great balcony. The location is great as it is just a block away from the Egyptian Museum. The only caution I have is not to mistake this hotel for Cairo City Hotel. Absolutely cannot beat the price for this lovely gem!

2  Thank Gera B
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This review is for the Cairo City Center Hotel (NOT the Cairo Center Hotel--another hotel in the city)...The hotel itself is average. The rooms are clean and simple. It has a shower and comfy bed, which is all you need from a hotel in Egypt as there is so much to do, you won't spend much time in your room. The amazing part of this hotel is the staff, from restaurant and tour recommendations to making sure you feel at home...After a long day touring the pyramids they sent someone to pick up food so that I didn't have to go out. I don't think I've ever experienced such hospitality from hotel staff!! The location is great! A block or so walk to the museum and close to Tahrir Square. The street noise can be distracting but not to the point that you can't get to sleep. Great experience!