“Average food, fantastic show! Leyla saved the evening.”
Review of Nile Maxim

Nile Maxim
Ranked #217 of 4,182 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Trondheim, Norway
“Average food, fantastic show! Leyla saved the evening.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Boat: The entrance to the boat fooled us: we went fully through the big and grand 3-deck 'Nile Maxim' boat and entered a smaller less grand 1-deck boat on other side - felt a bit like a gag in a Chaplinmovie :-) Considering the dry-up of tourism in Cairo they are forgiven - the boat was only half full on a monday evening.

Food and service: The best of the food was the salladbuffet. The a'la carte was like from an average grillrestaurant in Anywhere and service was distant and sloppy.

Enternainment: Fantastic dancers and music: Sufidancer was superb and the Bellydancer Layla was full of sensuality, flirt and humour - great fun and worth the trip alone.

At E£ 2.000 for three persons it felt overpriced for a Cairo dinnercruise, but the entertainment saved the evening and gave us unforgettable moments. If your wallet is stuffed: go!

• Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
New York
“Great value for price”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

While staying at the Mariott we had dinner on this dinner boat. It was a great show starting with singers who sang Middle East pop, then a Sufi (Whirling Dervish) show, then an amazing belly dancer. The quality of the bands, singers, and dancers/performers were amazing. I've seen enough to know the difference between high quality and low, and these were high quality. The dinner was a bit overprice, but you're paying for a show and boat ride at the same time (which are just part of the dinner you don't pay for tickets to come, nothing but for dinner), so it was worth it and was a good time.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Michelle R
Cairo, Egypt
“great”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

the atmosphere was great in general but what's truly counted is the food selections and quality,simply its one of the fewest places where u can hang out and enjoy eating

Visited December 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“Overpriced, average service, indoor smoke not circulated”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

SERVICE:
Service was good to start with, but fell off pretty quickly. We were seated at a nice table against the window and promptly given menus. Our orders were taken quickly and our waiter explained where the salad buffet was and came back with a drinks menu. However he did not come back to take our drink order - after 10 minutes of waiting we had to wave down a waiter who was looking after other tables. I did not enjoy the red wine by the glass (but that's personal preference) - to me it tasted like wine served out of a cask. It was also difficult to get a waiter's attention to get our water bottle replaced.
When we finished our basket of bread, we were promptly given another full basket of bread, however we were not given additional butter.

FOOD:
The ordered meals were decent - but very overpriced. I paid the equivalent of AU$40 + 22% taxes for a 250g eye fillet which was well undercooked (I ordered medium rare but it was blood red throughout, rather than pink). Our other meals were tasty, but not worth the premium price.
There was two salad bars to avoid congestion of guests. The salad bar was pretty average. I tried about 8 different salads and the only one I enjoyed was the coleslaw (which was excellent).
The desserts were very good. I ordered the cheesecake with a strawberry sauce which was served on the side of the cheesecake. I really enjoyed the dessert, however the strawberry sauce was very sweet.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The entertainment was fairly good. The first act was a trio - two singers and a guy working the keyboard and music. They played modern Western songs.
The second act was a band - later accompanied by a belly dancer. The music was loud and the acoustics of the boat made certain instruments ring really loudly in my ears, but overall the music was OK. The dancer was decent, from what I saw - which I will explain in the next paragraph.

SMOKING:
There were two tables in the middle of the restaurant who smoked like chimneys. I realise that this isn't Australia where smoking is totally banned in indoor restaurants, however I would still have expected there to be a designated smoking (or non smoking) area. That and there was no air circulation whatsoever, so the smoke didn't go anywhere, it just blanketed everyone. After meals had finished been served, a lot of the guests left watching the belly dancing to get some fresh air outside. It was disappointing that ten people seated in the middle of the restaurant managed to blanket the entire restaurant in smoke. As I am an asthmatic, I had to go outside for the remaining half hour or so of the cruise.

If I was to return to Cairo I would not dine here again.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Maelstrom38
Adelaide, Australia
“Smoked Out! A disaster of an evening! Asthmatics beware!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Smoked Out! A disaster of an evening! Asthmatics beware!

When in Cairo you do a river dinner show. We chose Nile Maxim. The food was reasonable, though expensive, and the singers who started the entertainment were talented. The Egyptian spin dancing was OK (not as good as at Al Tannoura) but the accompaniment was very loud. I’m unable to comment on the post-dinner belly-dancing entertainment as the room filled with cigar and cigarette smoke immediately some diners finished their meals.

Myself and at least 25% of the diners spent the last half of the evening standing outside braving the cold (yes it was cold in January 2013, about 8 degrees C at that evening) so that they could have the pleasure of breathing the less polluted Cairo air. Over 30 people lined the outside deck, complaining to each other and coughing.

My complaint to the manager with about 45 minutes of the trip still to go was met with polite indifference until I said I wouldn’t pay the whole bill. I offered a little over 1/3, as we had enjoyed about 1/3 of the evening. I was (eventually) offered a 25% discount which I refused. I was prevented from leaving by 6 burly bouncers, and who attempted to intimidate me. After I loudly insisted that they call the Tourist Police, while other guests were still present, the owner arrived. After I mentioned the review I intended to post on Trip Advisor the owner offered 50%, which I accepted. The money wasn’t the issue. The problem was the fact that what should have been a pleasant, although expensive, part of my holiday was ruined.

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ANYBODY EXCEPT HEAVY SMOKERS. ASTHMATICS BEWARE!

• Visited January 2013