“really good for Cairo”

Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo
Ranked #6 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

one must take in to account that star ratings a alittle obscured when it comes to Cairo (don't get me wrong, it a beautiful city..just different from what im used to), Personally, i wouldn't go below five star especially in this city.So, when getting ready to visit Cairo, my expectations were not ridiculously high regarding the accommodation. but then, i was also just moving on from my stay at the Ritz Carlton Istanbul, so nothing was really going to look great in comparison anyway:)

All in all, the kempinski is not a bad choice for cairo,along with the Four Seasons.

due to the current drop in tourism in egypt (unecessary i say) accommodation shouldnt be too expensive and the competition is definately on.

first impressions generally make or break the deal for me. and our first impression was not great. theres no personal touch, no sense of pride and luxury. we arrived really a bit early (around 10am i think) so we didnt expect to have our suite ready and waiting, though we did hope because occupancy is so low currently.

no such luck, we were told to wait in a particular lounge, by hand gesture and a few words of direction). the attendant couldn't be bothered to even come around the desk and ascourt us around the corner to the lounge. its quite a small lobby are anyway. we found the lounge which proved to be a snack and coffee lounge (chocolate lounge) and settled into one of the couches, tired after much travel. after about half an hour of nobody acknowledging our presence, my husband went back to reception to get a wifi password for us so that we could pass time online. we were just too tired right then to venture out onto the dust busy adventure filled streets of Cairo.

he was told that someone would come to us with the password.

an other 40min later or so of being intermitently stared at by the chocolate lounge attendant in a way that said "please dont ask me anything", i couldn't take it any more and once again approached the reception desk and explained to the lady that this was not the way that a five star hotel deals with guests. i understand about the room not being ready, nut reall? we were not even offered a drink of water! the response i got was a bit infuriating but i kept my cool and smiled through all. she said "water, you want some water?" I explaib=ned that that wasnt the point and wet on to give a tutorial on how to welcome a guest, show them where the rest room facilities are etc whilst their room/suite is being prepared.

she listened then asked what i expected the to do. by now i was quite exasperated as you can imagine. the language barrier most probably added to it. the staff are not eqipped with the best skills in english, but good enough i guess. Anyway, i went on to say that this is where you apologise to the gueat, and star over. took her a while, but we eventually got there:)

yay! our suite was ready and a lovely suite it was, looking upon the british embassy. nop faults here. clean, spacious, comfortable, two comfortable bathrooms, good entertainment..all that you would need.

the next glitch. the complimentary mini bar menu stated that all coca cola products may be replaced with complimentary pepsi upon request. so my husband called and requested this to be told that they did not have pepsi. he then mentioned what was stated in the menu, and was told that it could be proveded with a charge. he then reiterated the word complimentary. the attendent then siad that she would consult with her superior and get back to us. it took a while, but the drinks did eventually come...and they left a delicious piece of cake in our room for us. a cute touch:)

It was almost as if they were trying, but didn't know exactly how. Management??

All in all this is not a bad hotel to stay at. Its comfortable, clean, and centrally located. i would just advise that if you stay here, just stay and dont expect more of the hotel or you will be dissapointed and open doors for you to become unecessarily annoyed. we didnt do any meals at the hotel at all, but rather dined at the Hilton down the road and any reputable restaurant. Worked well for us. (please becareful of food poisoning in Cairo)

also, dont expect the finer touches such as having the doors opened for you every time you enter and leave the hotel. they are really heavy doors and my husband would run fowrd to help we whilst i struggled with both hands, but no one else put a hop in their step to do so. At first i found it odd, then grew to not expect it. Shopping bags as well, dont expect to be helped with your shopping bags to your room, or asked if your take out meals could be plated and heated...no, no extras here.

dont be disheartened, if the seasons is out of your budget, dont rule the kempinski out.

Room Tip: suites...if u like space. apparrently the normal rooms are quite small. we had a city facing suite...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank muniera_i
Kempinski N, General Manager at Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.
We are so disappointed we didn’t meet your expectations; on the other hand your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continuously improving our service. Please make sure that the incidents you have mentioned are not our standards at all, which made us very surprised and disappointed.
Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate employees, and serious actions had been taken and I can assure you that these issues won’t occur again.
We hope we get the chance to welcoming you again and please ask for me in personal during your visit so that I can make sure you are accommodated in everything you might need.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at the Kempinski Nile for three nights during the protests in Cairo in September 2012. Because I didn't want to venture out because of the tear gas and protestors nearby I spent most of my down time at the hotel. My impression was the people who work here really are genuinely interested in the comfort of their guests. The hotel car picked me up at the airport and delivered me to the hotel. The reception desk was helpful and expedient and in five minutes I was in my room. I chose to dine at the Ottoman restaurant the first night and the meal and service was excellent. I got to know the restaurant manager Ms Ozcan a little and it is obvious she takes great pride in the food and service. I was so impressed I at there all three evenings and was never disappointed except the wine is really expensive.
The room had WiFi so taking care of business and answering emails was easy. The breakfast was fine by hotel standards and it was nice to have a chef who would cook omelets just the way you ask. Check out was straightforward with plenty of opportunity to view the final bill. I paid the $75 for the 'Gold Card' and it entitled me to free 30 minute massages per day and a discount on the restaurant so for me it was worth it. I was able to watch the protests from my room that going on just a couple of blocks away. Was more interesting that television!
I thought for the price and location that the service was excellent. When I return to Cairo I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Randy B
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our stay at the Kempinski was absolutely spectacular. Cairo is a very busy crowded city and after a day of sightseeing, there was nothing more pleasurable than coming back to the hotel. Definitely book the room with a balcony overlooking the Nile, it is gorgeous. The staff in the hotel overall is exceptional and the butler service makes you feel like a VIP. The room service rates we found was also very reasonable for us and the meal was enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. Kempinski Nile deserves a 12 out of 10

