“pathetic breads n service...”
Review of Massala

Massala
Ranked #735 of 4,182 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Massala is an Authentic North Indian Cuisine. Open for Lunch and Dinner from 2:00 pm till midnight.
delhi
“pathetic breads n service...”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

In the last trip to cairo I went to try the so very famous "massala" at "The Karvin Hotel" in cairo.
To my surprise it was just me and a egytian group of 7-8 youngsters on an easter day in the restaurant when rest of the cairo was flooded with people...
Well it was already my 9th day in cairo so you can well understand the craving for a real authentic Indian dinner (as i read from the reviews here). well after consulting the steward about what is best option i ordered paneer makhani and tawa paratha.
It took good 20 odd minutes when there were hardly any people in the restaurant to have the food on my table ... n that too the tawa paratha was as white as may be white bread... so asked him to make it more crispy which further took him 15 minutes to do so n finally i got a papadum paratha which was not at all edible as there a typical after taste of the oil they used and it was so hard that i couldnt even finish half... I thought of ordering tawa roti instead so once again i called in for roti... i was lucky enough to have it in 10 mins ... but the whole wheat tawa roti was again as fair as egyptians ... basically there is no whole wheat concept i guess its all flour they have in cairo! the gravy was good minus the after taste of the same oil and excess of acidic ingredients (i although asked for spicy but it was acidic n not hot).
I am really hopeful that the owner would surely read this and make some changes as i have read so much about the owner that I am cent percent sure that he would do his best to make this place number 1 in cairo!
will be visiting massala again soon on my next trip to cairo!

• Visited April 2014

“Real Indian Food:)”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The food is just amazing. I really liked the variety the menu offers. Although the place is a bit small and not very fancy, but I went there to enjoy real indian food and I did. I just loved the whole experience and I'll defenitly be back soon.

• Visited March 2014
Cairo, Egypt
“Real Indian but service needs to be better”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

If you are looking for real indian food, this is the place to go. I love how the owner treats his guests, most of the time he is around checking on each table himself and chat with guests to make sure everything is alright.

The restaurant has two locations, one a semi formal dining at the first floor of the hotel and the other is a casual cafe/restaurant at the roof top.

Of course in a town where bad service is the norm, this place is no exception. we had argument with the manager almost everytime we are there, for example one time we asked to lower the sound of tv, the manager refused claiming that this is the standard of the place. we had an argument that nobody is watching since we were the only guests and would like to have a conversation. but no use.

Othertime, we asked to be seated in the isolated area in the roof since we were big group of friends and wanted to be away from tv noise so we can talk, again he refused claiming that one side of the roof should be full with guests before opening the other side. since both sides are connected what he said did not make any sense.

we had a long chat with the owner about the service but we know it is hard to find a decent trained staff in such industry in town.

With all the bad service incidents, Masala is still the favourit indian restaurant for myself and my husband. everytime we decide to go we hope that the owner is there to avoid the bad service.

• Visited December 2013
“One of my best dining experiences in Cairo !”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The food was marvelous and not at all overpriced. I also loved the setting and service was great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for Indian food or even for a good place to eat.

• Visited February 2014
Cairo, Egypt
“Best Indian Food in Cairo”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Although the place setting is not fancy at all (which might be the only drawback!); it serves the best Indian food in the city by far and with very good prices.

• Visited December 2013