Room Tip: Get the room with the balcony and Nile view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

The room nice and the bed comfortable but the room not luxury and the room small also the bathroom small. The light nice the view nice There is no coffee maker in the room the lobby is look like 4 star hotel its ti small the entrance small when ido checkout they add some extra in my bell. They add parking the are not honest idonot recomended this hotel. Irecomend fairmont nile city the room bigger and luxury and they are friendly.

الفندق لم يعجبني غالي ع الفاضي الغرفه صغيره والحمام صغير وطبعا تم التلاعب في فاتورتي اثنا نغادرتي قانوا باضافت اشيا لم اقم بطلبها. لزوار القاهره انصحكم بفندق فيرمونت نيل سيتي الغرفه اكبر وارقى

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor,
We are so disappointed to read that we didn’t meet your expectations. We are so keen to provide our guests with the most comfortable stay; therefore we provide free In-Room Tea and Coffee especially prepared by your private butler who’s up to your requests 24/7.
Regarding your bill, if you have any doubts about any extra charges please contact us immediately or send us your contacts and please make sure we will run a full investigation to find out the reason behind these extra charges as we take such issues very seriously.
We are looking forward to hear from you soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

It's a great hotel and a beautiful restaurants and a nice spa and pools and its looks at the Nile from the window it's very nice ,there are a nice restaurants called blue its very nice

And best regards from : Khaled

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was the second time at this hotel, unfortunately I would say
That it has been unable to maintain the previous high level of service.
At the same time it remains excellent in many ways. The food at
Breakfast is very varied and you can eat from the buffet or get the
Chefs to cook something up for you. The hotel is very clean. The
Staff ever eager to assist in any way.

On the downside the minibar was not automatically replenished
Every day. When we asked housekeeping to bring some more chocolate
He said he would inform the butler and we waited for an hour: nothing.
We rang down and twenty minutes later they brought it.

Service in the Turkish restaurant needs improving. TheBlue Restaurant
On the other hand was very good, as was the chocolate bar (though the
Latter seems understaffed at times).

There was a big hassle at checkout. I had left a large cash deposit but
Decided to pay the bill by card. I was told the payment had been declined
When I contacted my bank they told me it had gone through but that
Somebody had tried to take a payment for 300 pounds sterling
Just after and that (very suspicious) had been declined, not the first
Payment. I paid the bill in cash but continued to push the
Reception to find out what had happened. They rang the hotel bank
Who finally agreed they had taken the money but had returned
It. I still have not received the sum back, and I still have no idea who
Tried to authorise the extra three hundred pounds. I just hope I get
The money back from the payment that did go through

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Kempinski N, General Manager at Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We are so glad we got the chance to welcoming you at our hotel during your second visit to Cairo and that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your thoughts and concerns are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience to our guests. We are so disappointed that you had to wait for your Minibar replenished and please rest assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the staff and this won’t occur again.

Regarding your Credit Card issue, after investigating we have found out that the bank held the amount but it was not transferred to the hotel account and the transaction have never been completed. We have called the bank again and they assured us that nothing have been transferred to our hotel account. We are kindly asking you to check with your bank and let us know in case you encountered any troubles.

We hope to see you again soon and please ask for me during your next visit so I can make sure you are accommodated in everything you desire.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We are well traveled and have stayed previously in Egypt. The hotel was outstanding and although we spent most of our time touring the sites and the city we did use the pool, the Chocolate Lounge, The Turkish Restaurant and used their in house car service.
The service is truly world class - my wife said it felt as if we had been treated like Royalty for a week. A genuinely warm and exceptional service culture we have not seen so professionally executed anywhere else in the world.
Great views of the River from the Pool and great to walk to the Cairo Tower and Egyptian Museum. Although crossing the road in Cairo is a harrowing experience when the hotel staff are not helping you!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple